PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite, most comfy walking shoes

Momof3Labs
08-27-2005, 04:43 PM
We are headed to WDW in a few weeks and I'm thinking about a new pair of shoes for all that walking (plus, I'm walking for two, right?). I have a wide foot, so need something available in wide or, like Tevas, adjustable to a wide foot. It will be still quite hot there, so a sandal or athletic shoe (something that works with shorts and cropped pants) is preferred.

Tevas and Chacos have caught my eye, but I'm looking for some good recommendations before ordering!

So, what do you don for the day when you have a lot of walking ahead of you?

elliput
08-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Up until a couple of months ago I would have told you I have worn Birkenstocks almost exclusively for any type of walking. But I got a pair of Born sandals and Merrel mules in June and both are super comfy also. Whatever you get, make sure it has good arch support. Nothin' worse than having achin' feet and an achin' back, especially when you're PG!

jbowman
08-27-2005, 05:04 PM
I absolutely love Clarks sandals (I wear the style "Sunbeat")--they are so comfortable that I could run a marathon in them. They are absolutely the most comfortable shoe that I've ever worn! They've made it through countless trips to Europe & around the US, 1 1/2 pregnancies (and counting :)), and many walks. So comfortable that you don't need to break them in! I think they work well with many styles of clothing, even casual dresses. And they are PERFECT for wide feet (since the straps are adjustable):

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1095616/c/84.html

Also super comfy are Nike Shox mules. I can't find a link, but they are awesome as well!

Good luck!

R2sweetboys
08-27-2005, 05:23 PM
I second the recommendation of Born sandals. I got a pair off of ebay for a reasonable price and they are the most comfy sandals I've ever owned. They have cushioning that makes them feel so good on my feet. I'm also a Nike girl and like their basic sandals but I don't have any foot issues so I'm not sure if they are the most supportive.

Have a great time at Disney! Where are you staying? We went this past spring and the spring before and had the best time. We stayed at the Contemporary in 04 and Port Orleans Riverside this past time. Both were great! I'm not sure if you want any advice but mine would be to work around Colin's needs. If he still naps, I highly recommend getting to the parks in the A.M. at opening and going back to your hotel early afternoon for a nap or just a swim break. You'll surely need breaks too since your travelling for two. :) You may already be familiar w/ WDW, but if you do have any ?s I'd be happy to try and help.

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

dowlinal
08-27-2005, 05:25 PM
Lori,

Since I will also be walking for two in WDW I went on a hunt a few weeks ago for a good shoe. I ended up buying a pair of keens and I love them. They are as comfortable as a sneaker but they are open so my feet don't get all hot and icky.

These are the ones I got in navy

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product_brandboutique.asp?styleid=2858574&boutique=keen&category=2376778~2372811~2385115~2385117~2385188&NextStyleID=2858569&PrevStyleID=2858576

I know that a lot of the outdoor stores around here are having big sales on sandels so you might be able to find a good deal.

mudder17
08-27-2005, 07:05 PM
I used to be a Birke die-hard fan and in fact still love my Mary Janes for the winter and my other sandals for the summer. However, this summer, my absolutely favorite walking shoes (and I also have wide feet) are also Clarks sandals (based on recs from this board, and quite possibly Jill :)). The ones I have are these:

http://www.englinsfinefootwear.com/search.asp?7=vela&1=Go

They're on sale, plus they have free shipping and free returns. I actually ended up ordering 4 different sandals from them and returned 3 of them and paid nothing for shipping. Love that type of C.S. :) I will definitely be a repeat customer with them.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

Laurelsmom2002
08-27-2005, 07:11 PM
Just bought these and I'm wearing them alot lately
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6992790/c/589/g/women/w/3.html

Yes there is alot of walking at WDW, but lots of sitting too- fast pass the popular stuff and you can make the day enjoyable-- plus it is ungodly hot right now- stay in the air as much as possible.

smomom
08-27-2005, 09:26 PM
I've had foot problems since my pregnancy with Stefan. The only brand that feels good on my feet are Keens. They run a little wide and have a good arch support. I can't find a great selection of styles locally, so I usually order from Zappos and take advantage of their price guarantee if I find them cheaper somewhere else.

nd93
08-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I bought some Merrell sandals before a WDW trip 2 years ago and they were awesome! Not a blister or sore foot.

Momof3Labs
08-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Okay, I'm looking into some of these.

Merrells are out because they are not available in wide. I had one pair once and wanted to love them, but they pain they caused from being too narrow for me wasn't worth it.

I have had a pair of Clarks and really liked them, but they are so stretched out after what I thought was a fairly limited period of use. But maybe I'll order a new pair from zappos or shoebuy and just return them if I find something else.

I don't see wide sizes in Keens either but may still give those a try. Have never tried Born, but only see a lot of backless sandals. And there's the width thing.

Ah, darn my dad and his EEE wide foot!!

marinkitty
08-27-2005, 10:03 PM
No shoe suggestions, Lori as I need some myself, but had to say I was frantically reading down the thread hoping someone would clue me in as to where WDW was? I'm thinking, did she mistype WDC for Washington D.C. She can't mean Dallas Ft. Worth. Then just as I was despairing of figuring it out I had a "D-oh" moment. I think I need to go to bed! LOL!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

dowlinal
08-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Lori,
I have a wide foot but the keens still work for me so it might be worth trying them on. I bought them 1/2 size up to accomodate my poor already starting to swell tootsies especially since I swelled up like that girl in Willy Wonka when I flew while pregnant w/ Madeline.

momto2boys
08-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I live in Born shoes and sandals. I bought my sixth and seventh pair this year because they are so comfy. I broke my foot a few years ago and had part of a bone removed because of this injury. This is about the only brand of shoes I am able to wear now. I just purchased a pair of loafers at TJ MAXX and noticed that the size info stamped on the inside says "8 M/W". So they should work for you.

I also bought a pair of Crocs recently. They're are quite ugly but oh so comfortable! FWIW, these are Faith Hill's favorite shoes. They come in a plethora of colors and weigh next to nothing but they aren't the prettiest shoes out there - they look like gardening clogs. Fortunately, I'm willing to sacrifice looks for comfort. They are so comfy that I find myself putting these on in lieu of my Born shoes unless I need something a little more 'mainstream'. I also get tons of questions/compliments regarding them - especially from people who work in the medical profession.

Good luck in your shoe hunt and have fun at WDW!

Kathy
SAHM to DS 12-01 & DS 11-03
TTC #3 (which will probably be another boy!)

HannaAddict
08-28-2005, 12:38 AM
I love my Keens. I've been amazed at how comfortable they are for walking, even taking long dog walks, and from day one. No breaking them in, etc. And they are slides (Saratoga style), not a style generally preferred for walking. Husband has some Born brand shoes from the Nordstrom Rack and he said they are incredibly comfortable. But can't vouch for their women's sizes.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

Have fun at WDW and give us a trip report later.

Marcy_O
08-28-2005, 10:30 AM
I have simple pair of merrill's that I love! They're a flip flop kind of look, but they're very comfy and don't flop. I got them in the clearance room at Von Maur for 43.00.

boys2enough
08-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Lori,

Thank you for starting the thread to fuel my new found obsession. I guess I can't buy any more strollers or diaper bags... Shoes it is then. ;-) (Btw, my wallet and DH thank you too! lol)

Just want to wish you a wonderful vacation and nice flights too if you are flying. Remember to let us know which pair(s) of shoes you decide on.

While I was gladlyg clicking away on all the threads, I came across some Mephisto shoes. Expensive! But cute for fall. I am liking these a lot, but with my black wardrobe, I will be totally ready for Halloween with these shoes.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29071.jpg

Have fun at WDW. Which stroller are you bringing? Or none? (*gasp!*)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

Momof3Labs
08-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Lin - you crack me up! So far I've ordered some Tevas, some Crocs, a pair of Keens and a pair of Chacos. I've NEVER spent close to $100 on a pair of shoes, but it should be worth it if it keeps me walking on our vacation!

Decided to bring the Chicco 2002. It is our only stroller that still accomodates DS's long, long legs, so he'll be comfier, and we won't be reminding him all the time to stop dragging his feet on the wheels! If the airlines trash it like they have the last two strollers I've flown with, I'll be LIVID but at least they come up regularly on Swap for a reasonable price!

Thatchermom
08-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Me too! Wide feet and Keens are very happy together. I was so surprised to finally put on a sandal and not feel like my little toe was trying to secede from the rest of my foot! My first day in my Keens was at Disneyland, then I've hiked around the Czech Republic in them. They still look fabulous (machine washable!) and I'm looking for a pair for winter or I'll turn into a sock-and-sandal wearing gal.

pritchettzoo
09-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Looking myself...

Thanks!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

Momof3Labs
09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Well, I should be banned from shoebuy.com and zappos.com soon for all of my returns, lol!!

I'm struggling to find a good combination of soft top (vs. stiff or rough edges) and good support for the sole and arch. Here's what I've tried:

Keens - two styles had a very stiff upper that rubbed me wrong. Another style I tried at ####'s Sporting Goods wasn't too bad but they didn't have both shoes in my size. They do run wide.

Clarks Sunbeat - I love my leather pair that is all stretched out, but the nubuck pair had very rough edges.

Tevas - toe strap hit my foot wrong. Not much arch support either. The leather version had ridiculous padding on the straps that was VERY uncomfy for me.

Crocs - very interesting, surprisingly comfy! I sized up to a medium (8-9) in the Beach style even though I'm usually a 7.5W and these run big. Not necessarily for lots of heavy walking, but comfy nonetheless.

Chacos - These run BIG! Whole sizes only, so I blindly ordered an 8W for my 7.5W foot. The straps are fully adjustable, but the heel strap was still too big for me. So I'm returning for a 7W. Great arch support, straps are webbed and very soft on the foot. I have high hopes for these, but it depends on how the 7W fits!

And in general, zappos.com is easier to deal with. They ship everything in one box, and shipped FAST (ordered on Sat or Sun, rec'd on Tues). Shoebuy.com ships from multiple locations and took almost a week for the last box to arrive. And you have to return all in one box (even though they shipped each pair separately) so have to hunt for a box to use. The flip side is that shoebuy usually has better coupons available!

So I'm a little closer, but not quite there. Don't know what I'll do if the Chacos don't cut it since we're leaving in 2 weeks!!

deenass
09-06-2005, 09:36 PM
I have a pair of New Balance slip on sneakers from Nordstrom's. I loved slip on shoes doing my pregnancy!

tbriese
09-06-2005, 10:05 PM
i love croc's! i am on my feet all day (10 hours) and it feels like i'm walking on marshmallows! lots of fun colors, too!

cmdunn1972
09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I have a pair of leather Eastland sandals that I wear pretty much everywhere, and they only cost $50. What I like is that the buckle lets you adjust the width of the shoe. I have really high arches, and a lot of sandals just hit me funny, but these are no problem:

http://www.eastlandshoe.com/eshop/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3&pf%5Fid=010

For city walking, I have a pair of New Balance (dark grey/blue) walking shoes that I think are discontinued, but you can probably find street shoes just about anywhere. Street shoes are considered pretty stylish right now, or so I've heard. (BONUS!! :) )

amp
09-07-2005, 01:59 PM
>Shoebuy.com ships from multiple
>locations and took almost a week for the last box to arrive.
>And you have to return all in one box (even though they
>shipped each pair separately) so have to hunt for a box to
>use. The flip side is that shoebuy usually has better coupons
>available!

First, let me say I thought it was just me who had this issue when I ordered from Shoebuy once, and without know it ahead of time, I ordered 4 pair of shoes, in order to pick 1! Won't do that again from there! Glad to hear it wasn't just me who had to hunt for a box!

Second, I'll be interested in what shoe you end up with. I also have wide feet and am reading, with great interest, which shoes work w/ wide feet AND are comfy! Do you have a link to the Chacos you are looking at? I'm not familiar w/ them at all.

Momof3Labs
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Andrea, I don't have a link right now, but the Chacos are at shoebuy.com. I ordered the Z/1 Colorado style (since they are primarily for Disney) and think that most of their styles are sandals. But that may be because that's all I am paying attention to right now!