PDA

View Full Version : Sunday morning trip to the ER - my first.

Sillygirl
08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Jonathan's fine, thankfully. He was playing in the hallway while I put away laundry and he came crawling in to see me, chewing on something. I figured it was carpet fuzz but thought I might as well pull it out anyway. I pinched his nostrils shut until he opened his mouth and pulled out a huge evil-looking staple! We use them to tack the phone line down along the baseboards. I went out into the hallway to look and the whole phone line has been pulled loose, and there are three more staples lying on the floor. Meanwhile, Jonathan's yowling because he doesn't like me pulling stuff out of his mouth. And my husband is at the office with the phone turned off, working on a server upgrade. I couldn't be sure Jonathan hadn't swallowed another staple.

Anyway, I hauled him in to the ER, which was practically empty. I sort of subtly let the front desk know I was a doctor at the hopsital anyway. He got a few X-rays and thankfully there aren't any other staples in him. And the round trip only took ninety minutes. So for our first trip to the ER, it went well and had a happy ending. Still, I am kicking myself for just assuming he didn't have the strength to pull up that cord. Off for another round of babyproofing. . .

octmom
08-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Yikes, Katie! I am so glad that Jonathan is OK! I'm sure it was a scary experience, but it sounds like the ER visit wasn't as traumatic as they can sometimes be. Whew!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

boys2enough
08-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi, Sorry to hear about the scare. Thankfully it's just a scare. Still, bless your heart, you must have been so frightened. Since you are a doctor, I wonder whether you panic less and were able to remain calm? I could imagine myself running around like a headless chicken in a high-stress situation like this, and frankly this thought (that I will not be able to take care my kids in emergency) scares me and stresses me out even more. Guess I am the silly one here. ;-)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

DebbieJ
08-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Glad you're all okay!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

mommy_someday
08-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Jeepers, Katie! What a scary experience - I would've freaked out! I'm glad Jonathan is okay. Wow, what a way to find out that you need a bit more baby-proofing done... I think I'm going to have to mention this one to my MIL since she has her phone lines (and LOTS of them) stapled and taped to the walls. Sorry you had such a nightmare of a morning. ((HUGS))

starrynight
08-28-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm glad he is ok!!!

brittone2
08-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Glad to know Jonathan is okay :) I know those near-misses always get me thinking, so sometimes they happen for a reason IMHO. We all have them.

I hope tonight is a little more relaxing than earlier today :)