PDA

View Full Version : Brighton's Eye-what's up?

Marcy_O
08-28-2005, 10:02 AM
Ever since yesterday morning, his left eye has been watering and I have to clean out boogers (slightly green) from the corners. We went to a garden and landscape show yesterday and where we were placed was under big white pine trees. I thought maybe something got into it but I can't find anything. I've put BM in his eye twice, should I continue until I can get to the doctor? It's not mattering as bad as it was, but that it's still watering bothers me. He doesn't seem uncomfortable at all. and yesterday when I put the BM in his eye it cleared up right away but started again later in the afternoon. And now it's watering again and I just pulled out a big piece of goo. His eye looks slightly red too in the outside corner...ANY ADVICE PLEASE!!

alkagift
08-28-2005, 11:51 AM
It may be an allergy, or it may be conjunctivitis. Please, someone else tell me if I've got this wrong, but there are two types of conjunctivitis. One is viral and is the result of any number of viruses which can cause other symptoms or not. In either case, you just keep the eye clean and it will work itself out. The ped should know, just in case she can recommend something for itching. The other type is bacterial, commonly known as Pink Eye. This is highly contagious and will easily go from his eye to yours or anyone else's! We had one round of that here a long time ago and it wasn't fun. You need antibiotic drops for that.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/

Marisa6826
08-28-2005, 12:37 PM
sounds like pink eye. call and ask your ped for drops asap. it can get pretty nasty.

-m

kthomp
08-28-2005, 12:48 PM
It could very well be conjunctivitis. Especially if you were out in an area with a lot of people; he might of got a hold of something someone who was infected touched. Pink eye spreads like wildfire, it is super contagious.

It could also be a blocked tear duct. Has this ever happened before? My DD had a blocked tear duct until she was about a year old, and it was no fun. She got several infections where her eye would get really goopy and runny.

I would recommend you go to the dr to get it looked at. If it is a blocked duct, PM me as I have a great treatment to unclog it!

MMEand1
08-28-2005, 01:47 PM
My DD had this shortly after she was born. The PED looked at it and said that she had a clogged tear duct. He told us to keep it clean and massage the tear duct area several times a day. It cleared up after 2-3 days.
Good luck. Hope he gets better soon.
Mariah P.

sidmand
08-28-2005, 08:20 PM
That sounds like what DS had--we had a party for him and 95 people came and one of them left him a present of conjunctiviitis!

They told us the symptoms were pretty much the same for a clogged tear duct and for conjunctivitis--but the green goo sounds more like pus, which would be conjunctivitis.

They gave us some antibiotics to put in his eye (I made them give us an appointment since I didn't want to put antibiotics in his eye if it was a blocked tear duct, but it wasn't). It cleared up in a couple of days. Just be careful because it's very very contagious. Make sure you're careful with yourself.

Sorry for any typos--typing with kiddo onboard.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Mommy_Again
08-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Sounds like pink eye. Will had it a few months ago - he ate a banana for breakfast so the first time I noticed the "gunk" I wiped it away and said "gross will, you put banana in your eye." An hour later it was back and I called the doc. It's easy to get rid of, the doc will prescribe eyedrops for you to put in until its gone.

Marcy_O
08-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Thanks girls. I thought it might be pink eye. I looked in my "baby book" and it said that yes, there are two types, one is contagious one is not. His eye is no longer red just goopy. Dr. Sears said if it's not red it's not contagious and so far I've not gotten anything myself. I am going to call the ped today.

Why does it seem that A. everything happens on a weekend? And B. two hours seem like FOREVER when you need to get a hold of the Dr.? LOL

Thanks again!

Marcy_O
08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
Yep, Bright's got pink eye. Been really goopy today and turned red again. Dr. gave me some erythromycin drops and said to continue to cleanse it with Breast Milk. DH is staying home with him tomorrow since we're not taking him to day care until it's gone. Poor guy, his eye is all teary and goopy...