PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! i think my DD is allergic to carrots!

megs4413
08-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I think my 4 1/2 month old is allergic to carrots, but I don't know how to tell for sure. She has broken out into a rash on her face. It doesn't appear to be reaised but it's on both sides in circular lines. This is only the second time she has eaten carrots. If she is allergic does she need medicine or anything? Should I call the ped? I feel so terrible that I gave her something she's allergic to! I need some reassurance and advice.

Mermanaid
08-28-2005, 08:51 PM
If the rash isn't spreading, everything is probably okay. If she's having trouble breathing or acting funny at all, go ahead and call your ped or go to the ER.

My little one was allergic to many things at that age, and we were told to quit giving the food and the rash would go away. Our Ped GI says many babies are allergic to jarred carrots (is that what you gave her?). He doesn't know why...thinks it's something in the manufacturing process...but told us to hold off until she was 8-9mo and give her fresh steamed carrots to see if we get the same reaction.

ETA: didn't really answer your question. We were told not to give Benadryl at such a young age, but others may have received different advice.

ykc
08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Call the doctor if you're daughter seems uncomfortable, has trouble breathing, or her face seems to be swollen. Or if you're really worried.

I agree w/ PP that sometimes babies react to things that they may not be or stay allergic to. My son got a really blotchy face from Yo'Baby pear yogurt when he was about 10mos old. He now eats all pears and all yogurts without any trouble--two of his favourite foods.

ETA: Don't feel guilty--there's no way to tell ahead of time whether a person is going to be allergic to something. And you need at least two exposures to have a reaction. That said, your daughter probably doesn't need to have anything but breast milk or formula right now, as far as nutrition is concerned, so you might want to give her gut a few more weeks to mature before giving her more new foods.