PDA

View Full Version : OT: Would you buy a glass-top dining table?

Alys the Cat
08-29-2005, 11:20 AM
I've been looking for a simple-but-modern dining set for ages, without much luck. However, I did just find an Italian line (www.calligaris.it) that has extendable tables with tempered glass inserts. Am I crazy to even consider these, with DS in the house?

The styles I'm looking at have wood "frames," so the edges of the glass are not exposed. They do make plain wood tables, too.

Someone, please talk some sense into me! Recommendations on other furniture lines welcome, too...

TIA,

ribbit1019
08-29-2005, 11:55 AM
Well I can see why you like them, they are slick!

I would vote to go for it. My mom got a glass table (round, with metal frame) when I was 5 or 6 my sister was 3 or 4. It is a beautiful table and I love it. And best of all she still has it!

I miss having a glass table myself, my wood one at 2 years of age looks like it has been through the war with all the tossed plates cups and silverware from DD and other young guests.

Sigh, but I couldn't talk DH into it. Maybe when the kids are older.

GL on finding something!

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

bostonsmama
08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
I guess it just depends on whether you're a neat freak or not. My dad is, and growing up we had a table just like that (very modern-lines, actually) and he cleaned it every single night after dinner, both top and underside) with Windex. He also popped the glass out of it's frame to get the crumbs, grease and other sticky spills out of the inset channel that holds the glass. Esp if you have kids and plan on using this table more than once a week....skip it get something solid. To me, there's nothing inherently wrong with a glass top, but the groves holding the glass will collect surprising amounts of dust and debris.

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

JBaxter
08-29-2005, 12:03 PM
I have a glass top kitchen table and the only problem I have had was when DS started walking he would walk into the table I put a table cloth on it for a while and now at 22 months he doesnt have a problem. I dont think the edges or corners are any worse than any other table. I like mine. Here is a pic in my kitchen.

karolyp
08-29-2005, 12:16 PM
I have a glass top dining set that I got from Ashley Furniture and I love it!! I've included a pic of the set I got. Ashley's website is:

http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/Catalog/styles.asp?Group=3&NA=0

They have lots of glass top tables and even glass top tables with wood frames. My DD's 6 months old so I don't have a problem with her and the table (yet) :), but I have 12 nieces and nephews and haven't had a problem. In fact my 9 month old nephew would walk under the table and look up at the food and try to grab it....very cute!!

I say go for it!!!

amp
08-29-2005, 01:08 PM
No way! Between the gunk and the fingerprints, I think I would hate a glass top table. But that's JMHO.

bunnisa
08-29-2005, 01:37 PM
No way! I had a gorgeous glass coffee table during my single days, and although it looked great, it was SO much work for a little table.

They show every little speck of dust, every tiny fingerprint. The only reason I'd consider one is if I had a very small space and wanted to keep it feeling open. But even still...!

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

alleyoop
08-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Such great designs! We have a glass kitchen table (actually a rod iron patio table with glass top) that I really like. I do end up windexing the table 2-3 times a day to get the smeared food off of it, but I think I would do that with a wood table too (and probably have destroyed the finish by now). I agree with pp that probably the inset glass would bother me due to the collection of crap in the channel and not wanting to windex the wood issue. I would go all glass or none, IMHO.

hth!

Karenn
08-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Nope, nope, nope! It wouldn't stay clean for more than 10 minutes at a time! And that would drive me crazy!

However, if the table were going to go in a formal dining room that was only used occasionally, it might not be the worst thing in the world. I would never have it as an everyday table though.

g-mama
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
No. We had a gorgeous round bistro-style glass table from Ethan Allen pre-kids and even then, it was a pain to keep clean. The fingerprints it picked up were enough to make me crazy. You have to clean the underside, too, esp w/ kids because they put their hands all over it while pulling their chairs in, while walking/playing underneath it...

We got rid of ours for these very reasons. Beautiful, yes, practical, not at all.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

geochick
08-29-2005, 03:47 PM
We just got a new wood table and I ordered a piece of glass to go on the top to protect the wood from cat claws, hot, steamy stuff, etc. I used the plain wood for about 2 weeks before the glass arrived. The only thing I hate about the glass in the fingerprints. I have to use a tablecloth all the time (and cover my new beautiful table) just to stay on top of the messy stuff. If you decide to buy the glass table, you might want to buy your Windex at Costco! The wood was so much easier to take care of, but I am still not going to remove my glass cover (the protection is nice and tablecloths aren't all that bad).

bluestar2
08-29-2005, 06:47 PM
I just had to laugh when I read this. I had flashbacks to when I was a kid and it was my job to clean our 3 (!) glass tables... yep, windex on top, underneath, and crumbs in frame... all the time!

juliekost
08-29-2005, 08:46 PM
I have one of the glass tables from the same company. I have the one with etched squares and wood frame. I love it and I don't mind windexing it every few days if if gets dirty or after dinner. My 6 and 2 year old eat breakfast at a counter bar in my kitchen and only eat dinner on it.

I do have a table pad and cloths for it so I don't alway have it showing the glass. We use placemats for eating to cut down on clean up but we use them with our wood set too. I love how it doubles in size for dinner guest and it is beautiful. We do arts and crafts on it with the table pad and really haven't had any scratches. my kids haven't ran into or banged heads either.

My friends thought I was crazy for getting a glass table but the care really hasn't been that different from a wood table. I get tons of compliments on it too!

Julie
Jake 11/9/98
Jordyn 12/31/02

Alys the Cat
08-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Thanks so much for your insights (and photos)! I was mostly concerned about safety and durability -- I never thought about all the crud getting trapped between the glass and the wood. Very good point! Since we don't have a formal dining room, this table would get a lot of use, so the crud could be a dealbreaker.

On the other hand, it's nice to hear that the tables look and function well IRL. Guess it's back to the furniture store this weekend...