PDA

View Full Version : Good salad to go with Middle Eastern food

lmintzer
08-29-2005, 04:37 PM
My new book club just read "Kite Runner," and the host is making kabobs and cuscus (sp?) to accompany the Afghani theme. I am brining a salad. I am not a very inventive cook, so when I make salads, they are typically mixed greens, veggies, etc.--nothing exciting. I sometimes do a "fruity" salad with mandarin oranges and walnuts which is good.

Any ideas for a salad that will go better with the theme and the main course?

Thanks. I know all of you great cooks out there can help.

jbowman
08-29-2005, 04:44 PM
I would make a Tabbouleh salad. If you "Google" Tabbouleh, you'll find plenty of recipes.

ETA: There is a recipe in The Joy of Cooking--if you don't have it, I am happy to post it!

brittone2
08-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Ditto. Tabbouleh is Y-U-M. I love love love Middle Eastern food :)

Tondi G
08-29-2005, 05:09 PM
typical persian salad would be Persian cucumbers (skin on) and tomatoes all chopped up in fresh squeezed lemon and olive oil and a touch of salt!

Easy and Yummy!

here is a recipe I found
http://fruitpages.recipezaar.com/96978

~Tondi

slknight
08-29-2005, 05:12 PM
I would make a fattoush - salad with tomatoes, peppers, lemon juice, etc. I don't have time to post my recipe now (can do it later), but you can google to get a similar one. Yummy.

kristenk
08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
I second the fatoosh! It's wonderful and not too different from mainstream salad for folks who aren't very adventurous.

saschalicks
08-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Chop tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, lemon juice, olive oil (lots of it to make a nice coating) salt and pepper (will need more then you think for taste). Make in advance b/c it tastes better that way. My mom made this all of the time when we were little and I love it. She called it Israeli salad, but I'm sure it's some variations of what has alreaday been discussed. Of course Tabouleh is my favorite too!

jec2
08-29-2005, 06:18 PM
a greek salad too would probably be really good. like the above but add olives, red onions and feta.

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-29-2005, 06:27 PM
But I make a Greek Salad that many seem to like...

simple simple simple
and totally recommend the products from costco.

Romain lettuce
different color bell peppers
onions
goat cheese
costco's sun dried tomatoes in oil in the jar

oregano
parsley
if you want a hint of lemon juice (i never do this unless i have em)
olive oil
vinegar if you want (tho i don't)

I cut the lettuce, bell peppers and onions up and throw in a bowl.
I use a little of each color pepper for looks
I always nuke my sundried tomatoes for 20 seconds before throwing them in
Crumble the cheese on top

then oil

You could add cucumbers, carrotts and several other things including also adding little cherry tomatoes...you could also use feta vs the goat cheese but I prefer goat cheese.

the secret is the sun dried tomatoes...and the brand they sell at costco.

lmintzer
08-29-2005, 07:35 PM
Wow, thank you! These all look great--and easy (crucial for me). I don't know how I'll pick. Maybe I'll let dh pick, since he loves Middle Eastern food. : )

marit
08-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Israeli salad:

Tomatoes
english cucumbers
yellow onions
italian parsley
All chopped to small cubes

You can also add fetta chease (sp?) to make it extra yummi

season with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper

lukkykatt
08-29-2005, 09:16 PM
One of my best friends is from Jordan, and always made the salad that many here have described. But, she always topped it with toasted pine nuts (I think she actually sauteed them in olive oil in a frying pan). The pine nuts really made the salad de-lish!

You can also do a side of hummus and pita chips.

I loved the "Kite Runner" btw, and am totally jealous of your book club and themed dinner - it sounds devine. Have fun!

karolyp
08-30-2005, 07:05 AM
I third the fatoosh!!! It's my fav!!! You chop up romain lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, and any other veg you want to add. Fry some pita bread and break it apart over the salad (like croutons), and mix in olive oil and lemon juice, and add dry mint, salt, sumac (a middle eastern seasoning), crushed garlic, and (if you wish) some citric acid to taste. Yummy!!!!

I'm getting ready to travel to Jordan on Saturday to bring my DD to visit/meet the inlaws for the first time. I can't wait till I get to eat all the middle eastern food (hummus, grape leaves, tabbouleh, shawerma, kabob....yummy!!!!!)