PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Los Angeles with 14 month old???

shannonG
08-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Would you go to Disney Land with a 14 month old?? I've never been there and would like to check it out (I've been to Disney World). I wonder though if it's just a waste of money. Any other great things to do in LA?? I'd like to see Hollywood? Is that a good idea with a 14 month old?? I've never been there and probably won't be back for a while...I want to do something that dh and I will enjoy but something that's appropriate for Nathan too! Thanks so much!!!!!

ETA: We'll have a rental car and we are staying in Santa Monica

DebbieJ
08-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Where are you staying? Will you have a car? How many days?

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

shannonG
08-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Ha ha!!! I just edited to add the information that you were asking...I didn't even see your post though!! We will be there for a wedding but we'll have from 2:00pm on Thursday (when we arrive) till the evening and then possibly a few hours on Friday. We will have most of the day on Sunday also. Some of our friends will be going to Disney Land the day we get there. I was thinking of going that day...but later. I'm not sure if they offer discounted tickets for evening only. Thanks!!

spencersmommy
08-31-2005, 12:33 AM
You could go to the zoo or go to the beach in Santa Monica. Your DS could have fun doing that. There's good shopping, too. :-) I probably wouldn't do Hollywood with kids that little. there's not much to do there, anyway...you could drive around Sunset maybe, but Fridays would be crazy! We lived down there until last summer and we didn't do much with our DS, sadly. Too little for a lot of it. We are going to Disneyland this Oct. with a 2 year old and a 4 month old. You could try D-land, but I don;t think they do discounted tickets.
Have fun!!!! Santa Monica is a fun, walk around 3rd Street Promenade.
Also, check out urbanbaby.com, b/c there might be lists of activities for little ones for LA posted there.

s7714
08-31-2005, 02:01 AM
Ditto the PP about 3rd St. Promenade. It has excellent shopping for adults and a lot of cool stores that kids love. At night there are usually street performers/musicians out too. It's about a block from the Santa Monica Pier as well.

I probably wouldn't do Hollywood with a 14 month old. You could drive Sunset strip just to see the sights however. I'd recommend going during the day (a weekday if possible) to avoid traffic. (Although traffic can be heavy there anyway.) My guided tourist tour for visiting guests usually involves driving down Santa Monica Blvd. to the Beverly Center and then up to Sunset Blvd. and back down to UCLA in Westwood (with a jaunt off onto Hollywood Way here and there too.)

IMO DL just seems like a smaller version of DW's Magic Kingdom. The insides of the rides are often a little different, but for the most part it's the same thing. You could get a park hopper pass and go to California Adventure though. There are cute things there for kids too.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

asha
08-31-2005, 02:04 AM
Personally, I would not do Disneyland with a 14 month old.
I was there a month ago with a 20 month old. I felt he was too young to enjoy much. He did have fun with some of the rides, but really not worth your time and money.
I doubt if a 14 month old will enjoy much, let alone remember anything.
Just my honest opinion/ experience, hope you dont mind.

lmintzer
08-31-2005, 07:55 AM
I lived in L.A. for 2 years pre-kids (actually, Jack was born there). Santa Monica beach is wonderful. : )

A little-known neat place to visit is the Venice Canals. They're located right near Venice Beach. If you are interested, I can ask dh if he remembers exactly what street to use to get to them. You enter them through a neighborhood street. They're right there but are hidden from plain view on the main street. Basically, they are these waterways that run through a little neighborhood. The people who live on them have small boats (and I mean small--like rowboats) to paddle around. You can walk on the sidewalks--they are stroller-friendly--and walk over the little wooden bridges. There are oftn duck families to look at in the water. You definitely would want some way to contain your baby--stroller, backpack, etc. since there is water involved, but it is a pretty, low-key way to spend a few hours. You could then walk over to a little restaurant near Venice Beach to eat.

There's a beach to go to right there too--just south of the Venice Beach boardwalk.

I definitely wouldn't do Disney either, but that's just me. Frankly, I wouldn't even do Disney with my 4 year-old. Too crazy, too many people.

ETA: another nice shopping/walking street is Montana Street, just on the north end of Santa Monica. Nice shopping, cute little restaurants. Places to stop for coffee and smoothies. Love it there!

Momof3Labs
08-31-2005, 08:44 AM
Oh, the Venice canals are beautiful!!! I was in LA on a business trip a couple of times (stayed near Venice Beach), and a co-worker showed them to me.

Personally, I would do Disneyland with a 14-month old (we took Colin to WDW at 26 months), but you need to go in with appropriate expectations! Don't go on the weekend - too crowded with local families, etc. You can take him on any ride without a height restriction, and if he naps in the stroller, you can rest on a shady bench while he is sleeping. He'll absolutely enjoy the people and things to see, but at his level. He won't enjoy and appreciate things the way that you do, but that doesn't mean that it is a waste. And DL is so different than WDW, much less walking and smaller in general. It is interesting to see the differences!

shannonG
08-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the advice girls...it really helps a lot!! I'm so nervous right now. I have to get going and out the door quick because I have a million things I have to do at stores. I was at the mall last night frantically trying to find an outfit for the wedding. Ugh, nothing like waiting until the last minute!! We leave for the airport REALLY early tomorrow morning...I hope Nathan handles the craziness. The ped. gave us ear drops to numb his inner ears in case he has trouble with the pressure. Have any of you guys used these?? I wonder if they distort hearing? Thanks again for the GREAT advice!! I wrote all of the cool places that you mentioned down..we probably won't be doing Disney!! I'll let you know how it goes with an update when we get back! Thanks!! Shannon ;)

DebbieJ
08-31-2005, 09:05 AM
RE: Disney

The entrance prices are steep and if you're only staying for a short time or won't be putting in a full day, I'd say it's not worth it.

Plus, the drive from Santa Monica to Anaheim and back can be horrific.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg