PDA

View Full Version : How does one learn to applique????

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-31-2005, 12:41 PM
I honestly can say I have a creative mind and it is always racing on things I can do...but I can't do ANYTHING!!!!!!

For example I have a landing on my staircase that overlooks the downstairs. I "see" a puppet theater there, and have even bought the fabric for it. Honestly what I have in mind is sooooo simple I just can't do it, I am having a seamstress (who did Tristan's nursery which has never been used sadly as such) come over Thursday night to grab my fabric and do it for me.

But I would love to start doing some stuff like this.
My new obsession is girls clothes and stuff I found on line from Europe and so much of it involves appliqueing some kick derriere things on overalls and cute dresses etc... how does one learn to do this???? Is it even worth learning. What I am finding are outfits where the whole thing is appliqued with some design etc... they sell for hundreds. Is it as hard as it looks???

AngelaS
08-31-2005, 12:44 PM
It's really not too hard if you have a good sewing machine. My cheapo Singer wouldn't do it, but my Viking will! It's also far easier to applique snap crotch overalls than ones you have to rip the side seams open to do. I got lots of tips on how to do it by asking questions on a sewing board I'm a part of. :D

Personally I love to do these kind of things myself 'cause I get the pleasure of know *I* made something special that my girls love. :D

mergenzi
08-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I just wanted to chime in and let you know that there is an excellent resource for sewing lessons and supplies really close to you. The shop is called Elegant Stitches and it is in Cary in the Waverly Place shopping center. They have tons of classes and one of them is a class that teaches applique techniques. I took it several years ago and have made lots of little appliqued jumpers and dresses for my girls. It really is easy once you learn the techniques. When I took the class I really did not know that much about sewing. If you go to their website, www.elegantstitches.com, you can see all of the classes that they offer. I also smock for my girls and they have taught me everything that I know about sewing!

Hope this helps!