PDA

View Full Version : Yoohoo Photographers: Film suggestion

jec2
08-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Hi, we are heading off to S. Utah (Zion) and I want to get some cool photos of the lanscape...red rocks et al. Any suggstions on film/film speed?

mommy_someday
08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
I took a couple of classes in college, so I know enough to be dangerous, but not a lot. ;) My prof told me that Fujifilm has cooler tones and Kodak has warmer ones, so I would lean towards Kodak with the red rocks. I personally would probably use 800, but that might be overkill. I think it depends a lot on the natural light, too. You can do a lot with f-stops and shutter speeds if you have a manual option on your camera. Some of my best shots came from 'bracketing' (where you use the settings that the camera says are best and then change your f-stop/shutter speed one unit in either direction, just in case...so you have 3 pics of the same thing with different depth of field and light/saturation). Not sure if that made any sense or not. Maybe someone else will chime in with what they would do. It's beautiful scenery, so I'm sure you'll have gorgeous pics unless you're shooting in a downpour or something. :)

ETA: If you think you might enlarge the photo to 8x10 or bigger, definitely go with 800 or more. The smaller that number is, the grainier your enlargements will be.

jec2
08-31-2005, 03:08 PM
"You can do a lot with f-stops and shutter speeds if you have a manual option on your camera. Some of my best shots came from 'bracketing' (where you use the settings that the camera says are best and then change your f-stop/shutter speed one unit in either direction, just in case...so you have 3 pics of the same thing with different depth of field and light/saturation). Not sure if that made any sense or not."

Made total sense and I can do that with my camera and even know how :) The film thing always confuses me though so the suggestion for 800 will be headed and if anyone suggests anything else, I'll likely heed that as well just for some variety.

I've been using my digi alot lately but thought that w/the colors et al, having the manual capacity would be fun.

pb&j
08-31-2005, 03:23 PM
This is going to sound crazy, but you might want to pick up a roll or two of Scala, which is a good quality black and white slide film. The colors ARE gorgeous in Zion, but the harsh light and neat formations can make some amazing black and white pix. DH is a professional photographer and has a ton of b&w slides from Zion that look amazing. (You can get them made into prints later.)

-Ry,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

amp
08-31-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't know the answer, but I will tell you that you are right to ask about it! I took many, many pics, years ago, in Arizona (Sedona, etc) and the pics were brown mountains! I may well have used cruddy speed film for such a thing, but I've always been convinced that the photo developing place color corrected and I should have made them reprint them.

Later on, I took pics in New Mexico and in Lake Tahoe that showed colors much more accurately on film, so I was pleased about that. Can't recall what speed it was or anything, but I would guess (since we used it a lot) that it was the Max 400 or whatever that lets you change from landscapes to indoor/outdoor, people etc, without worrying about speed. And it was likely Kodak just becuase that's what we usually bought.

ismommy
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi Juliet,
Just wanted to pipe in and say that higher film speeds are for low light situations and are actually grainier than lower numbers. If I was shooting landscapes I would go with kodak 25 or 100. 800 speed is for indoor low light if you dont want to use a flash. 3200 speed which is black and white is the grainies.
i also second the b&w idea. i have been shooting all gunners pix on ilford which is processed color but prints b&w- it is very contrasty and would look great with landscapes.
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

daniele_ut
08-31-2005, 04:53 PM
No suggestions about film, but I wanted to say have a great time out here!! We live in Salt Lake and Zion NP is amazing! Angel's Landing is worth the hike.

Dyonia
08-31-2005, 05:16 PM
For nature photographs, I personally prefer to use Fujichrome Velvia ISO 50. That being said, however, it is a chrome (slide) film. I do all my nature and landscape work in chrome. When I need prints made, I get them done at Costco because prices are fantastic, and I have been REALLY pleased with the quality of the prints.

I don't think I'd recommend that you go this route, however. Slide film is costly (both to purchase and develop), and this is a professional film, so it would be harder for you to find to begin with.

There is a difference between Kodak and Fuji films color-casts, but it is not so pronounced in the consumer-level films as it is in the professional ones. I personally use both, but for different purposes. When I was in school, I could given you a long spiel with all sorts of technical data, but these days, its really really overkill ;)

Now, I have to digress and tell you that a bit of advice that a PP gave you was incorrect. The higher the ISO number, the WORSE the grain is in enlargements. Please do NOT try and shoot nature photographs with 800 ISO film. 800 ISO and higher films are great for action photography and low-light situations (i.e. sports and indoor low-level lighting situations) If you want to have the capacity to get enlargements bigger than 8x10, go for the low-ISO films.

I'll cut the yammer...Here's what I suggest for your situation:
Fuji Superia 100
Fuji Superia Reala (also 100 ISO)
Kodak Bright Sun Film (its 100 ISO)
Kodak High Definition 200

If you can't get any of those films, pick the lowest ISO number.

Of course, I'm basing these suggestions on the assumption that you might not have access to someplace where you can get professional films. If you do (and don't mind paying more for those) I have a different set of reccomendations for you ;)

If you have an SLR camera, I would also like to suggest getting a polarizing filter. It will improve your color saturation further, and give you incredible skies! To use, screw the filter onto your lens and look through your viewfinder. Turn the filter until you like your sky. Polarizing filters work best when the sun is NOT directly overhead.

Yeesh, I've written a novel! I'll cut this off here......feel free to ask questions!

Cheers,
Donna

BTW, do you have a tripod?

mommy_someday
08-31-2005, 08:38 PM
You are absolutely right about the ISO! I totally had that backwards. Sorry, Juliet, it's been several YEARS since I took those photo classes. Mommy brain has really done a number on me apparently. Donna, thanks for correcting my mistake! :)

jec2
08-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Helene and Donna, thanks so much for catching Erica's error-- I always get that confused too erica :) Donna your post is extremley helpful.

I have got a long list of things to get at the camera store tomorrow--and I will pick up a polarizing lense and now I know when to use one, which I didn't know before :) Also, Thanks so much for the suggestion of B&W (helene, Ry and donna), which I wasn't planning to buy. Hopefully I can channel Ansel Adams for some inspiration! I truly hope I can get some cool shots and show them off to all you great helpers.

Thanks Again!

jec2
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
My friend said the same thing to me today about Angel's Landing.

jec2
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
yes, I do have a tripod...should I take it with me?

Dyonia
09-01-2005, 01:02 AM
I find my tripod to be invaluable for keeping shots steady, as well as for constructing panorama shots the old-fashioned way.

However, depending on how heavy it is, it may be more of a PITB than anything else... (Mine weighs about 10 pounds!)

It comes down to whether you think you'll use it. You'll probably be fine without it. If it comes to this, lean on something, take a breath and let it halfway out :-) It works in a pinch!

Oooooooooooooooooh to be going to Zion, you lucky girl :-) I'll just have to content myself with the stuff I shot at Arches a few years ago!

Cheers,
Donna

P.S. Don't pay more than 25 bucks or so for a polarizing filter, otherwise you're getting ripped off. When are you leaving?

bluestar2
09-01-2005, 01:41 AM
I don't have the technical expertise since I am an amateur but have taken many, many photos of natural landscapes including those of Utah's red rock country (Zion, Bryce, Arches etc) and the photos turned out fantastic! The colors of that country are amazing. I have used mostly Fuji Superia 100 or 200 with a polarizer (which I highly recommend getting because it really brings out the deep blue in the sky and the deep red/umber of the rock). Also, I'd recommend shooting in the early mornings and evenings since the harsh sunlight of midday really washes everything out (but you probably already knew that). Have a great trip and stay cool!