PDA

View Full Version : How do you take a shower?

kjezierski
08-31-2005, 02:57 PM
DS used to be so easy - he'd play with a cup and ball in the bathroom while I showered and got dressed. Lately, he starts banging on the door to get out as soon as a I put him down. It isn't like we're in there a long time - usually about 30 minutes (yes, I know that's a long time for him). DH will watch him sometimes, but I'm always waiting for that "Just how long does it take you?" question from him. I can't do it while he's napping because his room is next to our bathroom. What do you do?

Kathleen
Mommy to Alex
04/29/04

amp
08-31-2005, 03:26 PM
Well, it's varied, based on his age, but when he was around your son's age or so, I'd plop him in my bedroom, on the bed, w/ Sesame Street running and shut the door so he couldn't leave. That's still what I do. He has no interest, at this point, in leaving the room instead of watching SS. thank God for SS!

jbowman
08-31-2005, 03:36 PM
We have a pretty big bathroom (can close the door to the toliet, so no issues there) & our bedroom is child-proofed, so sometimes I let her have the run of the bathroom and bedroom while I shower. She has her own drawer filled with toys, cosmetic bags, etc., so she usually just empties the drawer, and then throws all of my books and magazines off of my nightstand, LOL!

Usually, though, DH takes a shower first and then while he is getting ready, I jump in the shower. That way, someone always has an eye on Ellie, even if we're both a little distracted! "Tag-team parenting" always works for us, LOL!

jadamom
08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
I used to get up really early to shower before DH went to work, but got tired of it, so now I shower at night, after the girls are asleep. I know, now I have a bad hair day everyday!

Jenn98
08-31-2005, 03:39 PM
My DD is still a newborn, so I haven't yet tried this, but I just read about a mom who would announce to her DC that it's shower time and plop him or her into the crib with a few special toys. These were toys that were only played with during shower time. I think she also took her shower at close to the same time every day, so it just started to become routine to the baby/child. No idea if it works, but it sounded good! :)

Jenn

essnce629
08-31-2005, 03:42 PM
I only take showers at night when my son is asleep or sometimes we take a shower together. If I MUST take a shower during the day (rarely) I'll do it during his nap. Our bathroom also shares a wall with the bedroom, but it's never seemed to bother him or wake him up.

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif 2 years & counting! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

Momof3Labs
08-31-2005, 03:44 PM
This worked for us for a long, long time (well, until DS mastered the process of opening doors, so maybe until last spring). Now, I still plunk him in front of TV (Noggin) and he watches while I get ready, but he prefers to watch downstairs.

DebbieJ
08-31-2005, 03:47 PM
I tried bringing him in the shower with me, but that didn't work. So now I just let him run around upstairs while I take a very fast shower. We have a loft area that is full of toys and he usually stays entertained with his cars and train table for that short time. The stairs are gated and the railings are childproofed. I also close the doors to all the rooms except the one to the master and the bathroom, which is part of our master bedroom.

I am in and out of the shower in 10 minutes or less so this works for us. Then he plays at my feet while I dry off, get dressed, etc.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

lizamann
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Shower - what's that??? We've been in our new home (with a really nice shower!) for about a month, and I think I've had 3 or 4 showers, tops, and only when dh was home. We've been taking baths together instead, which actually I really like. Glad we have a nice tub, too!

I try showering with her, but she wants out immediately. Sometimes we have a communal "spa" session, with me or dh in the shower, the other in the tub, and dd wanders back and forth. It's really fun, actually.

hez
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Friday mornings are (usually) the only mornings I have to worry about this-- Mon-Thurs he's sleeping (next room over), and Sat & Sun DH is home to play with him.

I've just gotten in the habit of letting him play in the bathtub while I shower. Two big cups and one little one (plus asking me to fill them up occasionally) keep him busy-- even when I'm shaving my legs :) Sunday mornings he showers with me, too, but that's just because it's quicker to do his bath that way.

Occasionally I try to keep him out of the shower, and if I get enough of his favorite toys in the bathroom that works for a quick shower.

I'm not quite sure what we'll do when he's older-- we don't have a TV in a convenient location upstairs.

kristine_elen
08-31-2005, 04:33 PM
I put Jack in his room and lock the gate so he can't get out and put on a video so he doesn't want to get out.

muskiesusan
08-31-2005, 04:52 PM
I pull out stuff he isn't normally allowed to have, like tampons, pads, curlers, etc and let him explore those while I watch from the shower. I usually only shower every other day.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

southern_kali_gurl
08-31-2005, 04:54 PM
We usually shower together since as soon as he hears the water turn on he's undressed in 2 seconds. :) We're in there for about 15 minutes.

-A
Mommy to AJ 08.25.03

http://b3.lilypie.com/DNNem7/.png

erosenst
08-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Abby stays in her crib in the morning until I'm up, showered and dressed. Fortunately, she LOVES her crib, and is content to do that. Usually when I go to get her up, I have to convince her that she has to get up. On the weekends, I'll let her play when I go in there until she tells me she's ready - usually 5 minutes or so after I go in. I know this will end someday - but I'm enjoying it now! (When she was probably 2 - 10 months old, she'd happily sit in her bouncy seat while I showered and dressed - but she sleeps later now.)