PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding during the first term of pregnancy

wimama
08-31-2005, 09:28 PM
How many of you have had bleeding/spotting during pregnancy and have had a successful pregnancy?

I just started my 6th week of pregnancy and had a scare last night. I noticed some spotting on my underwear. So I spent a good portion of the night crying and awake. I wasn't scheduled for my first OB appointment until next week.

Well, there wasn't really anymore significant spotting today. I went to the OB and had and US. The baby is right on track as far as size and had a heartbeat already. I was really relieved, but I am still kind of scared.

My OB said that I didn’t need to change my activities at all, since there was just a little spotting and the baby looked ok.

What have you all experienced?

buddyleebaby
08-31-2005, 09:40 PM
I personally did not have any bleeding in my first trimester ( I did have spotting late 2nd/early third and they never could figure out why). However, my friend had frequent bleeding in her first trimester and gave birth to a healthy girl with no pregnancy complications.

Try to relax (easier said than done, I know). If something is going to happen, there is nothing you can do to stop it. Worry, however, can have a negative effect on you, so do your best to think positive.

Wishing you a happy, healthy pregnancy!

jlcana
08-31-2005, 09:42 PM
I had light spotting off and on with both pregnancies in my 1st trimester and had a 8 lb 15 oz son and a 9 lb 3 oz son! Both perfectly healthy and I'll take the credit for that of course!

That being said, I also had one miscarriage with spotting in the 1st trimester. I went into my OB, had the US and had no heartbeat and was small for size.

Chances are its probably nothing to worry about! Congrats on your pregnancy!

Lisa
Christopher 3/18/02
Andrew 9/28/04

beckyr88
08-31-2005, 09:42 PM
I bled with both of my pregnancies. With DD #1, it was quite heavy, but brief (like 1 hour, but it was a lot of blood). I was 10 weeks, and all was fine. With DD #2, I had light bleeding, but it lasted like 2 weeks (week ~8-10). I was absolutely sick with worry, but all was fine.

SO many women I've talked to since have had similar stories! In fact, a friend of mine is a family practitioner and tells her patients to not be surprised with first trimester bleeding-she sees it that often. I'm so glad you went to your OB and everything is all right. Good luck and try to get some rest. Congratulations!

babystuffbuff
08-31-2005, 09:47 PM
No pregnancy for me yet, but my mom had spotting in her first trimester with my brother, and he just started kindergarten last week. :)

If you are on track for size, and you saw the heartbeat on the U/S, I would say good job for getting it all checked out so soon, and try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy!

Sarah

C99
08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
I did w/ my first pregnancy, but I immediately called the OB, put my feet up and drank water. She had me come in the next morning for an U/S and the pregnancy was fine. She said that it was implantation bleeding, or from the placenta colliding w/ the uterine wall. My son was born 29 weeks later.

jbowman
08-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Hugs! I know how scary that is.

With my first pregnancy, I had an episode in my first trimester (12 weeks) where I bled so much (sorry if TMI, but copious amounts) that I had to go the emergency room. It was, without question, the most frightening experience of my life. Fortunately, the nurse found the baby's heartbeat right away; as it turned out, my DD was fine :)!

missliss55
08-31-2005, 10:06 PM
With my 2nd DD I had bleeding around week 16. I had it happen 2 different times. I was checked by my OB, had an ultrasound and was told to take it easy for about 2 weeks. DD will now be 5 weeks old on Friday. They never knew why I bled.

Rachels
08-31-2005, 10:07 PM
I had spotting at nine, eleven, and twenty-three weeks, and the baby is doing just fine. It can happen pretty easily and pretty often, but it scared the crap out of me every single time. I think because you don't know, it's just legitimately alarming. I hope that was it for you, though!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

lisa56308
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM
I had spotting at 12 weeks with my first and 11 weeks with my second and have 2 healthy boys. Doc thought it was probably implantation bleeding. Congrats on your pregnancy!

Lisa
Jacob 6/95
Tyler 10/03

wimama
08-31-2005, 10:40 PM
Thank you everyone for your stories and encouragement. You gals are the best. I think I really needed some reassurance. I think I will be able to sleep alot better tonight.

Thanks!

pixelprincess
09-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Amy, Sorry about the scare! I was a bleeder from week 10-18 or so. It was rather awful and like a two month long period with clotting (sorry, TMI). I had a subchorionic hematoma that caused the bleed but my baby was fine. The only good thing was I got to get tons of ultrasounds to see the baby.

Glad you got some feedback from your ob.

ellies mom
09-01-2005, 02:11 AM
I had spotting at seven weeks, very much like what you had. I had to go in for blood work and then an ultrasound the next day. The nurse said the blood work showed I could be having twins, so I was up all night thinking about that before the ultrasound. Everything was fine and like you I got to see the heartbeat. So amazing. The rest of the pregnancy was fine and other than DD being a footling breech, no complications.

hez
09-01-2005, 05:14 AM
HUGE HUGS!

I spotted for over three weeks with Payton. Had two u/s at 6 and 7 weeks, and still didn't believe he was really going to be OK until they placed him in my arms after delivery.

This time around it's been more like 4 freaking weeks. I've had anything from slight spotting ('tan' colored) to outright little blood clots.

3 u/s later and they tell me everything is fine. It's likely subchorionic bleeding (aka subchorionic hematoma). I've done lots of google searches & research on it, and most times it's totally fine. I was also told not to change activities at all this time, and so far, so good.

It's pretty freaking scary to spot, especially when the docs want to see you 'immediately' upon hearing about it. But IME, it can be OK-- you just want to have that u/s and be sure it's OK.

(((hugs)))

kimbe
09-01-2005, 07:10 AM
I spotted a few times. The doctor told me that since I had a heartbeat and that everything looked fine that I shouldn't worry. (My OB pretty told me what yours did.)

I pretty much FREAKED the first time it happened and so did DH! After the first time, I couldn't wear colored underwear (so I could see if I spotted!)

I had a perfect 7lb 11oz baby girl! I know how scared you are though!

Happy pregnancy!

sarahsthreads
09-01-2005, 07:17 AM
I had bleeding at 9 weeks - enough to soak a pad - and although I was terrified, an U/S showed that everything was fine with the baby. I was just told to take it easy for 2-3 days.

They never told me what might have happened, but I delivered a healthy 6 lb. 13 oz. baby girl seven months later!

Good luck!
Sarah :)

heytootsy
09-01-2005, 07:47 AM
I spotted, and right at 6 weeks. The Dr. told me some spotting was normal. It went away, and everything was fine.

Momof3Labs
09-01-2005, 08:34 AM
I have known many, many women who have had light spotting to heavy bleeding during early pregnancy and have gone on to have healthy babies. As long as the u/s showed a flickering little heart, there's really not much you can do but take it easy and NOT WORRY!!

trumansmom
09-01-2005, 08:54 AM
I had subchorionic bleeding as well. Every week or two I would spot for a few days. After 2 miscarriages, it was terrifying. However, DD is a gorgeous, charming and smart 17 month old, so apparently it was as harmless as my OB told me!

Sending big hugs your way. Bleeding while pregnant is always scary.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

octmom
09-01-2005, 10:16 AM
I spotted once at around 8 weeks when I was pregnant with DS and it scared the cr@p out of me even thought it wasn't a lot. He is now a very happpy, healthy 22 month old!

Yay April babies! :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://bd.lilypie.com/UB6Bm4/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

lmariana
09-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Glad to hear that you're a little more calm about this now!

I had spotting for about a week with my first pregnancy and went on to have a normal pregnancy with no complications.

This time around, I haven't had any spotting. So each pregnancy is different.

I think the rule of thumb is, only freak out in the first trimester if you have bleeding + cramping. But if you're ever worried, just call the doctor. That's what they're there for!

Hope you can relax and enjoy the pregnancy!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com/news.html
www.heinzandmariana.com/deals.html

http://b3.lilypie.com/PVjPm4/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preggopals

SummerBaby
09-01-2005, 10:37 AM
I had several episodes of bleeding in my first trimester. The first was so heavy I assumed I was getting my period and wasn't pregnant. It continued on and off until I was about 8 weeks. My hcg levels and u/s were normal so my OB wasn't worried. Then I had 3 other episodes of pink-ish spotting around 11-12 weeks. All was fine and I delivered a healthy, full term baby! I know how frightening it is- I was in the bathroom every 10 minutes looking for blood. Good luck to you!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

starrynight
09-01-2005, 10:39 AM
My ex- sil had spotting off and on through the first 14 weeks. As long as it's just spotting and you keep an eye on things I'm sure it's fine. Sending you good vibes just incase. Glad to hear the baby is looking good on u/s.

ribbit1019
09-01-2005, 11:17 AM
So far I have had no spotting with this pregnancy.

With DD however I had spotting for about two weeks around 10-12 weeks and major bleeding around 14 weeks. There were two gestational sacks with that pregnancy. In other words we conceived fraternal twins but only one embryo developed. This was the case with my other three pregnancies, no embryo(s) deleveloped.

From what the Dr. said my body was expelling the non developed gestational sac. It was a huge scare. I have to take blood thinners because of a clotting disorder I have so, there was a lot blood, "material" and cramping. The ER doc did an U/S for us and DD was still in there pleased as punch. Thank goodness she is so stubborn. :)

I was put on modified bed rest until I could see my midwife on Monday. She had another ultrasound done and everything was fine and indeed the gestational sac that hadn't developed was gone, just a small bleed remained. I continued activities as normal from that appointment. I spotted for another week or so and then nothing again until she was born.

I've been there I know how scary it is to see spotting.
I'm really glad everything is o.k.

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

Puddy73
09-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Big hugs! I know that bleeding, even a little, is scary. I spotted during the first trimester with both pregnancies. Both times it was attributed to a subchorionic (sp?) bleed. Take it easy and hang in there.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." - Woodrow Wilson

JulieL
09-01-2005, 02:37 PM
I had bleeding at 6 weeks and 1 day, got an u/s at 6 weeks 2 days. So far I'm now at my 30th week, so I'd call that sucessful! It's so stressful, I know - but it doesn't mean the end of your pregnancy. I certainly hope things get better soon. My bledding/spotting only lasted a total of 3 days. But it was lighter as the days went on. Chin up, hopefully this will be just a small bump in your pregnancy!

ETA: my dr also said it was probably pooled up implantation blood that had just burst. I was surprised as I thought that would have happened when implantation happened - apparently not always.

saschalicks
09-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Amy,
The same thing happened to me and I have a beautiful healthy 14 mo old DS. I think you are OK!

mamahill
09-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I had spotting at 6 and 8 weeks. It was dark/brown. Everything was fine. I've got a huge little boy to show for it. My sister had bleeding several times and she has a huge little girl to show for it now. :)

Sarah1
09-01-2005, 03:54 PM
I didn't have any spotting w/Audrey, but with Oscar I had some bright red bleeding around 12 weeks. It lasted a few days, and then stopped. It really scared me, but everything was absolutely fine and my pregnancy was completely normal.

My sister is due with her first baby on Nov. 2, and she had spotting constantly throughout her 1st trimester and even some of her 2nd. Everything is fine w/her pregnancy, too. Her doctor said "she was just a spotter". Sometimes there just doesn't seem to be a reason for it.

Hope you are feeling reassured! I know it's scary.

Hallie_D
09-01-2005, 04:22 PM
I had fairly heavy bleeding from week 12 to week 14 with #1--no reasons found, no complications or other problems. My sister is about 8 weeks pregnant and she had spotting at 6 weeks, but everything is fine for her too.

Calmegja2
09-01-2005, 04:57 PM
I bled like a stuck pig with all of my successful pregnancies (like needing an overnight maxi pad all the time until around 24 weeks), and oddly, the pregnancies I did not bleed with were the losses.

I know it's scary, but it can be okay, and it usually is...

Hang in there. That good ultrasound means a whole lot, in terms of positive outcomes....

trumansmom
09-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Just wanted to check in and make sure you and the baby are okay!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

mtracchia
09-02-2005, 09:14 AM
I also bleed a few times during my first trimester. It was more than just a little spotting though. The midwive actually emotionally prepped me for a miscarriage after the exam the first time because of how much bleeding there was. They didn't do an ultrasound because it was only five weeks or so. The next time they did an ultrasound and everything was fine. Anyway, that was what feels like forever ago and now my daughter will be four months in two weeks. :)

Good luck!
Melissa

wimama
09-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. They are very encouraging.

I was pretty scared when I noticed the bleeding. I was also feeling very bloated and my tummy was kind of sore that Tuesday evening. So when I noticed the blood, I was thinking the worst. I was feeling like I usually do when I get my period.

Since Wednesday, there has been no more bleeding. I am so relieved.
Of course, I have been having other symptoms such as morning sickness and fatigue. When, I feel gross, I try to think of it as a reminder that the baby is doing well.

Again, thank you all so much for your replies. They have so reassuring and such a big help.

Marisa6826
09-02-2005, 11:46 PM
I had a pretty significant subchorionic bleed with my second pregnancy around 8-9w. Everything turned out fine. I had to lay low - not hardcore bedrest - for a while, but I think the majority of the bleeding was gone after a few days.

My OB told me that they see that sort of thing very, very frequently. And in the over 1000+ pregnancies she had seen, only 2 ever went bad as a result of a bleed.

Good luck

-m