PDA

View Full Version : The Kindess of Strangers

Hallie_D
09-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Although we live in Chicago, DH's whole family lives in New Orleans and Metairie. They all evacuated on Sunday, most to Baton Rouge, except for DH's 83 year old grandmother, who refused to leave her apartment in a retirement/assisted living building. Needless to say we have all be going crazy trying to figure out how to get her out of there as conditions in the city rapidly deteriorate. In our last conversation she told us she had decided to stop drinking water so she wouldn't have to go to the bathroom since she can't flush the toilet. MIL and her husband were calling everyone they knew trying to find a way to get her out of there before she dies of dehydration, lack of food, and lack of medication.

About an hour ago my MIL called us to say that she had gotten a call from a man in Birmingham, Alabama. He had not been able to get in touch with his elderly aunt who lives in an apartment in Metairie. His two grown sons, who live closer to New Orleans (I'm not clear on where) decided to go rescue her. They loaded up a vehicle with food and water, armed themselves, and somehow got into Metairie.

When they got to the building they found it deserted by the staff who had initially remained. The main doors were unlocked and the smell of death was in the air. They went floor by floor, door to door knocking and calling out asking if anyone needed to be evacuated. DH's grandmother was able to open her door and allowed them to carry her out along with 5 other residents. They are now bringing them to Lafayette, where MIL can pick her up. It will be a difficult journey as they try to avoid flooded streets and armed gangs of looters who have been carjacking vehicles, including a nursing home bus.

As you pray for the people who have lost everything in this disaster, my in-laws among them, please say an extra prayer for the kindess of strangers who today saved DH's grandmother's life and the lives of the other residents of that building (including their aunt), at great personal risk.

kellyotn
09-01-2005, 04:03 PM
I have chills. God bless them.

I hope you get news of their safe journey very soon.

lizamann
09-01-2005, 04:04 PM
That's great! Were they able to get their aunt, too?

erosenst
09-01-2005, 04:35 PM
So good to hear stories like this. The whole thing has saddened/sickened me; however, the violence and looting has bothered me the most of all. I know that I can't begin to imagine the stress that these people are under, and that many of them are doing what they believe is best for their families; however, the end result is clearly hampering the relief/rescue efforts. It's so nice to hear a story where this disaster has brought out the best, rather than the worst, in people.

I'll be thinking of you and your family - and of the wonderful people who saved your aunt.

JFC
09-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Thank you for sharing this story. I too have chills reading it. It is nice to read a story that reminds us of the good in people as we read and see so much else happening down there. All these people are in my thoughts.

I'm very glad your DH's grandmother is getting out, and I am appalled that the staff left their elderly charges to fend for themselves.

Dcclerk
09-01-2005, 06:05 PM
What a wonderful testimony. Prayers are definitely being said here :)

alkagift
09-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Oh, Hallie, how wonderful. How frightening, but wonderful that she got out. It just gave me chills to think how close she came.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/

saschalicks
09-01-2005, 06:50 PM
THank you for sharing this story! I am crying. I was so so so sad and this story reminds me of the goodness of people. Oh I will pray for more kindness!

amp
09-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Hallie - That is an amazing story, and a welcome one in light of all the chaos and bad behavior we've seen. It's a wonderful reminder of how good people can be. Thank you for sharing that.

Karenn
09-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Hallie,
I've been thinking about you and your family. That's just an amazing story. I'm so glad your DH's grandma made it out of her home safely.

Roleysmom
09-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Hallie, my heart is in my throat. I'm so sorry that your DH's Grandmother had to suffer through that but I'm glad that she was able to accept the help of those brave and generous men and get out of there. I am wishing all of them a safe and speedy journey to Lafayette. I am thinking of your DH's family and of everyone suffering right now.

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

chlobo
09-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.

The looters and violence bother me the most as well. It's just awful. I can't fathom the depravity of those committing the violence.

starrynight
09-01-2005, 09:17 PM
How kind, sometimes there is someone shining amoung all the chaos. Saying prayers for everyone, I'm glad she is ok.

cmdunn1972
09-01-2005, 09:49 PM
It's inspirational stories like that which we need to hear in the news more often. Otherwise, the public will only get discouraged from all the other negative reports. We need to be reminded that not everyone in that area is a character in a modern-day version of "Lord of the Flies". Thanks for posting this! :)

hez
09-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Thank you for sharing.

mharling
09-02-2005, 08:26 AM
What an amazing story. I will keep your aunt and rest of your family in my prayers, as well as the extremely giving strangers. Very cool.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

ribbit1019
09-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Just amazing. I am glad they were able to get to their Aunt and to your DH's grandmother. That is wonderful.
I will keep them in my prayers that they arrive in Lafayette safely.

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

Sarah1
09-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Hallie--

Wow. What a story. I'll be thinking of your DH's family...and of the strangers you described.

It's reassuring that there are still people out there who are willing to help others besides themselves.

bunnisa
09-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Good News bump!

Thanks for sharing. :)

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

crayonblue
09-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Thank you for sharing this! I don't want to watch the news anymore, all the horror stories are making me crazy. Thank you for sharing something amazing and wonderful!