PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good, reliable carper cleaner...

downwarddog
09-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Not sure where else to post this!

We have too much W2Wall carpeting in our house with a baby & 2 dogs. Esp. in our living room, I could vacuum daily & it's never clean!

I desperately need a carper cleaner & checked out Consumer Reports. I didn't find them helpful. I checked out the Hoover recommendation on Amazon & most people hated the thing because it fell apart after a few months. Anyone have one they liked? I heard that Royal makes an all-metal one -- anyone have one of these? I need to clean my carpets YESTERDAY!!!!
Or it's off to WalMart again to rent the Rug Doctor. Ugh.

~Lenore
Mom to Acadia (Cadi), born 9/28/04;
dogs Loka & Colby;
plus 1 cat, Chelsea!

bostonsmama
09-01-2005, 10:13 PM
We had a Hoover 5-spin scrub brush model with separate cleaning tanks (you mean a shampooer/steam cleaner, right?). It worked great. We alternated with Bissel and Hoover Deep Cleaning solution (available at Target, Walmart, Kmart, etc). The V version of Hoover seemed nicer, but it was less affordable. Needless to say, I sold it to my mom and now just borrow it from her once a season. She needs it much more than me with 3 dogs & a cat who are selectively potty trained.

Bottom line I hear is that they don't do an overall great job, and that hiring out someone like Stanley Steamer will yield you better results over the long-run. I recommend (if you do buy something) to get out stains with Spot Shot, tackle dog-pee or smell with Nature's Miracle to de-scent the area, then do some hot shampoo cycles with your shampooer, then follow with clean hot-water swipes. Suck it really dry and open the windows to help it dry (or else mildew can set in).

Best of luck.

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

aliceinwonderland
09-01-2005, 11:38 PM
I want to get a nice steam cleaner as soon as I can...Several people reccomended the Bissell (sp?) little blue machine. I think this is what I'll get as I'd like to steam clean my couch, etc. too. I don't know whom I'm kidding, but at least I have great intentions :)

I hate carpet, yet my stairs and upstairs is all carpeted...