PDA

View Full Version : In Baton Rouge & Scared to Death of the Looters!!!

Kungjo
09-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm back. I posted earlier asking for prayers for all the hurricane victims then followed up to let everyone know that we made it safely through the hurricane. Now I'm back because I'm scared to death of the looters and armed bandits that are even now (from what I've heard) spilling into Baton Rouge, LA.

It's crazy over here. Because of our proximity to New Orleans (about 80 miles or so), most of the refugees are headed here first. We are running out of gas, residents here are in panic mode, and food is flying off the shelves. Not sure if they are being bought up by residents or refugees. We went and spent a ton of $$ to stock up on groceries and water because we're worried about a possible food shortage since we have so many people coming in. While I was shopping, my husband called and said that there were shootings and robberies going on in Baton Rouge and told me to high tail it home.

I came home in tears. It's the hopelessness of the situation. It's bad enough that so many people lost their lives or possessions in Hurricane Katrina. Now we are in terror of the oportunistic looters who go around taking things and robbing people. I can understand looting for food to feed your family, but stories of people in New Orleans looting a shoe store or people in the suburbs cleaning out a Toys R Us just downright sucks. How could they do something like this? I'm afraid to take my kids out to the stores now and my husband is seriously thinking of evacuating us to his relatives in Tenn. to keep us safe.

I really hope that President Bush and the federal government send aid and troops soon. We need then desperately to protect the residents and refugees from the looters roaming the cities. Something much be done or it will become total chaos here in a few days.

Pray for us all. Pray that the residents and refugees will be safe from the looters. Pray that the troops coming in to protect us will quickly get these looters off our streets and that all these troops will return safely back to their families.

Joyce

kaylinsmommy2
09-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Oh my gosh, Joyce, that is so scary! It is all so devestating. Big (((((HUGS))))) to you and your whole family. I'm glad to hear that you're doing okay for now. Try to keep your spirits up. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best! Huge hugs and love to you!
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

chlobo
09-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Joyce,

You must be terrified. Please hang in there. If you are all feeling that afraid then maybe you should evacuate just to be on the safe side. I'll say a prayer that the troops arrive and restore order soon.

wendmatt
09-01-2005, 08:17 PM
It's all too awful for words. Keep safe, sending you prayers and hugs.

boys2enough
09-01-2005, 08:24 PM
My thoughts will be with you and your family and everyone that's been affected by this disaster. Please keep us posted whenever you can. You know that this group will always be here for you if you need any help. {{{hugs}}}

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

deenass
09-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Everytime I see footage on tv my heart breaks for those of you living through this. Your fear must be unimaginable.

My disgust for those taking advantage of this tragedy is beyond belief. Seriously, what are these people doing with this stuff? Well, I guess we know what they are doing with the guns from Walmart!

Please know that you and your family is in my thoughts.

mudder17
09-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Oh my gosh, Joyce, that is terrifying! If it is possible to safely get out of the city, maybe evacuating to Tenn would be the best thing. I will keep your family and all the refugees and residents in my prayers.

Please keep us updated!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

aliceinwonderland
09-01-2005, 08:37 PM
I am so sorry--No advice, they generally say to lay low, avoid public places and crowds, etc. Can you manage to stay inside? I doubt these mafioso-behaving people will go door to door.

I also completely understand looting for water and formula and medicine in such an emergency, but Toys R us?

Stay safe and keep us posted as often you can!

bostonsmama
09-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Joyce, my heart goes out to you. I was in tears reading your post to my mother. I'm just so sick over the situation. The depravity of certain people is showing, and I am just as fearful as you are that the people coming to help you will be deterred (just like they were in NO) because of mounting violence and anarchy. I think it would be better if you evacuated to the north, anyways. Things just won't be right there for a while. Until then, put some lights on outside, draw your curtains, and keep whatever valuable and enticing possession you might have inside or out of view. Thieves or looters, they're going to go for what's easiest first.

(((Hugs))), and know that good people are on their way.

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

KrisM
09-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Joyce,

We're all praying for everyone down there. I can't believe the news stories of the looters. Please stay safe.

jasabo
09-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Oh Joyce, I'm so sorry!! I can't even imagine how terrified you must be. It makes me sick to see how some people are just downright hatefully taking advantage of this situation. It's disgusting.

My prayers are with you and your family. I hope that you stay safe and that you regain safety and peace in your area. Hugs to you.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

HannaAddict
09-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Please stay safe and get out to Tennessee while you can. If you have a safe place to get to and the resources to get their, I would do it. It just seems to be getting worse. Please take care. I am so sorry this is happening.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

hez
09-02-2005, 07:27 AM
You're on my mind and in my prayers. Stay safe.

mharling
09-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Joyce -
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts. ((hugs))

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

starrynight
09-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Stay safe. You are in my prayers.

ribbit1019
09-02-2005, 09:27 AM
I hope that you and your family can stay safe. I agree with the PP's and your husband, it may be best to get out of there for a while. You need to ensure the safety of your family.
I am so sorry that you have to go through this.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

pcha72
09-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Joyce,

My thoughts are with you and your family. Stay safe and please keep us updated so we know you're ok.

Paj Shua
Mama to Kaylah & Tristan

amp
09-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm so sorry you're dealing w/ all of this! Please stay close to home and keep your family safe! We'll be praying for you and everyone else who needs it!

lmintzer
09-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Joyce,
How terrifying! I am so sorry you are going through this. I'm hoping that the government gets its act together soon and that help is coming! Please do what you can to keep yourselves safe. Thinking of you!

brittone2
09-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Please stay safe and take care of yourselves. I can't imagine how frightening it must be :(

pixelprincess
09-03-2005, 01:49 AM
I am really sad and upset reading your post. I can imagine how hard it must be for you right now. Thinking positive thoughts for you and your family.

KBecks
09-04-2005, 03:26 PM
Absolutely, prayers and peace to you, your family, and all affected. Hang in there, and please stay in touch if/when you are able.