PDA

View Full Version : Teachable moments--those of you with preschoolers and older DCs

Hallie_D
09-02-2005, 09:42 AM
If you have children who are old enough to understand a little bit of what is going on in NO and the Gulf Coast, how are you taking this opportunity to teach them about helping others?

We are collecting clothing and other items for our family members, and plan to let Elijah help us pick out some things and pack up the boxes. Today at the grocery store, he will also help us pick out some canned goods which we will take to the Red Cross. We have talked about how many people have lost all their toys, clothes, books, food and furniture because of the storm, and how it is important that we help them as much as we can. This morning he told us that he wants to share his toys with his cousins, so we said if he wanted to, he could pick out some of his own toys and books to send to them. But we aren't going to make him do it, so if he changes his mind, we'll just pick out something at a store.

What are you doing to teach your children about generosity, charity, and helping others? And how do you talk to your children about tragedies like this?

MegND95
09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
My older two kids are aware that a terrible storm came, and that many are without homes or possessions of any kind. When I explained in their terms what this meant, we decided to donate the money from their piggy banks to help those in need. My dd's school is collecting money for the Red Cross next week and we will send it there. I have also been using this as a time to acknowledge how lucky we are, and to be grateful for what we have.

My 3 year old ds said that he wanted to take Daddy down to the water and "push it all back to the sea."