PDA

View Full Version : OT: (How) can you tell if a cat has been, um, romanced?

buddyleebaby
09-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I think my cat may have just violated his sister.
I heard a horrible shriek from the other room and I ran in to see what was going on and he had a guilty look on his face and she came running over to me, fell over a little and then jumoed in to my arms.
I took her with me to the bedroom where she clung to me and purred for awhile, and then she started licking herself and hasn't really stopped since. Then he came in and went to smell her and she hissed at him and smacked him, which is unlike her.
It would be humorous if they were someone else's cats. : )
he's sort of following her around, and I guess it's possible that he was just too playing to rough with her (as he's twice her size) and THAT has happened before...
I looked at "the area" and there was no blood or anything, but I don't know if there would be....the fur looked a little mussed but that could be projection on my part.
She's not in heat.
His appointment (which I actually made two weeks ago) to be neutered is not until Monday.

geochick
09-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Are either of them smoking cigarettes? I wish I could be more helpful. It's kind of funny! Good luck protecting your little girl cat. :)

elliput
09-02-2005, 10:34 AM
ROFL!!! Cats smoking cigarettes... that is too funny!

Not sure how to tell if Miss Kitty has been "romanced", but I do know that gestation for cats is about 60 days.

geochick
09-02-2005, 10:44 AM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29170.jpg

elliput
09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
LOL - you're killing me!!!

psophia17
09-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Having grown up on a farm with many, many barn cats, and having witnessed cat romance many, many times...I think it's safe to say your kitty has been violated. I think this because of the scream and because of her odd behavior with her brother afterwards...sounds like a cat just coming into heat to me...

Cross your fingers and hope that it's too eary for her go get pg?

brittone2
09-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Ummm...no good advice, but if you think your kitties are weird...

Let me say that I have two neutered male cats and they have been um....observed to occasionally attempt to engage in hanky panky together. Yep, I've said it. The first time DH and I witnessed it we both shrieked.

I'm all for gay rights and have no problem with homosexuality, I just didn't expect to encounter it with my cats. Sigh.

When we here a certain growl coming from upstairs, we assume the one cat has attempted to take his liberties with his brother. Yep, I've got some strange animals. I also have a dog on Prozac FWIW. Not that taking Prozac is a bad thing; it is just that most people don't have to give it to their dog :P

kransden
09-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Here is a link that might give you some practical info on feline reproduction. http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/howto15.html
I would get get her spayed asap just in case!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

buddyleebaby
09-02-2005, 04:46 PM
I was laughing so hard my dh came running to see what was up.

Momof3Labs
09-02-2005, 10:56 PM
I'd get her spayed ASAP. That way, even if something happened, you won't be dealing with a litter of kittens in a couple of months! (And yes, they can spay a pregnant animal.)

buddyleebaby
09-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately ASAP is not until late Sept. I mad eher appointment the same time I made his, but they didn't have room for her until later since the surgery is slightly more complicated. (Or as they said to me, "We have to move stuff out of the way."
They are thankfully keeping his appointment. They sent a mobile unit down to Louisiana to try and save some of the animals and they are cancelling their regular appointments to make room, but my appointment was early enough not to be affected.
I'm so upset! I wanted to have them "fixed" a long time ago but I was told they had to have ALL their shots at least ten days before their surgery, and getting their shots took three months because of how they had to be spaced out.
I had a cat as a little girl and he was neutered before I adopted him and HE didn't have all his shots.

I *HOPE* nothing comes of all this. Kittens having kittens. It's an epidemic.

kransden
09-03-2005, 06:35 AM
The reason the vet office probably said that is after "fixing", people become lax on taking their pet to the vet. So they make you get all the shots first. You should try to wait between the shots and the surgery to give the animal time to recover, but there isn't any real reason. Look at how the Humane Society does it.

I would call them asap and explain the situation. The sooner your cat is fixed the better. OR I would call around and find another vet. A responsible vet would work you in due to the circumstances.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

sidmand
09-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Thank goodness!

Our two neutered males (littermates) also do this!

I've been thinking we must have homosexual cats as well--not sure if that's a possibility?

Also, it's only ever one on top of the other--not the other way arond...hmmm...

Sorry for any typos--typing with kiddo onboard.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

holliam
09-03-2005, 08:42 AM
LOL! Beth, our boys do it too! What is up with that? I try to explain to them that although we are supportive of their lifestyle that they are BROTHERS and that is just taking it too far. ;)

Holli

Momof3Labs
09-03-2005, 09:18 AM
ITA - call your vet and explain the situation. She needs to be seen much sooner than the end of September. That is ridiculous that you had to wait that long; many shelters neuter cats at 2-3 months old. Actually, it sounds like you need a new vet (though I admire their assistance in LA) if it takes that long to get in a spay appointment (and they are setting the ridiculously arbitrary requirement of all shots before neutering - that's NOT acceptable when you have young unaltered males and females living together).

Wife_and_mommy
09-03-2005, 11:29 AM
Amen to that! You're trying to be a responsible pet owner and they're NOT helping esp. considering the circumstances.

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png
Our second morsel due early February 2006!

TraciG
09-03-2005, 11:35 AM
OMG HILARIOUS !

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
09-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I too can't believe that they would not have arranged for a quicker spay if there were males living with your kitty.

I hope it all works out for you...

searchdog
09-03-2005, 07:30 PM
I may have missed it but how old are these kittens? Also just an FYI depending on the anesthetic used the procedure from start to finish can be 10-15 minutes if everything goes perfectly. My DH is a vet and we used to work together so I have seen a lot of spays and neuters. A neuter is really quick as in minutes usually. I will tell you my husband does not like to do low cost spay neuter, because the programs are abused by people that don't need the services. I am all for the programs being used by people that really need them, but you also have to remember that we have to eat just like your family does. LOL :)

If you really want to get her fixed I am sure you could find a vet that could get it done within the next week. I will tell you if you wait and it turns out they have to spay her while she is pregnant or in heat expect an extra charge on the bill because that makes the surgery more complicated.

trentsmom
09-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Our neutered male cat tries to mount our neutered female cat. (Shouldn't say mount. He really just pulses near her. I don't think he really knows what to do.) I asked the vet about it, and she said he does it to show his dominance. (Never mind that he's not the dominant cat. He thinks he is!) So it could be the whole showing-dominance thing.

brittone2
09-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Okay, feeling much better that my cats aren't the only wacky ones LOL. Yes, for us it is always the same one....ahem...mounting....the other one. They are consistent in their roles I guess.

What is UP with that??

deborah_r
09-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Um, am I the only one with a male dog that tries to hump our male cat???

I never thought it was that weird (but it is super-annoying) because I think he is trying to establish dominance. He only does it to the older cat who is certainly the dominant pet in our household. he has little interest in the younger cat. What irritates me the most is the cat could easily get away, yet he stays there and howls like he needs to be saved :)

trentsmom
09-05-2005, 01:24 PM
>What irritates me the most is the cat could easily get away,
>yet he stays there and howls like he needs to be saved :)

Sounds like our cat. Instead of hitting him over the head to make him stop, she growls. It ticks me off when they do this on the bed in the middle of the night. I start kicking at anything furry to get them both off the bed.