PDA

View Full Version : Disney: When is the best off-season time to go?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
09-02-2005, 11:54 AM
It amazes me that DS remembers our trip to Disneyland 3 months ago! He still "talks" about it.

I'm thinking we need to take another trip, maybe in the fall of 2006 or spring 2007.

When is the best (non-busy, but still good weather, and cheapest) time to go?

Thanks!

saschalicks
09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
As a native Los Angeles girl I can tell you we never go in the summer, holiday season, or spring break season. Our favorite as kids was end of September. We are probably going to go in March for Jonah's first time (even though he'll still be too young), b/c I haven't gone in a while and I miss it.

hjdong
09-02-2005, 12:10 PM
I don't know that the Disneyland prices themselves change, but weather wise, I would say late October/early November or March, maybe May. The key is to miss school vacations (i.e. Thanksgiving and I think most school vacations around here are April-ish). Too early in October and it wil still be hot, March you risk hitting rain (although a good March/April IMO is the most beautiful 4-6 weeks in this region), late May sometimes, but rarely, can be hot.

I really can't tell you much about the prices because I'm apparently extremely rare in that I live so close and not only don't have yearly passes but haven't even taken DS yet. :o

icunurse
09-02-2005, 12:21 PM
We've gone twice, during the first two weeks of October. (We went to DisneyWorld, though). Great times both trips - short lines, weather nice enough, but not too hot. I think it is also still too early in the school season for a lot of parents to feel okay about pulling their child out of school for a vacation. We were able to get great prices, as the weather even at home wasn't horrible, so you didn't have the masses fleeing for the sunshine. Only thing to consider with DisneyWorld - October is the end of hurricane season.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

bostonsmama
09-02-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't know about cheapest times to go, but DH (who grew up in the valley) and I visit the Los Angeles/Anaheim once a year. We love the fall, although even November can be a little warm during the day still. We just flew into LAX this past Thanksgiving, and t-shirts and shorts were plenty sufficient until you got in the shade. Only mornings and evenings were chilly. By December 1st, when we flew back out, it had gotten pretty friggin cold in the morning. Christmas also has chilly days with lots of fog. It rains in the Spring, and summer is just brutal hot.

Here's a web article that talks about the various trade-offs of different seasons: http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/dlguide/3_Tripplan/time_of_year.htm

Their observations about using special shows and parades to draw crowds away from lines during busy seaons holds true to both of my experiences with Disney (albeit Disney World, not Land). Also, anytime around the holiday season the parks start to close early b/c of special "themed" shows with separate admission. IMO, you get less for your buck during times like that.

Have fun, though!
Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

buddyleebaby
09-02-2005, 04:42 PM
We went to DisneyWORLD at the very end of September a couple of years ago and it was GREAT. Beautiful weather and NO lines. We were there a week and spent 900 - 1000 dollars, airfare, hotel, food, and themeparks included.
HTH and applies to disneyland as well.

Tondi G
09-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I would say Late September through October.... then maybe April or May are all good times! go to mouseplanet.com and http://mousesaver.com/ and check out the info there!

we have annual passes and we love going when the kids are all back in school and the weather is cooler! We plan on taking a trip in October so our little guy can experience it for the first time!!!!

Have a wonderful trip!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

mom2kandj
09-03-2005, 11:14 AM
We love Disneyland during the first two weeks of December! The craziness of Thanksgiving has passed, but the holiday decorations are up! Keep in mind that park hours will be shorter and there could be rain(not as likely as in the spring!), but it is really a pretty time of year for DL. As for the spring, avoid the middle of February(presidents' holidays) and then avoid the three weeks surrounding Easter. Also, do not go to DL after the middle of May, as all the middle schools in the area reward their kids with a trip to DL at the end of the school year! (Imagine hundreds of jr high kids swarming around your toddler and screaming! Not fun!) Anyhoo, PLMK if you need any more DL info. I worked there for a very long time, until I quit two years ago to become General Manager of one crazy household! :P

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02