PDA

View Full Version : how much did you travel in the last weeks of pregnancy?

emilyf
09-03-2005, 09:34 AM
I'm due on Friday, and have been having contractions/been dilated for about a month. I have been trying to stick to my regular routine but assuming that the baby could come any time. The problem is that there have been a lot of family events this month that I have missed. My sil's wedding shower was a few weeks ago in PA (at least an hour from me) and although I initially accepted I decided not to go about a week ahead since it was in the evening, and I would have to drive up and back by myself. Now this weekend there is a big dinner for mil's retirement tonight and a b-day party for about 6 family members tomorrow night. Both of these events are also at least an hour away, and though dh will be with me I'm not thrilled about going. I think we are going to just do the one tonight, but I'm still not thrilled about it. I don't feel like sitting a car for that amount of time, and had a super fast sudden labor w/ds and don't relish the idea of that happening again an hour from the hospital. I feel like we are always in the doghouse for not seeing enough of dh's family, but come on! My extended family is gathering this weekend also (including cousins that I only see once a year) and I'm pretty much forgoing that altogether for the same reason-they are being much more understanding though! Sorry for the novel, just curious if I am the only one who likes to stick close to home late in pregnancy!
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

mudder17
09-03-2005, 10:01 AM
I actually traveled until I hit 36.5 weeks, I think. I flew at 34 weeks, I think it was. After that, I wanted to be as close to my doctor and the hospital as was possible. Especially with your history of a super fast labor, I would definitely stick close to home. You can send your regrets and maybe visit them some time after the baby is born. IMO, if you're due Friday, I would stick VERY close to home.

Sending you lots of hugs and good wishes for a very good labor and delivery (in your own hospital with your own doctor)!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

DebbieJ
09-03-2005, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't be going anywhere if I were in your shoes.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Momof3Labs
09-03-2005, 11:18 AM
I flew up to 34 weeks, and traveled up to an hour in the car up to 37.5 weeks (DS was born at 38 weeks).

But with your history of fast labor, I'd stay as close to home as possible!

psophia17
09-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Well, if you count my last actual visit somewhere, I did that for Thanksgiving - an 8 hour round trip journey to my parents, and it sucked at 8.5 months pg.

But I commuted to work in NYC an hour and a half each way up until December 19, two weeks before DS was born. That sucked, too.

I would stay close to home - except for short walks to the park, I didn't go anywhere extra, and I certainly didn't drive.

If they want to see you, they should go to your house :)

newbelly2002
09-03-2005, 02:58 PM
We were living out in the country, a good 45 minute drive from the "supplies" city, so I was doing that length drive right up to the day I went into labor. I think we drove 2 hours north to a reading the weekend before. I think it depends on your comfort level. You certainly have an iron clad excuse if you don't want to go. And given your history of fast labor (I *didn't* have that), you would be more than justified in staying home.

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02
And 2 sweet peas in an April pod

KrisM
09-03-2005, 07:41 PM
My last 1 hour drive was to the hospital :). I generally stayed close to home. If I went to a mall or something, which is about 45 minutes away, I had DH drive me, just in case. If you expect a fast labor, I'd stick near to the hospital.

Smiles81
09-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Well we drove an hour and a half away to a dinner when I was 39 weeks pregnant, and it was horrible (not b/c I was afraid of going into labor or anything) but I had terrible sciatica, and had to spend half of the dinner lying in someone's bedroom, and felt terrible the whole way home. It wasn't fun to say the least.

Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

aliceinwonderland
09-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I was overdue by approx. 10 days, and I remember DH and I took a 2 hr or so road trip to Provincetown, Cape Cod during that overdue week...It was fun, a bit of a down, fun time before the storm named Erik happened :)

But I had a crazy-easy pregnancy and delivery. I'd go with my gut on this one. My gut always tells me to be reckless :)