PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Clean Baby's Teeth?

randomkid
09-03-2005, 11:32 AM
DD just got her first tooth - it's so cute! Although, I have to say, the process of it getting here was not so cute. Anyway, what do you use to clean these first little teeth? Is it necessary to also clean their gums now? I've seen tooth and gum cleaner, but you all always have so many great tips I though I'd check here first.

TIA,

kijip
09-03-2005, 11:45 AM
When toby just had couple of teeth we used a cloth and wiped his whole mouth. Then we started brushing with the softest toothbrush and mild, tiny dollop of toothpaste. Since we have flouride in the water, I do not use a flouride toothpaste since Toby likes to take a turn brushing himself just for fun and I don't want him to get too much flouride.

I got that tooth and gum cleaner with the little finger brush and found it really difficult- it was easier to use a cloth and then a regualr toothbrush. However Toby cut teeth super late (15 months for first!) so it was easier to get him interested in brushing. The finger brush might be best for infants?

JBaxter
09-03-2005, 11:50 AM
When my ds's only had a couple teeth I just used the wash cloth when they took a bath or when I washed their faces in the mornings. They have very tiny tooth brushes but at this stage you dont want to use tooth paste with fluoride ( until they can spit) They make tooth&gum cleaner or toddler training paste that works great.
Jeana

hez
09-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Happy First Tooth!

We used a soft, soft toothbrush & water to start. Then graduated to the baby tooth & gum cleaner. Still using it, actually, as Payton hasn't learned to spit out the toothpaste yet!

mommy_someday
09-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Congrats on DD's first tooth! That's so exciting! DS just got his first two (at the same time - EEK!) two weeks ago. We've just been using a little finger toothbrush and it seems to be working out okay. He really likes to chew on it so it hasn't been an unpleasant experience for him yet.

Thanks for asking the question. I was wondering what others are doing myself. :)

MarisaSF
09-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Congrats! I love the "fang" stage myself!

I got a little baby-sized toothbrush. DD is still in the "put everything in your mouth" stage. She LOVES to hold the toothbrush in front of a mirror and put it in her mouth. I help by directing it over her teeth, gums, and tongue. DH and I sit with her in front of the mirror and make funny faces and sounds to get her to laugh, open up her mouth and often DH will brush his teeth at the same time as I help her brush hers.

For any readers with still-toothless babes, my friend is a pedi dentist. She suggested that you start early with some gauze on your finger, just wiping off babe's gums so they get used to having something in their mouth. That didn't work too well for us, but DD LOVED her toothbrush even before she had teeth.