PDA

View Full Version : What cute thing is DC doing?

kath68
09-04-2005, 06:03 PM
In an attempt to have some sorely needed levity, what cute things are your kids doing?

DS has taken to talking with his hands a lot. He particularly likes to hold his hands (and shoulders) in a position as if to say "well, I don't know." He jabbers on in toddler-ese at the same time. I have no idea what he is saying. Is DS signing, or is DS just Italian?

It is darned cute, and we mimick it back at him now. He has some regular signs he does, too, but this seems to be more like gesticulating emphatically.

ellies mom
09-04-2005, 06:44 PM
My DD did that too. It was so cute. I'm laughing just looking back at it. She would tell stories and you could tell she was saying something funny because she would stop and laugh and then keep going.

She is big on "shopping" now. She is always picking up something with a handle (bag, purse etc) and walks around saying "shopping". She added to that this weekend by picking up a shirt at Old Navy, holding it up to herself and saying "cute shirt". DH thought it was really cute on one hand and rather concerned on the other.

kijip
09-04-2005, 06:51 PM
He has started using pronouns, contractions and the like...all at once and his sentences are getting longer and longer. And asking questions all the time.

Recent converstations include...

Toby- "Where's Daddy?"

Me- "Daddy went to the store to get snacks and videos"

Toby smiles and replies- "Not videos mama, DVDs!".

I wondered how he even knew videos vs. DVDs then it occured to me. We don't have a VCR so when Toby picks up a VHS tape at the library or rental place, I say "No, we can't get that video, we can only get DVDs".

And:

My mother sees Toby pretending to smoke a stick (AAGGHAGGHHH! FU Mom!!)

She says "No Toby, that is YUCKY!".

Toby thinks for a little bit and replies "If yucky, why does Grandma doit?"

At which point my mother elaborated that it was SO yucky, only Grandma did it. So Toby has been wandering around repeating, "Mama doesn't smoke, Daddy doesn't smoke, Grandpa doesn't smoke, Bethany doesn't smoke, Aaron doesn't smoke (etc with every person he can think of)....Grandma smokes, YUCKY!"

There are more...he talks a mile a minute.

Calmegja2
09-04-2005, 06:56 PM
So sweet!!!!!

Meg started kindy a week ago.

She was trying to learn all the names of the kids she had been playing with at recess, but was frustrated.

She came home last week, absolutely triumphant.

She got into her backpack, and pulled out a handful of crumpled post-it notes, with names written on them.

She made her friends sign their names on the post-its, so she could take them out at home and, in her words, "rememorize" them

But the sweetest part was when she handed them to me and asked me to read them, because, "I can't read other kids' names yet!"

It was just darling!

And Josh said, the first morning they all went to school, "Finally! We're alone now!!!! " ;-)

bcky2
09-04-2005, 06:58 PM
i was just thinking about asking the same thing :)

my ds on fri was dancing to some music on tv, we had on a music station, just the normal bouncing type dancing. well a hard rock song came on and the people were banging their heads so my 16 month old puts one hand in the air and starts thrashing his head to the music, super cool little man i have ;) now where is the camcorder when you need it.

my older ds potty trained this week, not very cute but we are loving it :)

erosenst
09-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Fun to see what others are doing!

I went in to get Abby up from her nap this afternoon. She was sitting there with a big grin on her face...and her dress in her hands. It was the first time she had taken it off by herself, and she was VERY proud. I'm just hoping this isn't followed by figuring out how to take her diaper cover/pants and diaper off...

She also knows that we love it when she kisses us, and she likes to be kissed. So, she now has her stuffed animals kiss each other, has us kiss them, etc. Very cute.

mudder17
09-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Hee, hee, today Kaya picked up my thermometer, turned it on (it beeps), turned it off (it gave a long beep), then held it to her ear, "Hellwo? Jabber, jabber, jabber...Hi...jabber, jabber..."

She's started dancing to the Wiggles CD (we don't watch the DVD) and any upbeat music. It's very cute, but I think she gets a bigger kick out of watching mommy dance. :P

She and the twin babies (9 weeks younger than her) in the church daycare have started to really interact. It was great fun watching them follow each other around and pass toys around.

Oh, and we've started taking her out with her on the monkey leash (from Target) and everytime someone comments to her, "Oh, you have a monkey on your back!" she'll stop, point to the monkey behind her and do the monkey sign. It's very cute! :) Earlier this week, we put the monkey on her neighbor (4 weeks younger, but about 4 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier) and she grabbed the tail and "walked him around". It was pretty hysterical and we managed to get some of it on video.

I suppose I could go on and on, but I won't. :P

ETA: Thanks for starting this thread, Kathy! These threads always give me a lift and goodness knows we could use one of those!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

crl
09-04-2005, 07:11 PM
DS (2 yrs old) just started doing this. He grabs both cheeks, looks you in the eye and kisses you on the lips. It's hilarious.

KrisM
09-04-2005, 07:27 PM
DS is doing the same "well, I don't know" position!

My favorite is that he "bounces". If I ask him to bounce, he does - full body going up and down. It's like head-banger dancing or something. Pretty funny to watch.

aliceinwonderland
09-04-2005, 08:16 PM
DS mimicks us a lot: We sometimes point the finger vigorously and say something emphaticallyjokingly, for him), and he repeats it back, pointing his finger back at us :)

He picks up any item, puts it to his ear and says "Alo??"--the one words he knows in my language. I reapeat words to him like crazy now, but he refuses to repeat back. But he saw his dad eat a banana today and, very nonchalantly said "banana" and went on his way. Of course, he did not repeat it since... :)
He dances like crazy...Hand movements above his head, head shaking, entire body moving, it's hilarious. The first order of business when he wakes up is to go around and turn on each radio in the house. I play a Turkish CD (so i can wake up!) while I prepare his breakfast, and he goes nuts dancing to that :)

He pretends to cook. There's a coriander with some blocks in it and a wooden spoon on my floor right now. Yeah, I really should house-proof at some point. Especially since I lost 2 wine glasses this weekend :(

The other day for the first time in a while (perhaps because I've been gone a lot) he let me hold him for a looong time and and actually let me read to him without flinging the book. We made it through half a Babar story...

Wife_and_mommy
09-04-2005, 09:09 PM
The most recent is this: She's supposed to be sleeping but is having a problem falling asleep so I was holding her and giving her kisses. She signed "more" continuously. I was more than happy to oblige. :)

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png
Our second morsel due early February 2006!

aliceinwonderland
09-04-2005, 10:29 PM
OMG, that is hilarious!! Now you can have an inside joke when he does something funny "What was Toby smoking?" hehe...

starrynight
09-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Jessica and Katie, both of those are hilarious!!

E has become backpack obsessed since A started school a few weeks ago. I found an old small backpack she can carry, she keeps filling it up with toys and then bringing it to me and patting herself on the back to signal me to put it on her LOL.

psophia17
09-04-2005, 10:39 PM
I love these threads - our babies are growing up!

DS no longer says "Mama boobies" when he wants blueberries. Now, it's "Mama....GOOBIES!" at the top of his lungs.

Yesterday he finally called MIL "Gamma" - he has been calling her Mama and me Mummy, but now I get both of those...thank goodness. He has also started flipping out whem Papa (FIL) and DaaaaahDeeeee come home from work. He's a little lover.

He also has a girlfriend, Cici. If I want him to do something that he doesn't want to do, I tell him that Cici is doing it (naptime, eating carrots, picking up her toys, whatever), and he has to do it to. Cici just turned one, and whenever we do get together, DS is all about giving her hugs and kisses, and he's the gentlest little guy. And watching him talk to her is the funniest.

DS also has started running - and he gets so excited about it that he will start yelling "running running running" (still at the top of his lungs) whenever we go outside, or if he wants to go outside. If he's inside, his running ends in a belly-flop...usually on furniture, but often on Mama or Dahdee...too funny :) Another thing we have spent some time teaching him is to throw away garbage...but sometimes he messes up and throws away the toys he's picking up accidentally.

And my personal favorite - we've taken to watching Birth Stories on the W channel, and every time a baby is born, DS asks me where my baby is...it's so sweet and I can't wait to oblige :)

deborah_r
09-04-2005, 11:47 PM
At diaper changes now we usually have to go through the list of who has a penis and who doesn't. If he even thinks about his penis, just any old time, he'll look at us and say "Kai penis, Daddy penis, NO Mommy penis."

Yesterday we were running some errands and suddenly Kai says "Go to beach? Play in water?" So we took him to the beach today! I still don't know what made him think of it.

And unfortunately he seems to be working on mastering the skill of looking very sweet and cute while blatantly disobeying me! He'll get the sweetest smile on his face, a little glint in the eye, and do something bad right in front of me.

tarahsolazy
09-05-2005, 12:53 AM
We have that toddler-ese jabbering and gesturing, too. My guy lifts up his arm to about a 45 degree angle and yells alot, LOL!

He's really started imitating recently. He "cooks" in the kitchen, and loves to do yardwork with DH. The broom and rubber mallet are his favorite things in the garden shed.

He is walking backwards, just because he can.

He is obsessed with shoes, his, ours, whomever. He'll bring you combinations to put on him, like a Blue's Clues slipper and a sneaker. Then walk around like that for an hour.

He's really liking books all of a sudden, he brings them to us, and backs into our laps to be read to. However, I'm starting to internally groan every time I see him coming at me with "Miss Spider's New Car". We read it about 10 times a day, at least.

ribbit1019
09-05-2005, 08:06 PM
These threads always make me smile. :)

Today DD decided that she wanted to learn how to jump. She would crouch down and pop up and yell "Go!" A couple of times she actually left the ground and one time she didn't even fall after she hopped!

Also after anyone or if she does anything mildly entertaining she yells "awrite, awrite!" at the top of her lungs and claps. Very cute!

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

nov04
09-05-2005, 08:44 PM
I love hearing about all these cute things, the anticipation!!!

dd's newest thing is sticking her fingers up my nose or in my mouth. She also loves blowing raspberries on my shoulders (they sound real!!!). I only wear sleeveless tops at home so thank goodness she doesn't have much opportunity when we go out!!!!!!