PDA

View Full Version : OT - favors for bday party of 100 year old

jhaud
09-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Saw the other post for the childhood adult party that sounds like so much fun! got me to helping with the plans for my great-aunts 100th bday party. and the last detail we don't have covered are favors. any ideas? something simple and inexpensive. my mom, aunt and i are all crafty people, so homemade/put together is good! of course if we don't come up with anything else, we'll do the old reliable candy in cellophane bag!

thanks for any ideas!

jennifer

pb&j
09-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Many congrats to your great aunt!!! My husband's grandfather turned 100 a little over a year ago, and the party was lots of fun. He's still going strong at 101, and plays cards regularly (and usually wins).

How about some candy in a craftsy package with a copy of an old picture of your great aunt on one side, and a recent photo on the other as the gift tag? We had some old photos of Grandad around the room, and they were really the hit of the day. We even had a picture from when he turned one, a gown he wore as a baby, and an outfit he wore as a little boy. Especially for family, the photos were really special and meaningful.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

August Mom
09-04-2005, 08:46 PM
I was thinking pictures as well. For my grandmother's 95th birthday party, we took photos from various stages of her life and collaged them in frames and put them around the room. We had a different photo as a centerpiece for each table. We didn't do favors, though.

The favors that we did for our wedding could work. They were flowers made out of Hershey kisses. You take kisses, wrap them in colored plastic wrap, and attach them to stems covered in green floral tape. We also added silk leaves to the stem and a ribbon that had our names and wedding date. You could probably put her name and birthdate on a ribbon or slip of paper.

At a baby shower, we did candy bars with personalized wrappers.

Another possibility is to make a sheet with fun facts about the date that your great aunt was born (or at least the year she was born). Maybe compare the price of certain things.

Have fun!

Momof3Labs
09-04-2005, 09:09 PM
>Another possibility is to make a sheet with fun facts about
>the date that your great aunt was born (or at least the year
>she was born). Maybe compare the price of certain things.

I was thinking of something along this line. You could expand it a little and pick tidbits from each significant year of her life - starting school, starting (or graduating) high school, marriage, etc.

jhaud
09-05-2005, 08:59 PM
thanks for the ideas! as it turns out i do have a few pictures of her on a cd somewhere! i had gone through my grnadmothers photo albums with her the summer before she passed away (she passed last summer) and scanned a bunch of pictures.

my aunt is not really happy about turning 100 - as she is ready to go 'home' - she is the last of her siblings (and my grandmother was 10 years younger!) and her husband passed in '91 even her 99 year old cousin who we are also close with passed this past spring. she is feeling very lonely and has never been a very upbeat person to begin with! as she says... "the first hundred years are the hardest!" we love her... good thing!

thanks again, i knew someone would have ideas for me!

jennifer