PDA

View Full Version : update: my cat was found alive, barely

kath68
09-05-2005, 08:00 PM
As some of you might recall, my 15 year-old sick indoor cat went missing about a month ago.

He was found today by a neighbor about 1/4 mile down the road underneath his front porch. He had to rip up the decking to get to him. He was still alive, and we raced him to the emergency vet, DS in tow.

Lumpa was unbelievably thin, covered in filth, and clearly not well. The vet speculated that he had had a stroke, and had severe intestinal/kidney problems, and probably some infections. After spending some time with Lumpa, DH and I decided it was time to let him go.

In the end, I am grateful that we were able to give him some comfort, despite the intense suffering he must have gone through in the past month. He was purring in my arms just moments before he passed.

I am sad and it was gut wrenching, but at least he wasn't alone at the end. Thank you all for your concern and support about my missing cat. In light of recent events, it seems like such a small issue, but he was family. I know people here understand that.

papal
09-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Hugs Kathy... I am so sorry about Lumpa. :(
I am glad you found him and he was able to be with his human family when he passed.. poor kitty. :(

pl71
09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Poor kitty. Still, I'm so glad you found him and were able to be with him at the end.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Patty

kensjen
09-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Oh Kathy, I am so glad that you found Lumpa. I'm sorry you had to let him go, but I am sure that he was so glad to see you and it was comforting to him that you were there as he passed.

Big ((((HUGS)))) mama. I certainly understand that he is family.

mudder17
09-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Oh, Kathy, I'm so sorry about Lumpa! I definitely understand about him being family and I know you're going to miss him terribly. But know that he wasn't alone when he passed and he received comfort from his family--those he loved, and those he knew loved him!

Big Hugs and Purrs!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

hez
09-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Humongous (((hugs))) to you, Kathy. I'm glad you were able to be there for your cat. I'm very sorry for your loss.

nov04
09-05-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm so sorry Lumpa suffered so long, bless you for letting go. So many ppl find it hard to make that decision.

JMS
09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
My pets have always been my "family".. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to be with him at the end and that you also were able to have some closure after missing him for so long.

It's so hard and I wish I could say something to help. I'm sorry.

ribbit1019
09-05-2005, 08:21 PM
I'm so sorry about your Lumpa!
I am glad that he was found and that he got to spend his last few moments with you.

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

jd11365
09-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Kathy, I'm so sorry about Lumpa. :( It's amazing that you found him, and that he passed peacefully where he was probably happiest...in your arms. HUGS!

octmom
09-05-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm so sorry, Kathy. :( ((hugs))

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://bd.lilypie.com/UB6Bm4/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

alleyoop
09-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Huggs Kathy! I am glad that Lumpa was found and you were able to give him and you some peace in his passing. You were a great mommy to your kitty and I am sure he knew how much you loved him.

Momof3Labs
09-05-2005, 08:34 PM
That is amazing, Kathy.

I'm sorry for your loss, but hope that today gave you a small amount of closure that I know you were missing.

Hugs.

pb&j
09-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Kathy -

I am so glad you were able to comfort and care for your cat in his last moments on this earth. What a gift to be able to have that time with him. I'm sure he was grateful to be with his family. I hope he is at peace now, and that those last moments with him are healing for your family.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

wendmatt
09-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Oh Kathy,how heartbreaking. I'm glad you found him and were able to say goodbye and comfort him in his last hrs. HOpe you are all doing OK.

Vajrastorm
09-05-2005, 09:00 PM
I am so sorry - my pets are family too.

I am near tears with the bittersweetness of his passing. I am sad that he spent his last month on the road, but thankful that he was reunited with his loved ones before he died. That was a gift.

mommy_someday
09-05-2005, 09:17 PM
Oh, Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Lumpa. That must have been such a bittersweet experience for you and your family. Hugs to you and your family. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

edited to fix typo

Wife_and_mommy
09-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm so glad you found him even considering the end. How wonderful for Lumpa that he had his family with him and wasn't alone. What a gift.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png

mysweetboy
09-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Kathy, I'm so sorry that you lost Lumpa but glad that you were able to spend his last moments w/him.

Hugs,
Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04
and a sweet baby girl due 10/05!

almostamom
09-05-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Lumpa, but glad that you did find him and that he was able to go peacefully in your loving arms.

Hugs,
~Linda~
DS 11/04

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
09-05-2005, 10:03 PM
I know it must sound strange to you but I honestly think about Lumpa all the time-as if he was mine!!!!...and what your family must have been going thru while Lumpa was gone. Even before you wrote about sweet Lumpa was and about his life in your family I just teared up thinking of him...

I have wanted to ask everyday if you had any news...but knew that must be salt in the wound, but I just wanted to know...

I am sooo saddened that you had to make a decision this evening but I am so glad to hear that Lumpa was where he belonged and purring to the ones who loved him. An amazing story!!!!!!! He hung in there waiting for you all there is no doubt.

I love your neighbor!!!!
Big hugs to you mama bear!!!
I said out loud to hubby as I was reading "they found Lumpa!!!!!!"
and as I read your post out loud my little non social schooner came and asked to be put up in my lap...he is sitting on the keyboard (and hasn't done that in a long time)...for he knows the wonderful news of Lumpa being found was being read. I am so sorry for your loss though- and this is not a small issue by any stretch- Lumpa was family and I have a peace in me just knowing that you found that precious baby!!!!

Hugs to you!!!

kath68
09-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Thank you all for your kindness. Bittersweet is the right word. I am relieved that we found him before he passed (a lesson to everyone that you shouldn't give up hope; we had given up a couple weeks ago). But if only we could have gotten to him sooner. I don't think it would have changed much, but I am so sad that he was out there suffering alone (and I drive by that house every day).

It blows me away that he was still alive. What a tough little guy.

HannaAddict
09-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Oh Kathy,
I was so happy to see your update and then terribly sad that Lumpa died. But I know he was comforted by being with you, in your arms at the end. I hope that you have some closure and I'm just sorry that you didn't have more time with him. Please take care.

deborah_r
09-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Oh Kathy, I'm so sorry! That is awful! I am glad you were able to say goodbye, however.

new_mommy25
09-06-2005, 02:08 AM
Oh Kathy, I got pins and needles reading your post. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. I have been a cat owner all my life and I truly feel your pain. But I am so happy that he was found and was able to pass away in your loving arms. Kudos to your neighbor for finding him and alerting you.

VClute
09-06-2005, 05:02 AM
I'm so sorry that you had to let him go, but at least you know that he was happy in your arms. I hope you'll feel better soon.

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

emelsea
09-06-2005, 07:55 AM
I felt the same way, Neve!! As I puttered around my house everyday, tripping over my two kitties, I'd think about Lumpa. If I was in our closet looking for something, I'd think "I wonder if Lumpa was in her closet under some blankets and stuff?" It was almost as if I was expecting to find him in MY house somewhere!!

Kathy, I'm so glad that Lumpa was found, and that you now have some closure. And I'm happy for Lumpa that he was able to hold on until he saw his family again. What a kind neighbor you have, to go so such lengths to help a poor kitty.

(((Hugs)))

amp
09-06-2005, 08:01 AM
It's not a small issue Kath! He was your "baby"! And I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye to him and see that he'd suffered! I wish he'd not had to endure such hardship, especially when I know how scared you were for him and how much you wanted him home! He had a wonderful family and you and it was a gift to him in the end that the people who loved him most were there at the very end. That must have been very comforting to him.

I'm crying as I type this. I remember, as if it was yesterday, how gut wrenching it was to say goodbye to my cat 2.5 yrs ago. Hugs to you as you grieve for your Lumpa.

alkagift
09-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Oh, Kathy, you poor thing. I am SO happy that Lumpa found you so that he could be comforted with you and by you. I know a little of what you're going through, I had to put my cat Scout down on Saturday and DH and I have been very sad, although she likely had some form of intestinal cancer and would not have gotten any better.

I'm glad you had some sort of closure, and rest assured Lumpa is in a better place. Good thing is, Scout's there to show him around!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/

kath68
09-06-2005, 09:35 AM
:)

Sorry for your loss. Glad Scout is there for my little guy.

aliceinwonderland
09-06-2005, 10:23 AM
I have no pets at all, and your post gave me the goosebumps. I think he was found so you could provide him with some comfort and so that he could leave in love. Hugs to you and your family.

amp
09-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Allison, I'm sorry about the loss of your cat. Hugs to you too!

alkagift
09-06-2005, 12:26 PM
That's what I think too--only you said it so perfectly!!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

pritchettzoo
09-06-2005, 12:29 PM
I'm so glad you found him and were able to say goodbye. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweetie.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

brittone2
09-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Losing a pet is never a small issue in my book. I understand how hard it is :(

I'm so sorry that he wasn't well, but I'm so thankful that he could be with your family in the end. Being surrounded by that kind of warmth and love at the end had to be so very comforting to him.

Please take care. I'll be thinking of your family today.

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
09-06-2005, 01:12 PM
as crazy as it sounds anytime I did something that involved closing a door or something I thought "hmmm maybe Lumpa is here"...it was as if I would come across him while he searched for his home.

zen_bliss
09-06-2005, 03:35 PM
what a wonderful neighbor. i'm so glad you were reunited with lumpa, however briefly, and that you had final moments of love and comfort and closure. farewell, dear friend.

saschalicks
09-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Oh Kathy,
In some ways I am so happy for you in your ability to say "good-bye" to your beloved family member. We lost an elderly dog 2.5 years ago and I often wonder what her last days were like. I would've loved to say good-bye to her, but it wasn't in the grand plan. I am so so so sorry for your loss, but thankfully he is in the place where all loved animals go when they leave us. :) Take care of yourself.

mamalou
09-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Tears and hugs for you.

Lou