PDA

View Full Version : Snacks for Preschool?

wdland45
09-05-2005, 09:28 PM
My son starts preschool at a local cooperative school next week. Since it is a co-op, the parents have to work in the classroom once a month and provide the snack for the class that day. Any suggestions for a good, healthy snack from Whole Foods or Trader Joes (or anywhere else)? There are some kids with nut and dairy allergies, so nothing with nuts or dairy. We also can't bring anything that had to be prepared (like cut fruit - never know what other people's idea of sanitary conditions in the kitchen are IYKWIM...). We're encouraged to bring healthy items of course, but I would like the kids to enjoy it! Have you had anything YUMMY that you think would have mass appeal to a room full of preschoolers?
TIA
Danielle

mudder17
09-05-2005, 09:42 PM
Hmm...what about boxes of raisins? How about Veggie Booty (I'm looking at the package right now, lol, and it doesn't have any dairy in it)--can it be a bag of it that you pour into individual cups or something like that, but which you don't have to actually prepare them?

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

new_mommy25
09-06-2005, 02:11 AM
bump for you.

August Mom
09-06-2005, 09:16 AM
I was thinking Veggie Booty too. Maybe wheat pretzels? The Rold Gold Honey Wheat twists are really good. Hummus with pita chips (would that be allowed if you bought premade hummus?) would have nutritional value.

Momof3Labs
09-06-2005, 09:49 AM
I was thinking raisins, too. Perhaps offer raisins and some other dried fruit (DS loves dried cranberries) and something less sweet to complement them, like pretzels or crackers. A mixture like that is nice because picky little eaters can go through and eat what they want.

trumansmom
09-06-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm so glad you posted this! I just found out today at DS' first day of preschool (*sniff*), that I'm in charge of snack for Thursday! So far I'm leaning toward dried cranberries and pretzels mixed together.

Who would have thought serving 3 year olds could be so intimidating?!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

jd11365
09-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Remember the "green booty effect" you get from the booty. Easy to manage with 1, might be a little tricky with 20, kwim? I think they'd love it though, so maybe have some wipes out, ready to go! :)

papal
09-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Dried cranberries and raisins? Puffed rice? Cheese? Baby Carrots?

Calmegja2
09-06-2005, 10:08 AM
At our preschool, we do Goldfish crackers (transfat free), wholewheat pretzels, quartered grapes and cheese cubes, sliced apples and soynut butter, mini bagels with cream cheese (flavored, usually), hummus and bagel crisps, apple slices with caramel dip (but usually only for the older classes), orange quarters,dry cereal, etc...

Hope that helps!

*eta, I see you can't do cut fruit... is there a provision for cut fruit that you can cut at school? I can make quick work of apples with my handle dandy corer/slicer.....

MelissaTC
09-06-2005, 10:41 AM
These are some of the snacks served at DS's preschool-

graham cracker sticks
carrots and ranch dressing for dip
cheese and crackers
bananas and cherrios
cherrios and dried fruit
nilla wafers and bananas
mixed cereals
fig newtons
mini muffins
whole wheat pretzels

pixelprincess
09-06-2005, 11:33 AM
String Cheese
Apple Sauce
Mandrian Orange cans
Raisins
Annie's goldfish crackers (not 100% sure but some organic brand with less sodium)
TJ's has sesame and ranch crackers too

bunnisa
09-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Cheetos and red soda?

One mom mentioned her church serves that to the toddlers.

(just kidding, obviously!)

Those mini (individual) packs of baby carrots might be good. If not too messy, you could dip in hummous.

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

kransden
09-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Here are some things that my daycare serves. Some of them are odd but the kids don't seem to mind.

bagels and cream cheese (that is a big hit!)The non-dairy kids could have jelly or just serve jelly.
english muffins w/ jelly
grapes
cornbread w/apple juice
graham crackers and yogurt
grape tomatoes and other veggies with dip

Did the school have any suggestions?

BTW it is too late in the season, but when strawberries came out, I bought a flat from the farmers market and some of the microwave dip. The kids had a great time making a mess and eating the strawberries. I cleared it with the teachers first before I brought it.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Tondi G
09-06-2005, 02:18 PM
graham crackers
carrots (vegis) and ranch dressing for dip(trader joes has prepacked bagged baby carrots)
string cheese and crackers
bananas and cherrios
chex and dried fruit (cranberries,cherries,raisins)
mixed cereals
trader joes has fruit bars (like nutrigrain bars!) in a variety of flavors
mini muffins... blueberry, carrot, corn bread,
whole wheat pretzels
vegi booty or pirates booty
mini bagels and cream cheese (could substitute jelly for cc)
applesauce cups

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

lukkykatt
09-06-2005, 06:37 PM
A big hit from last year was applesauce with graham cracker sticks. Also one time DS picked little boxes of raisins and pretzels - I thought that sounded a little boring, but apparently the kiddos raved about it. I am not positive, but I think only the original goldfish don't have dairy (saying that without a box handy).