PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for bedridden mama??

SASM
09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
First of all, HUGE "Thank you's" to you for your thoughts and prayers for Jera and the little one!! I promise to post an update as soon as I have more info. I am going to print out the post and send it with my package tomorrow. I KNOW that your support will make her day!

That being said...I cannot find any posts on gift suggestions for moms on bedrest. I KNOW that there have been several out there and I cannot find them. :( So...does anyone have a link bookmarked?

For you mamas with bedrest experience, any suggestions? I know her DH stocked her up with books but I thought magazines might nice (short articles with little thought). Unfortunately, my usual picks (People, O, Cosmo, Vogue, and InStyle) are either superthick or inappropriate (depressing). Then, I thought of a mobile pedicure but I am uncertain if their technique would be safe (As a massage therapist, I wouldn't give a mom in premature labor a foot massage). The only other thing I can think of would be a gift card to one of her favorite restaurants (DH to pick up the food) and some nice lotions, but does that seem too ordinary?? It is upsetting me so much that I cannot physically be there for her so I want to send a magical "something" that can comfort her.

Thank you so much in advance.

kensjen
09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
Not sure what you want to spend but here's a few ideas:

comfy jammies or loungewear, soft socks

tea (does she like that?) other favorite snacks

maybe some fun color of nail polish and other manicure/pedicure supplies (OPI polish)

a journal or something to write in

a kids book for her to read to her DC while in bed

maybe a DVD? If you know some movies she would like

I also like your ideas, the gift card to a restaurant sounds perfect, and lotions, etc are always good. I don't think it is too ordinary, and I am sure she would love it. You are such a sweet friend!

bostonsmama
09-06-2005, 12:33 AM
For the 3 days that I was on strict bedrest for my 2nd pg, I really wanted magazines; a bedside table for the tv remote, phone, vites/pills, water, snacks, and books I needed at hand; and I used that phone to call a friend and have her bring over KFC chicken and biscuits. An Applebees Carside to Go menu and giftcard (or Ruby Tuesdays, Outback, etc) would be a wonderful gift!! Also, when I was in the hospital on bedrest for 5 days following that pg, I loved the crossword puzzles, word search puzzles, and novels my mother bought me.

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

Momof3Labs
09-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Sharyn, check out this group; I've heard a lot of good things about them!!

http://www.sidelines.org/

lmariana
09-06-2005, 08:21 AM
How about a hobby she can learn while in bed? During my short stay on bedrest, I got a knitting book and some yarn. I learned to knit, and it was a really great way to pass the time.

At Target, they carry some kits called "Knit This" that include an instructional DVD (SO easy to learn with this) and all the supplies you'll need. Great way to learn!

Other thoughts...
crossword puzzle books
board games or anything she can play while laying down
the entire Harry Potter series! That will pass the time nicely!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com/news.html
www.heinzandmariana.com/deals.html

http://b3.lilypie.com/PVjPm4/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/preggopals

August Mom
09-06-2005, 08:42 AM
One of my friends on bedrest liked to do activity books - crossword puzzles, word searches, etc.

I'm not sure if this is feasible, but if she has a taptop and doesn't have wireless networking, that would be super cool (but maybe cost prohibitive). That way she could research and hang out here from the comfort of her bed. I don't know what I ever did without wireless networking. :)

JulieL
09-06-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm on modified bedrest at my home - but I don't really do much else than lay on the couch or on a good day sit at the table or desk to get online. I would say anything that releaves stress is great. I would think of her interests or hobbies and get related mags to those. I am NOT interested in reading about hollywood types and how their diets worked and such. I also am not interested in pregnancy mags either - as now I'm at such a place I can't relate or do any of the things mentioned - now that can be depressing. Good easy read novels are great. What I mean by easy read is something more comical in sence, lighthearted, or a good drama novel. When I'm having a rough day I can't concentrate on my more intelligent/harder reads. Another thing is I searched high and low online to find a preemie outfit to bring our little girl in as I don't think I'm gonna go full term. The previous outfit I got was Gap up to 7 lbs - and know for a little one born around 34-36 weeks it will be huge. I found some by Little Me on www.macys.com that I liked that were preemie size. To me it's a big deal to have a special outfit for her. The hardest part of having a rough pregnancy - though mine not as high risk as Jera's - is the uncertainty of when the baby is going to come, and to take all the steps in between in stride. So for me it was a relieving thing to have the outfit, but ask her what she thinks, cause she might see it as a heartbreaking thought her baby won't be full term. I really liked the clothes idea as I feel like a slump - a cute outfit or pj's would be a nice gesture. Also I have one of those micro filled pillows - it's great, especailly when laid up in a hospital bed. Some water based, but flavored drinks would be nice too - as I'm sick of drinking gobs of water every day and something else would be nice. Maybe a phone card to call long distance friends and family too. Anyway just a few thoughts, I hope things get better for her soon!

I heard these are a "magical gift" - very cute! http://www.pajamagram.com/newmoms.html

muskiesusan
09-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Okay, maybe a little off, but what about something like a rainbow maker? I bought one for my niece a few years ago and it can really brighten a room!

http://www.randomaccents.com/kl1588.html

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Calmegja2
09-06-2005, 10:13 AM
Sidelines.org, as Lori mentioned, has fabulous ideas, just amazing things, and also has strategies for coping with it all.

They really helped me!

C99
09-06-2005, 11:22 AM
I was on bedrest for 6 weeks w/ Rose. Fluffy magazines are a good bet -- Glamour, People, etc. If she's flat on her back or side or even slightly head down, there isn't a lot she can do. When I was on BR, the best things for me were personal visits from people. They didn't have to be long, but just having someone come talk to me and tell me about their news was a great distraction from my situation.

calebsmama03
09-06-2005, 11:47 AM
I'd agree with much of what's already been posted. My bedrest with C started at 23 weeks and went till 36 - I pray that Jera stays on BR that long!!! Sucks, but the end result is so worth it :) Definitely brain candy type magazines, yummy healthy snacks, nice loungewear (THIS would be the best since you get incredibly sick of your PJ's and I felt better getting dressed, even though I had no where to go!), some nice scented lotions/body sprays and "babywipes", as I'm imagining her BF is strict and she can't get up to bathe, waterless "shampoo", a large pitcher/thermos or other container to hold water/drinks bedside, small cooler with icepacks to keep cold snacks nearby. I would have loved a pedi but would have been nervous about the massage aspect. Another helpful thing is offering to help shop for baby. Tougher when you're not local but it was great to have a friend willing to help out with the sutff I couldn't get online.
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

SummerBaby
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
I was on bedrest for 6 weeks due to PIH/preeclampsia. I lived for every Friday when the new People and Us Weekly came out. Other than that, I agree with what the PP said- the best gift of all is the gift of your company, or even just a phone call to chat. It's very lonely being stuck in the house all day! Also, I was so worried about my baby at that time, the distraction of another person was just what I needed.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

cchavez
09-06-2005, 12:40 PM
My friend on bedrest loves to watch movies. So I have given her several Blockbuster giftcards. You could even try Blockbuster Online that would be convenient for her. hth

June Mommy
09-06-2005, 12:58 PM
When I was on bedrest, I enjoyed reading novels, baby-related books, favorite magazines, etc. I had my DH move the computer right beside the couch so I could surf online, and spent a lot of time doing that! We had dial-up at the time. A wireless laptop with an internet connection would have been my dream come true. I also did crossword puzzles, computer games, and cross-stitching. Comfy loungewear is a must, I felt really ratty a lot of the time! I had a friend that dropped of tons of DVDs, and that was great. If she is into TV series shows like SATC, the complete season would occupy a lot of time. I love the restaurant gift card idea. One thing that bummed me out was that I couldn't get out and shop for the baby. I went on bedrest right before finding out what we were having, so all my plans of getting out and registering had to wait. Helping to shop in some sort of capacity would have been nice. And of course, phone conversations and visits are great. I hated bedrest to begin with, but by the end I had gotten used to it and even actually almost enjoyed it. What I wouldn't give now for a week to myself to just veg.

COElizabeth
09-06-2005, 03:37 PM
You've gotten lots of great ideas, but one other thing I would suggest is to ask her what projects she hoped to complete before the baby's arrival. Some of them just may not be possible to complete, but you might be able to help with some others. If she is wanting to bring her photo albums and scrapbooks up to date, for example (this was something I really had a strong urge to do before both my babies arrived!), you could order the correct photo pages for her, etc. Of if it's painting the nursery, you could mail her paint sample cards and let her choose, then have her DH paint the room or arrange to have it painted. I think it's sometimes easier for other moms than DHs to sympathize with how strong the nesting urge can be and how upsetting it is not to be able to "do things" to get ready for your baby, even when you intellectually you know you're doing the most important thing by staying in bed!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

jk3
09-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Sidelines is a fabulous organization. When I was on bedrest I was assigned a buddy through this site and it was a huge help.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png