PDA

View Full Version : is this organic enough... ?

urquie
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
dd drinks organic milk but i'm considering trying a milk delivery service which is almost organic. they do not use growth hormones or antibiotics and the milk would be delivered to me within 24-36 hours after milking. the only thing keeping them from being certified organic is that the feed is not organic (it does come from local growers.) the delivered milk is almost half the cost of the organic milk.

i like that i'm supporting local farmers.
i like that it's fresher.
i like that it's delivered to my door.
i like that it's cheaper.

i wish the feed was organic.

what do you guys think, do the pros outweigh the cons?

knaidel
09-07-2005, 02:41 PM
yes, yes, and yes. I would definetly go with it. You have to decide how much the feed bothers you. That wouldn't bother me enough to pass it up.

slknight
09-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I think the pros outweigh the cons. It also depends whether you want to be strict about organic b/c you don't want any chemicals in your (or your child's body) or whether you want to support the organic movement in principle or for environmental purposes or whatever. I might not be phrasing that right but it just depends on what your personal pros and cons are, kwim?

Anyway, there was a recent article in Organic Style that discussed this very issue with respect to veggies. Better to buy organic veggies that had been shipped in from somewhere or buy local veggies from a local farmer but weren't organic? They said that local was better over organic. It also saves quite a bit environmentally in terms of transportation costs.

There is a local dairy here that delivers and I really need to look into it.

wagner36
09-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Well, it depends on what kind of organic milk you buy now. There are some 'organic' brands that ONLY guarantee that they don't use growth hormones or antibiotics - they don't guarantee pesticide-free grazing land or organic feed. I believe the organic kirkland (and maybe even the organic Trader Joe's milk) is this sort. Only a few organic milk companies (i.e. Horizon) guarantee it all.

So, it could be that your current organic milk is going to be the same as the home delivery service, in which case you're not missing much.

We have a local dairy (oberweiss) that delivers, but they don't guarantee the organic feed, so we still get ours at Whole Foods. I don't know how much it actually matters, but I figure it can't hurt.

aliceinwonderland
09-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I have the same dilema: we drove to the Poconos and made an impromptu stop at a local farm that sold milk in glass, recyclable bottles (big plus!) that was delivered from a local dairy farm (another big plus)which was hormone and antiobiotic free. And it was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper that the org. milk we get at Whole foods or even TJ...Even after the bottle deposit, which is a one-time thing anyway...

So i am a bit torn too. I am looking for raw milk too, and the dilemma will be even bigger if I find it closer to us!!

DebbieJ
09-07-2005, 05:23 PM
I'd go for the fresher, local milk.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

chlobo
09-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Eri,

Have you seen this website:

http://www.nofamass.org/programs/rawmilk/index.php

They have a lot of information about raw milk. Although its Mass based I thought it was a good resource.

C99
09-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Oberweis doesn't even claim to be organic -- only that they are rBST-free. Getting it delivered is MORE than the cost of organic milk at WF or TJ's, so we dropped the service.

emelsea
09-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Where was that? (I'm from that neck of the woods). I know of a couple farms that sell in glass, but they are about a 45 min drive from here, and that is just too far for me. They are out in the country, too, so it's not like they are located somewhere that is convenient for a side trip if I'm doing errands, either. Maybe the place you stopped is close to me? Thanks.

I was raised on a dairy farm, and all we drank growing up was raw milk. Why are you looking for raw?

starrynight
09-08-2005, 11:36 AM
I would go for it.

aliceinwonderland
09-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Oops. I don;t drive, so we just saw the sign, made a mad turn and ended up buying that milk and went on our merry way. But, since DH was driving, he probably remembers and I'll ask him.

aliceinwonderland
09-08-2005, 01:06 PM
I have yet to check it out (want to do when i have plenty of time), but thanks for posting it. I have found a couple of farms, but they're either too far, or they are not accepting any new people on their pick-up lists :(

urquie
09-08-2005, 03:03 PM
thanks for all the input! i just place an order for milk, eggs, cottage cheese, and whipping cream. figured i should just give it all a try! i'm super excited, i just love the idea of having high quality milk/dairy delivered!

calebsmama03
09-08-2005, 05:05 PM
FWIW, this is what my milk delivery is like too and I like it. Tastes as good or better than Horizon and is local - lasts a long time!
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

supercalifragilous
09-08-2005, 07:20 PM
We subscribe to a local farm delivery since DD started cow's milk and we absolutely love it. I used to run to the store just to buy milk (pain!) so I LOVED that it was delivered every Monday morning. Our cost is pretty comparable to the Costco organic milk, only we get to mix up 1/2 galllons of 2%, 1%, and whole for DD and it saves me a trip to Costco.

About the feed... our delivery guy pointed out that although the feed isn't organic, it is all-grain (no mixed-in animal byproducts). I'm sure your farm is the same way but I'd call just to make sure about the feed. I got so grossed out by reading what's in the feed of regular cows I now make sure even the beef we consume is 100% grain-fed, though it doesn't have to be certified organic.

mom_of_gia
09-12-2005, 04:09 PM
This sounds like a great opportunity. How could I find out if a similar service exists in my area? I'm in Central Florida.

Thanks,
Denise