PDA

View Full Version : How many months between first steps and being a good walker?

KBecks
09-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Alek took his first steps earlier this week. How many months do we have before he will choose walking as his primary method?

I'm trying to gauge for shoes and other things.

Thanks,

JBaxter
09-08-2005, 07:41 PM
It took Nathan a week. He started at 10 months with a few steps and after that he didnt crawl. My oldest was 12.5 months when he walked and did the same thing. DS #2 did steps for a month ish then started really walking.
jeana

KrisM
09-08-2005, 08:41 PM
DS didn't crawl until a month after he walked. But, it took about 2 weeks before he was very steady in his walking.

mudder17
09-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I think every child is different, but Kaya didn't start walking until she was 14.5 months. So somewhat later than most kids. Also, she rarely did cruising before that. In any case, the next day, she was walking backwards. So about a day?

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 18 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

DDowning
09-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Carson took his first steps 3 days after his first birthday. It took him a good month before he was steady enough to walk across the room. I'd say it was another month before he was really confident in his walking ability.

Congrats on the development milestone!

hellosmiletoday
09-08-2005, 09:01 PM
About one month.

We purchased Stride rite shoes about 3 weeks after her first steps, but the salespeople did not measure her correctly and gave us "cruising" shoes instead of "walking" shoes. DD is small for her age so they probably didnt believe that she was walking. Anyway, she outgrew the shoes in one month. We were pretty annoyed at the store, but could not return the shoes b/c we moved (if you have fit issues, you have to return shoes to the same store they were purchased at).

Normally shoes should last 2-3 months. Its very important that your child's shoes are measured when STANDING up, and that both feet our measured. DD's shoe size varies by 1/2 inch.

smilequeen
09-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Hmmm...I've been wondering the same thing. Simon took his first steps about 2 weeks ago (to celebrate his 9 month birthday apparently :)), but he's still only taking 3-4 steps tops. I'm hoping he takes it slow, it's kind of a bittersweet milestone, huh? It's exciting, but at the same time somehow signaling that he's not such a baby anymore...

ykc
09-08-2005, 09:14 PM
First steps--how exciting!!

My kids took about 3-4 weeks to go from first steps to confident walker. They didn't crawl too much either.

Re shoes: my kids learned to walk in the summer/fall. I don't think I bought them shoes until the weather compelled me to, because kids learn to walk more easily without shoes. It helps when their toes can grip the ground.

Have fun running after your son from now on. :)

mamato1
09-08-2005, 09:38 PM
My story is just like Eileen's. DS started walking at 14 months and in about 1 day was a good walker and was a great walker in about 3 days.

I think you can probably get a hint with Alex based on how quickly he mastered other skills. My kiddo has traditionally been on the late side with milestones but does them very well, very quickly once he is ready. On the other hand, I have friends who's kids were much earlier at their milestones, but took a much longer time mastering each skill.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040116/0/1/3/-6/.png

C99
09-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Two months. Nate started taking tentative steps before his first birthday, but he wasn't a confident walker until March. I didn't buy him rubber-soled shoes until he wanted to walk outside.

Momof3Labs
09-09-2005, 07:38 AM
First steps to walking across the room, for us, took a month.

kedss
09-09-2005, 08:17 AM
my DS took a bit longer to walk(18 months), but when he did it took a week before he was outracing me around the house. He still wears leather soled shoes, as he has really thick feet and its hard to find shoes, and he does like to grip the floor with his toes.

Kate
mom to Christopher 12-09-03

KBecks
09-09-2005, 01:54 PM
It's wonderful and sad at the same time. I'm grieving more over his growing out of the babyish clothes this fall though. So sad!

brittone2
09-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Generally it is anywhere from a week to a month in my experience. It depends on the child's personality, skill level, and many other factors.

You probably already know this, but just in case...barefoot is the best thing for walking. If you need "shoes" for excursions to places like the mall or grocery store, soft soled shoes are the next best. Firmer soles aren't needed until they are walking well and need protection outside (although DS walks in Robeez fine at 18 months when he's outside).

22tango
09-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Reading everyone's comments above, it sounds like every baby is different. Karenna walked 3 steps the first day, 10 the next and 30+ the next, and never looked back! So be prepared, it could be a month or a week or just days -- Good Luck!! :D

KBecks
09-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks, I have Robeez for Alek, and want to hold off on the Stride Rite fitting for as long as possible (until he insists on walking outside). Winter is coming though, and I wonder if he'll let us carry him in the outdoors (to/from car, etc) from Jan-March.

I was hoping to get by with Robeez until spring / summer, but will wait and see what happens.

Momof3Labs
09-10-2005, 01:15 PM
>Winter is coming though, and I wonder if
>he'll let us carry him in the outdoors (to/from car, etc) from
>Jan-March.

I'm sure that he will - he's still pretty young! We didn't get much rebellion on this issue until toddlerhood (2+ years).

luvbeinmama
09-10-2005, 11:04 PM
It really varies. DS took one week. DD took 2-3 months. Just get him some Robeez (or Bobux or whatever you prefer) as they can crawl or walk without hindrance in them and they are extremely comfy while offering a decent amount of protection. Don't get him regular shoes with velcro as it sticks to carpet when they crawl (at least it stuck to my berber).