PDA

View Full Version : Hair and makeup help needed ASAP

mandye
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
DH has a black tie awards ceremony tomorrow night (Saturday) and I am at a loss on how to do my hair and how to put on eyeshadow.

Some general info:
-My hair is strait (with no body), and falls just below my chin.
-The sides of my hair aren't really long enough to pull back, though I think I probably could with some styling aid help.
-I have chandelier earrings so I'd like for them to be visible, if possible.
-I am pretty incompetent when it comes to hair so easy would be nice.
-I have a flat iron.
-Before now, my idea of makeup was some mascara and lip gloss and I just don't think that is going to cut it.
-I have an eyeshadow trio (cream, brown, plum) but I have no idea how to apply them.

Also, I just bought a new mascara, but it has a comb applicator instead of the brush I'm used to. I tried it out this morning and it clumped majorly. Anyone know any tricks to applying mascara with a comb?

TIA

Amanda
mandy

niccig
09-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Mandy,
I'm a paint by numbers person so beautiful natural makeup has always been a reach. I recently bought Almay's eyemakeup (shadow, liner, mascara) that is matched to your eye colour. It made shopping simple, I just bought the stuff for brown eyes and the packaging tells you where to apply each colour. And the results are much prettier than my normal boring brown smudge on the eye lid.
Don't know if this helps. I'm sure the other mamas have great advice.

Nicci

egfmba
09-09-2005, 05:35 PM
For the makeup, MAC's website has some 'looks' that will at least give you an idea where the eyeshadow goes. For instance, medium goes on the lid, light goes just under the eyebrow, and dark goes in the crease. You may consider checking several makeup manufacturers' websites (Lancome, Elizabeth Arden, Clinique) and see if any of those offer examples or tips as well.

As for mascara, even if it clumps, you can take a eyelash brush (the best ones for separating lashes are the metal ones, and you should be able to find these at your local Walgreens or Walmart). If you're in a pinch, a safety pin or needle will do; just be careful and know that this method takes a bit longer (though not a deal breaker). Use a light hand when applying; remember, you can always go back and put on another light coat.

As for your hair, if it't not likely to stay up, just flip it out at the bottoms with the flat iron (curl it up when you reach the end) and away from your face (kinda Farrah Fawcett, but not that extreme). That way, the hair pulls away from your ears and you can show off the earrings.

If you have time, go to your local beauty supply store and pick up a few velcro curlers. Toss those in your hair at the top and point your blow dryer there so the hair heats up and cools down. Leave them in as long as you can and you'll have some great lift.

Don't forget to put product in your hair (mousse or gel or whatever you use). Mousse is great at the roots; it keeps your hair up. And hairspray, of course!

Have fun tomorrow, and you'll look beautiful no matter what!

eva

bostonsmama
09-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Okay, I'm no makeup diva, but with that trio, I'd do cream under the eyebrow on brow bone as highlighter, brown on lid, and puple either as a V on outer corner, in crease of eyelid, or along the lash line as a soft eyeliner. Purples are really hard, though, to not look like you just got bruised.

What's the color of your dress?

Maybe I can help you on some options. I just got a really pretty compact quad from Clinique w/ greys and purples, which looks great w/ my violet Clinique eyeliner, but I try to where them on my purple-wearing days.

Short hair is soooo hard to style fancy. Can you sweep up half of it with jeweled bobby pins on one side? I'll search for some pictures to show you what I mean.
This style can be achieved by setting your hair on rollers (w/ mouse) and then going under the dryer, spraying to set, and then re-rolling the hair into a tucked curl after you take the rod out and secure it with hair pins and spraying w/ heavy hold http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29272.jpg

This one is also just taking sections of your hair and bobby-pinning them to your head in a messy chic sort of way. You don't need to have the amount of hair for a french twist or pony tail. Blow dry w/ mouse that volumizes roots (Redken's Guts is great). Part hair on side, sweep sections back and pin. Then sweep bottom up and pin. Jeweled bobby pins in the back could be really pretty. Spray w/ heavy hold.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29273.jpg
This one also isn't so bad, as the sheer act of twistin will help with all those shorter loose pieces as you twist sections back towards the rear top of your head.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29274.jpg

You also have the option of making it out to the mall and a place like Claire's or The Icing will have pony or "updo" attachment pieces you can clip onto a pony tail to make it look like you spent hours curling and fussing with your hair. Just match the shade of your hair to the "weave."

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

aliceinwonderland
09-09-2005, 06:29 PM
no advice on hair, but for makeup for such an event I would use a dark shade, like gray or almost black and create smoky eye look. Then, when you do that (dramatic eyes) you cannot go crazy on the lips too, so just some lipgloss is perfect.

Laura Mercier has an almost black eyeshadow and I love Mac's lip glass (that is not a typo) tubes :)

Have fun!

saschalicks
09-09-2005, 07:06 PM
For your hair I would recommend a really tight bun with lots 'o bobby pins and lots of hair spray. It will give you that exotic look.

Make-up: Close your eye and put the brown on all over your lid until right above the brow bone. Then take the purple and put it in a crease extending the whole outer edge down to the lashes. If you do it too dark that's OK put brown on over it. Once you've gotten the desired darkness put light color under eyebrows slightly overlapping color to make it look like purple brown fading. For dramatic affect put a little bit of purple along the lower lash about 1/2 way from outside corner in. Depending on skin color wear a nice plum colored gloss to tie it all together. If you are light skinned put a pink color on the apples of your cheeks only. It will give you a rosy look w/out looking overdone. Darker skin should use more bronzy colors.

Mascara: wipe the mascara wand almost completely on a tissue BEFORE application. Then apply it to eyelashes. When you first pull it out it has way too much mascara on it so wiping will help reduce clumps. If it still clumps get an eyelash comb and comb through the eyelashes after they are dry. When doing this do two coats on top and one on bottom.

Hope that all helps.

ETA: to make more sense

ykc
09-09-2005, 08:53 PM
For your hair: consider a pretty headband, though it depends on what else you're wearing. Wide fabric headbands are easy and can be quite chic, or a beaded one, perhaps. Most department stores and discount stores will have some variety to choose from; or check out Claire's or its equivalent. You can flip the ends of your hair out to give it more of a sassy style. Or slick your hair back under the headband and spray it in place, so it's not falling into your face all of the time and looks more polished.

For makeup: if you have time, the easiest thing is probably to go to the department store makeup counter in the afternoon (make sure to wear a shirt that buttons!). Though beware of the really heavy-handed makeup consultant! I'd look for someone who has makeup you admire, or at least don't object to. You can ask for a make-over if there is time and availability, or just ask them to show you how to do your eyes. Of course, you may feel obligated to buy some product from them. But it might be worth not having to do your make-up yourself!

FWIW, I'm usually a powder, lip gloss and a little blush kinda girl. My black-tie makeup consists of foundation, real lipstick (maybe even with liner and more than one coat!), blush, eyeliner, mascara and a sweep of blush on the eyelids. So take my advice with a grain of salt!

Hey, have fun! Enjoy your night of glamour!

HannaAddict
09-10-2005, 12:11 AM
Are you near a Nordstrom's? Seriously. I would call MAC, Chanel, or one of the other counters at Nordstrom or whatever big store is in your area and see if they can do your makeup. Or you could try a salon. But with late notice, Nordstrom might be the way to go. Can you get in to see a stylist for an updo or to have your hair blow dried professionally? For something black tie it might be nice to splurge (if you can afford it) and get pampered a bit before you head to the ceremony.

Kimberly