PDA

View Full Version : speaking of cars... what does the lounge have to say about a VW Jetta?

abigailsmom
09-12-2005, 07:54 PM
I am trying to get out of my Jeep Grand Cherokee and into a smallish, gas-price-friendly car. I am liking what I see in the Jetta, but wanted to check with everyone here to see what real life experiences were...

please let me know... the good, the bad and the ugly. or other recomendations in that size/price range.

thanks in advance,
Robyn
Mama to my precious preschoolin' Pooper

Mermanaid
09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
I've just gone through your exact situation. I was driving an 02 Grand Cherokee and we bought an 05 and a half Jetta.

I drove it for 2 months before turning it over to my dh. At first, I loved it. So many extra features -- 6 cd changer, the automatic windshield wipers, leather seats, sunroof -- you name it. It has almost everything on it (I may be missing those heated seats when it gets cold here!). But, and that's a big but, I had some issues with it:

1. Gas mileage. It didn't get as great of gas mileage as I thought it would. Granted, it only has about a 14 gal tank vs. the Jeep's 22 gal. It's great on the highway, but I spend most of my car time in bumper to bumper traffic. We were averaging about 28 mpg, where as in the Jeep I'm getting about 21 - 22 mpg. Not worth it to me because of #2.

2. I'm short and I need to see. There were many blind spots for a short person in the Jetta. Not to mention that everytime I turned around to look out the rear window all I could see was Mallory's RA. In the Jeep I can see everywhere -- and the MA is never in the way. One thing I do like better about the Jetta is the trunk. So much better to be able to close things away unlike in the Jeep.

3. Mechanical/cosmetic issues. After about a month of owning it, something hit the back of the drivers side mirror and the paint bubbled. And, the driver seatbelt would lock up on us. Not to mention the fact that dh kept finding nuts/bolts in the garage. We took it in for service and they fixed everything without a problem. But, it just seemed to me that if I was going to spend that much for a vehicle, it shouldn't have those types of problems already.

All in all, I do like the Jetta. I just prefer to sit up high and see the road better in the Jeep. If we had to do it over again, we would. Good luck!

Momof3Labs
09-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Does it require premium fuel like the Passat? If so, factor that into gas mileage - you may get more miles per gallon, but that gallon will cost you more!

Wife_and_mommy
09-12-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure if it's still the case but as recently as a couple of years ago the back seats were *tiny*. I'm short and was crunched. I don't consider it to be very carseat friendly.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png

ykc
09-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Biggest con: VWs, and Jettas in particular, have spotty reliability records, especially with the electrical system.

But, my husband got a 2002 5-speed Jetta to replace his 1990 Nissan Sentra, and he loves it. Of course, we're comparing a brand-new car with a nearly 13yo tin can. He hasn't had any trouble with it so far. We both like driving it; he was driving it 180 miles/day, three times a week for a while, and he still likes it. It gets okay mileage but not great (low 20s per gallon)--the diesel is better, I believe. The interior is nice, and I think it looks peppy from the outside. My daughter calls it the Apple Jetta b/c my husband is a huge Mac fan and has an apple sticker in one window.

It is not a big car, at all, but it's definitely adequate. It fits my nearly 6-foot husband pretty well, so long as I don't move anything. He has trouble getting in after I've been driving, if I forget to move the seat back. The backseat fits two car seats easily and actually has enough room for me to squeeze in between the two, in dire situations, but I wouldn't recommend it for more than a few minutes!

ETA: it does not require premium gas.

HTH.

ykc
09-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Biggest con: VWs, and Jettas in particular, have spotty reliability records, especially with the electrical system.

But, my husband got a 2002 5-speed Jetta to replace his 1990 Nissan Sentra, and he loves it. Of course, we're comparing a brand-new car with a nearly 13yo tin can. He hasn't had any trouble with it so far. We both like driving it; he was driving it 180 miles/day, three times a week for a while, and he still likes it. It gets okay mileage but not great (low 20s per gallon)--the diesel is better, I believe. The interior is nice, and I think it looks peppy from the outside. My daughter calls it the Apple Jetta b/c my husband is a huge Mac fan and has an apple sticker in one window.

It is not a big car, at all, but it's definitely adequate. It fits my nearly 6-foot husband pretty well, so long as I don't move anything. He has trouble getting in after I've been driving, if I forget to move the seat back. The backseat fits two car seats easily and actually has enough room for me to squeeze in between the two, in dire situations, but I wouldn't recommend it for more than a few minutes!

ETA: it does not require premium gas.

HTH.

annex
09-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I love my Jetta, haven't had any problems seeing out of it. I got interested in them since they seemed to come with more luxury/safety items standard than a Corolla or a Civic. Parts/repairs do seem to run higher for VWs, if that's an issue. I think it has much better visibility than my DH's similarly sized Vibe. With only one kid, I can't really justify (and don't want) anything bigger. If you want better gas mileage though, have you thought about a hybrid like the Prius? It's about the same size, and comes highly recommended by Consumer Reports.

Anne

annex
09-12-2005, 09:39 PM
I love my Jetta, haven't had any problems seeing out of it. I got interested in them since they seemed to come with more luxury/safety items standard than a Corolla or a Civic. Parts/repairs do seem to run higher for VWs, if that's an issue. I think it has much better visibility than my DH's similarly sized Vibe. With only one kid, I can't really justify (and don't want) anything bigger. If you want better gas mileage though, have you thought about a hybrid like the Prius? It's about the same size, and comes highly recommended by Consumer Reports.

Anne

abigailsmom
09-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Here is the thing with me and this car...

I will not be having any more children anytime soon :( so size is not an issue except where the trunk is concerned and I do love the trunk. The Jeep was bought to be a family vehicle and I thought back then that I would already be baking a second bun. :(

I live in a smallish town where there is never any bumper-to-bumper traffic and I drive less than 20 miles a day. (That is probably a high estimate.) Most of my driving comes from heading from S. GA to Atlanta every other weekend to take my dd to her dad's apartment. :( (~250 miles each way... 1000 miles on the interstate a month)

I am concerned about the elictrical issues. I have heard about that, but I thought that with the redesign.... the kinks were worked out. I think that is just wishful thinking.

I really do not know what else is out there that fits my afore mentioned critera plus is kinda cute or sporty. (Ah, vanity)

I know that someone metioned a hybrid, but I am very wary right now. My dad always said to wait until a car or type of car is proven before buying. I also fear not having repair options other than the dealers. I have been royally ripped off a few to many times by the dealer. Being a single, young-ish looking female has only gotten me heartaches when it comes to car stuff. I may be completely off-base about the newness/repair stuff so please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you for all of the responses so far and please any advise is welcome.

TIA,
Robyn
Mama to a precious preschoolin' Pooper

spencersmommy
09-12-2005, 10:52 PM
My DH has a 97 Jetta and he loves it!!! He hasn't upgraded b/c it runs great and no payments. :-) It has a smaller backseat, but fits one car seat fine. Now we have 2 kids, but we haven't had them both in the Jetta yet. It is a bit cramped, but I only notice it on longer trips ( not to mention I am used to my Tahoe). It's fine for a around the town car and won't be high maintanence! I am sure the newer ones are even better. Good luck!

pb&j
09-12-2005, 10:52 PM
I have a 2001, which I love!

It takes regular fuel, and I get about 30 highway, 23ish city/mixed. I do check my tire pressure regularly. There is a TDI (diesel) version that gets almost 50 mpg - I know some die-hard commuters who love theirs. The backseat is incredibly small - definitely try out your carseat before you buy, though I hear the new Jettas are slightly roomier.

When I bought it (new, in 2001), I was looking at the Jetta and the Civic. I went with the Jetta mostly for safety reasons - side impact and curtain airbags were standard, as was ABS, which weren't even available on the Civic at the time. Also, the Jetta had heated seats available which weren't available on the Civic. The Jetta had height adjustable front seats, which I think were also not available on the Civic at the time - I'm only 5'2", so this was very important to me. A PP mentioned blind spots, but I haven't noticed any glaring ones - there are a lot more in my mom's Lexus SUV, even though it is high up. As for repairs, yes those German cars can be pricey. My advice is to find a shop that isn't a dealer that works on foreign cars. Much better service and prices.

Overall, I've been really satisfied with my Jetta. It was my single gal car - when I bought it, I thought I'd be single forever, then about a month later DH and I started dating. So, we're thinking about trading it in for something a little roomier. But I will sorely miss my Jetta, and hope that it goes to a good home.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

HGraceMom
09-13-2005, 06:47 AM
I had a 99 Jetta for almost 5 years and never once had it in for unscheduled service, save a few recalls. I sold it to my brother who proceeded to total it in the last snowfall of last winter :(

I loved the car - it was perfect for me... until I had to cart DD around in a rear facing infant seat. In order to fit the seat in the back, it had to go behind the passenger seat, which had to be moved "ALL" the way forward. So far, that no one could sit in the front seat. Still, it was fine when just the two of us.

DH drove the Jetta the last year we had it before selling to my brother (he usually walks to work, so I took his bigger car out on the freeway with DD in tow, and left it for him to run around town in.)

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

emilyf
09-13-2005, 06:49 AM
I have a 2000 Jetta and have been very happy with it. The backseat is small, but ds's carseat fits fine, and I don't have a lot of reason to put adults back there so it's mostly just him. The trunk is great-roomy, the car is peppy and gets good mileage (I use regular gas) and is a dream to park (I liive in the city). I had a few small service issues in the beginning that the dealer took care of but haven't had a problem in a long time (knock on wood) and have a nice local mechanic who handles regular maintenance for me now. I have considered getting a larger car since I have another on the way, but am in no hurry to do so. Oh and I can see fine out of it, but I'm taller-5'8".
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

ykc
09-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I forgot that the front passenger seat was moved up nearly all the way to fit the rear-facing carseats. I fit in the front seat then, but it wouldn't be comfortable for a long trip. Two front-facing carseats fit fine! And the trunk is great--much better than in my bigger Legacy. Also, no big blind spots that I've noticed.

wagner36
09-13-2005, 10:37 AM
We've had 2 Jettas, loved them both. Both were Jetta wagons. We love the wagon - perfect for the dog!

We've had no problems at all - been very happy.

SummerBaby
09-13-2005, 11:10 AM
I've had a 1998 Jetta and a 2001 Jetta. The 1998 Jetta was great- no problems at all. The 2001 Jetta, however, was a piece of _____. I had tons of electrical problems, the paint chipped for no reason, and coating from the interior door handles chipped too. Despite these problems, I loved it. It has a very sporty feel and I think you get a lot of car for the money. We traded in our 2001 Jetta for a Passat. I love that car too. And because VW has had so many problems in the past few years, you can get a great deal on one.

That being said, my Mom has a Toyota Camry, about the same price range and it gets great gas mileage and is a very reliable car.

HTH!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04