PDA

View Full Version : Article on way too many used clothes being donated for hurricane relief

HannaAddict
09-24-2005, 01:39 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20050923/ts_usatoday/citiesburstingatseamswithexcessusedclothes

I've read about this before, probably on the Red Cross site. Organizations really need cash in these big disaster situations and so many people just give junk or garbage, not useable clothing. Our co-op preschool wants to do a clothing drive for Katrina and I think I'll send this along to them too.

Kimberly

kijip
09-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Maybe your co-op can do a rummage sale with the clothes and donated items (like baby gear) in Seattle and then donate the $$? The co-op rummage sales I have seen make a lot of money, are super popular and since people know that the items will be put up for sale they avoid donating junk. A great way for you to stock up on playclothes for O too...I would even bring Toby by!

People donating junk is my biggest pet peeve. Really, if I wouldn't use it why would someone else? So I THROW it away at my own expense!

ellies mom
09-24-2005, 04:13 PM
That is a really good idea. I read somewhere that after the tsunami, they were receiving boxes of ski boots, heels, and winter parkas. Yes, it is very generous to donate, but a little common sense goes a long ways. Which is part of why I like your idea. You can donate something you can afford and still end up giving what they need.

luvbeinmama
09-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Wow! I can't imagine donating heels or unusable clothing! What are people thinking? I did donate some clothing, but I think polo shirts in good condition are fairly useable, lol! I had no idea the amount being sent was unmanageable. Hmmmm, must rethink donating clothing in disaster areas next time.

What a problem... an overabundance of clothing. I guess it goes to show how rich our country is.