PDA

View Full Version : ot: moving and have a question about internet service

bcky2
09-26-2005, 11:56 AM
right now i have service thru my cable company. i pay about $50 a month for my internet service alone, not to mention my cable bill! the house we are moving to has satalite so we are doing dish network thru sbc but dsl is not avaliable in our new house as of now. i was thinking that i am not on the computer for much, i dont do work or anything, just socialize :) so maybe dial up wouldnt be too bad and it would save us some money. does anyone here have any company that they like or any company that they could recommend. does anyone here know a reason why this would be a bad choice? help!!!!

Wife_and_mommy
09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
We actually got rid of cable TV to cut down in expenses a few years ago. The DSL **was not allowed to go**. Dial up is so so so slow esp. once you've had dsl. I considered it my entertainment expense for the month because we both spend so much time online--for work and pleasure depending on who's using it.

What about looking at one of the less expensive options for quick online service. We have digital phone(I think) lines that are only about 35/month. We've had our email addresses for a long time but are debating switching.

I would definitely exhaust all other options before going dial-up if you use your computer alot.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png

hjdong
09-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Our new house is going to be like this. On the one hand, I'm dreading it. On the other hand, I waste time on the computer (like now) and the library has a fast connection so maybe this is lemonade.

bcky2
09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
netzero has has "high speed" dial up with a quick connect feature that if you sign up for a year it is only 9.95 a month. if it is slow, maybe it will be an incentive to stay off the computer and not to spend as much money as i do alot of on line buying :o

if you dont want to commit to a year i think it is 14.95, still not bad.....

nfowife
09-26-2005, 01:10 PM
The house we just built/moved into is like this...no cable, so no cable modem, and no DSL available! We asked around the neighborhood (because it's pretty upscale and we thought, surely all these people don't dial up...) and it turns out there is a wi-fi type of hub nearby that you can get service with the guy who owns it. So we have that now, and pay about $50 a month. It's not quite as fast as DSL was but it's very close, way better than dial up! But we are addicted to the internet here, we'd rather give up TV than the www....
Ask your neighbors and see what they say!

bostonsmama
09-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Well, I'm certainly not one to ask about downgrading b/c I'm perpetually online (billpay, emailing international friends, transacting business from DMV to customer service inquiries, these boards and 4 others, 10 google searches a day from medical ailments to word definitions & phone numbers). Heck, my life pretty much comes to a stand-still when I can't get online. For me, cable internet is a time-saver. No wait period to "sign on," I get to use my telephone at the same time as my internet, which is invaluable when I'm troubleshooting online websites or PC software, or sending out emails while I'm on the phone w/ the person who's giving the address. I don't know...I just get so frustrated with dial-up that I hardly ever go on it (at other's houses). Dial-up turns a 2-minute bill pay session into 10-minutes of frustration and waiting with possible disconnects. I have Cox, which Consumer Reports rated as either #1 or 2...but the top of the heap. LOVE IT!!!

Can you bundle your services to save $$, we bundle telephone, internet and digital telephone....so I pay $39 for internet, $39 for digital cable TV, and $29 for dig. phone w/ caller ID, voicemail, call waiting, call block, etc. If you do some internet research of the major providers: Comcast, Cox, Turner, Qwest, Bell South, Verizon, SBT, Roadrunner, and all, maybe you can find as good a deal? Just my 2 cents.

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

tiapam
09-26-2005, 01:30 PM
I used to use:

http://ripco.com/

and was very happy with them. You could always try the dial up and ditch it if you don't like it. There don't seem to be any startup or termination fees, so you won't really be out any money if you try it.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

missiethegal
09-26-2005, 02:05 PM
One thing I would recommend would be to upload all your pics online, because dial-up times will be atrocious (i believe)! We are considering switching back to dial-up service to save some $$ so I am in the process of creating on online photo library so if we do switch, I won't have to worry about that.

In our podunk town, we only have 1 option for internet-- and dial-up is $20/month so it is easier to justify DSL!! That was definitely a surprise disappointment when we moved here. Any national internet service doesn't have local numbers so they are all out too.

But I bet your area will get DSL soon if you are near/in a larger city so it might not be that long of a wait anyway, and you will appreciate it once again if you do get it!!

bcky2
09-26-2005, 02:43 PM
where we are moving to is considered an independent area and no major companies will service us. verizon can get us phone and dsl so now we just have to contact dish network for our tv. verizon offered direct tv but we would be unable to get any local channels :( and to top it all off, basically anything that is more then a stones throw away from our new home is considered long distance so we needed the top of the line plan. you would think that we are moving into the middle of nowhere! thank you ladies for your advice, i am happy that i dont have to go with dial up :)

kozachka
09-26-2005, 11:31 PM
Check out if Yahoo DSL is available in your area. They've been promoting $14.99/month lately but you have to sign an annual contract. I am still on an old contract so pay $30/mos. As soon as your contract expires you can call them and ask to switch you to the new rate. In general, I believe DSL is cheaper than cable internet but you have to have phone service from the same provider to qualify for the lowest rate.