PDA

View Full Version : Resetting a wedding ring

Globetrotter
09-26-2005, 02:12 PM
I've been postponing this for years, but I'm ready to reset my wedding ring, which no longer fits me! I have a traditional raised setting, which doesn't work for me anymore, now that I have kids!

I would like something "flatter" and set in platinum. Any ideas? websites?

Has anyone done this? I'm not sure what it'll cost.

Kris

missiethegal
09-26-2005, 02:25 PM
I think you've got a great idea!! I remember getting my ring and wondering why in the world they had the stone out so far. Yes its pretty and all but not very practical!! I know I've dealt with the guilt of scratching my new dear babes-- so let me know what you come up with!

Sorry I can't be of more help in this area.

ellies mom
09-27-2005, 10:58 AM
We had my engagment ring done in a half bezel setting. It is pretty flat. We had it done that way so that I could wear gloves over it at work. It works pretty good, but I wished we had used white gold instead of Platinum. DH won't let me change it though. :(

JBaxter
09-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Check some of your local jewlery stores they usually have resizing events a couple times a year. They bring tons of unset stones and rings but usually they will do custom work too. We had to have my wedding band made to fit the engagement ring so thats what we did.

LD92599
09-27-2005, 11:13 AM
We just did this in the Spring for my birthday. I choose another setting and they used my existing diamond. It was actually alot more reasonable than i expected it to be. We went to a local jeweler in town.

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

Globetrotter
09-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the input.

My diamond is 3/4 carat. What's the technical term for a "flat" setting? I'll need to do a lot of groundwork online, since it'll be hard for me to get to the jewelry stores right away. I also find it easier to look online!

Kris

bostonsmama
09-27-2005, 12:46 PM
When 3 of the prongs on my mom's engagement ring bent, I convinced her to get the setting replaced with a platinum head. The difference was only $70 between the white gold and the platinum, but it is infinitely stronger. My aunt is a jeweler and she does this for almost all large stones that need to be secured.

As far as style, that's so personal choice. I like my ring because it has channel set diamond around the center stone, but the channel set is cathedral style, so it meets the center stone half way and the stone only sticks out ~ 1/4 inch. Not bad! Doesn't get caught on much at all. Check my post on the dream ring thread to see a pic of the first one.
Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

drsweetie
09-28-2005, 07:12 AM
>What's the technical term for a
>"flat" setting?

I think you're talking about a channel setting. I am planning to get my engagement ring reset for the very same reasons mentioned here. Haven't started the process though.

Ellen