PDA

View Full Version : Jera/Natalie UPDATE #4

SASM
09-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Even better news today ~ Natalie is down to 30% o2 with sats in the upper 90's!!!!! Her nurses were all optimistic, although the drs all have their reservations. They think that the improvements are due to the steroids and that Natalie will go downhill soon. Nice that they are being so honest but Jera is getting VERY tired of this emotional roller coaster ~ soooo cautiously excited for the improvements but having the drs negativity is hard. Natalie's lung xrays are not showing an improvement either. :(

On a cute little note, Jera saw Natalie open her eyes for the first time last night!!! And...we all know that she is a fighter but she has proven to be quite the feisty little girl :) She shocks everyone with her strength ~ she needs a lot more sedation than normal for a baby of this size b/c she keeps pulling on/out the tubing, etc!! :)

It has been a little rough with the kids now being home. Carter has been a little out of control but hopefully routine will solve that "little" problem. Carter has named one of Maddie's new baby dolls "Baby Natalie". He wears a hospital bracelet like Mommy and Daddy for the doll. Although he hasn't been able to see Natalie (they are HOPING that the hospital will allow him in there), J thinks that he is absorbing QUITE a bit. For the time being, the childcare issue is do-able, as they have a close friend who will be able to help with the kids. J is also hoping to get the kids more exposed to her church group. DH is in that hospital for the next week so while J is home he'll at least be able to get over there in a hurry, if need be.

I told Jera that a lot of you were interested in chipping in towards a babysitting service. She was soooooooo blown away by the thought and generosity but doesn't think that the kids would do very well with a stranger. HOWEVER, I thought that maybe if people were interested in contributing, I could look into a personal chef. J is sooooo exhausted ~ mentally, emotionally, physically ~ and she is just soooooo dreading the burden of cooking meals before she heads to the hospital. Is this something that people would be interested in contributing to? PLEASE let me know...

I just wanted you all to know that Jera has been able to check the boards and finds sooo much encouragement through your words, prayers, and support. She has been crying tears of joy with every post that she reads. :) THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! As always, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE continue to keep little Natalie, Jera, and their family in your thoughts and prayers!!!

Hugs,

Marisa6826
09-27-2005, 12:01 AM
Sharyn-

I'd totally be up for donating. What about a Super Suppers/Dream Dinners type of thing?

I can't remember where Jera lives, but they are worth checking out. I know we ended up doing Dream Dinners for Norah and she said the food was amazing.

If you get enough interest, you might want to start a Yahoo Group.

-m

HannaAddict
09-27-2005, 12:04 AM
I'm very happy to hear that Natalie is still doing well. It has to be so hard wondering if she can sustain it without the steroids though. I just hope that her little lungs can develop. Please know Natalie is in our thoughts. I would be interested in helping out $$ too.

Kimberly

MarisaSF
09-27-2005, 12:05 AM
I would definitely donate for meals if there's some service available like Marisa suggested.

Jera and Natalie, we are pulling for you! Stay well!
xoxo

SASM
09-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestion!! I have been Googling all evening and emailing any possible connection to her town, asking for personal chef recommendations (not optimistic there). And...one of the franchises is a reasonable drive from their home!!!! I think we might have a winner if we have enough interest. :)

THANK YOU!!!

barbarhow
09-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Sharyn-thank you for the update-Little Natalie sounds pretty amazing! Thoughts and prayers are with all of them.
I would love to contribute. Keep us posted.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

bcky2
09-27-2005, 08:09 AM
im glad to hear some good news and i will keep praying that it only gets better. as for the meals i would love to contribute for that, anything that she thinks will help i am all for. just let us know what to do :)

heatherlynn
09-27-2005, 08:53 AM
Sharyn,

Thanks for the update. They are continually in my thoughts. I think there is a place in Pgh called Wheel Deliver, where you can order food from restaurants and have it delivered. Maybe a GC to a place like that. I am definately up for donating wherever in order to help her out.

BTW - I bought a phone card per your suggestion, but then she was discharged so I figured she wouldn't need it anymore. Let me know if I should still send it.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

ribbit1019
09-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Absolutely, let me know what I can do. She's only 2 hours from me, so I can always prepare and deliver frozen food to her. I'm extremely accustomed to the drive since I have family that lives very close to the PA border. Plus my sister's boyfriend grew up in in the Pittsburgh suburbs, so we can easily get around the area.

If not then, I know there is a Culinary Institute in Pittsburgh that may hire out, if you haven't check that angle yet.

What about cleaning?

Jera continues to be in my prayers, Natalie is such a little fighter!

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

mudder17
09-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Wow, what a little fighter! :) I will continue to pray that her lungs develop and she does better every day. I would also be interested in contributing...

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif , 19 months, hoping for 2 years

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

kelly ann
09-27-2005, 09:10 AM
I think the meals would be a valuable service...I would second the dream dinners or something like it. Many of the companies can even prepare the 12 meals themselves for an extra charge. BTW, I would be interested in contributing.

muskiesusan
09-27-2005, 09:12 AM
I would be more than happy to contribute to anything you decide to do.

I am keeping Jera, Natalie and family in my prayers.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

bostonsmama
09-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Wow. Keep fighting Nattie! I've done a lot of reading about preterm delivery and the NICU. Apparently girls are very tanacious and fight a lot harder to thrive. Also, don't get down by the doctors' words. It's very common for them to be the pessimist and the nurses to be the optimists. They just don't want to make any empty promises. As my grandfather (who is a doctor) always said, "Doctors can't help but see the worst case scenario b/c that's what they're used to seeing. Anything that happens that's better than the anticipated result is just icing on the cake."

Rest easy Jera. Hopefully this will all be a distant memory when your DD grows up and gets ready for her first prom. My prayers are with you and your family.

To the organizer of this thread, I'd be happy to contribute. Hopefully you can find her a sympathetic chef or meal supply service that can lighten the load for her.

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

kensjen
09-27-2005, 09:28 AM
It is so good to hear happy news! Praying for that little fighter to stay strong!! :)

Let us know what you decide about the food!

aguinn
09-27-2005, 09:44 AM
Sharyn, I just PM'ed you.

Jera & family, keep up the hope and the strength! She's a fighter, and you're all in my thoughts!

;)amy
momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b3.lilypie.com/Eygrm4/.png[/img][/url]
http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

Roleysmom
09-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Jera, we are keeping you and your family in our thoughts. Natalie, keep fighting sweetheart, there are so many here who are pulling for you. I love the image of her being so fiesty that she's pulling at her tubes. Jera, the whole experience from trying to evaluate what each medical person is saying and advocating for Natalie to helping your children understand what is going on, has to be excruciatingly difficult, to say the least. I'm sending you and your DH strength and support.

Sharyn, I pmed you about helping.

Paula -- mom to Roley Julia, January '02

JulieL
09-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Well I am so pleased for them that Natalie is doing better. I'll keep praying her lungs will mature. It must have been wonderful to see her open her little eyes! Keep strong Natalie and Jera !!!

brittone2
09-27-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the update. I'll continue to hold Natalie and Jera in my thoughts and I remain hopeful that she'll continue to improve :)

murpheyblue
09-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Way to go Natalie! Jera, Natalie and her family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Let me know how to contribute for a chef or whatever.

trumansmom
09-27-2005, 12:47 PM
I would love to be able to contribute for Jera! It would be such a relief to be able to do SOMETHING.

Lots of prayers still coming her way!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

new_mommy25
09-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Jera, big, big hugs to you and your precious family. I'm pulling for you.

And to the OP, I would love to contribute in any way I can.

cvharris
09-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Another recommendation for Dream Dinners. We have gone a few times locally and the meals are pretty good. I must say that some of the menu items aren't super easy to cook - they usually aren't the throw in the oven and you're done variety. More like assembled ingredients that are put together but need to be cooked - sometimes in several steps. Still much easier than shopping/prepping/cooking but just wanted to make sure you know that.

I would be more than happy to donate for the cause and you might want to check with Dream Dinners (or the other place, not sure what is close to Jera) and see what they would be willing to donate for us if we placed a big order. I'm sure they would help out in some way.

Thanks for the update on Jera and Natalie. I'm glad to hear that Natalie is a fighter and we will continue to pray for her.

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03)
It's a BOY! Baby brother due 12/18/05

mharling
09-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Tell Jera that we're cautiously excited right along with her! Sounds like great news.

Lynne (calebsmama) was able to get some Dream Dinners DONATED for Norah. This location wasn't open yet, so I don't know if that played into it, but it's definitely worth a shot.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

mommy_someday
09-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I hope the good news keeps on comin'! Lots of good thoughts to Jera, Natalie and family.

I would be interested in contributing to whatever you decide to do for them. Please let us know!

C99
09-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Sharyn,

Thanks for the update. So happy that Natalie is still fighting! Would love to help out as well. Please let me know where I can send PayPal!

jbowman
09-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I am glad to hear the good news! And I'm happy to donate! Let me know!

jk3
09-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the update. I would be happy to donate. Please keep me posted!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

mamalou
09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the update. What a rollercoaster. Let us know how we can best help. Meals are the best!

tarahsolazy
09-27-2005, 07:45 PM
Well, as a neonatologist who has cared for over a hundred babies in similar situations to little Natalie, I would hesitate to encourage Jera to not listen to her doctors.

Respectfully speaking, I understand your wishes to support Jera and Natalie in this time, but your remarks don't seem to come from true personal experience with this type of situation.

Parents of critically ill babies need to understand the odds their babies are facing, and we doctors aren't always "used to seeing the worst case scenario". We see all the scenarios, and use those years of experience to inform our counseling of each new family with a tiny child.

I sincerely hope Natalie beats the odds, gets better and goes to the prom, as you suggest, Larissa.

But it is the parents who listen and understand all that their baby's caregivers say that can truly advocate for their children and make informed decisions.

God's grace on little Natalie and Jera

alkagift
09-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I can't imagine being in a job where you see babies fight every day. More power to you, Tarah. I agree, we have to be careful how we phrase things here, especially to our most fragile members.

Hang in there Jera, we are praying for you and Natalie.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

alkagift
09-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I can't imagine being in a job where you see babies fight every day. More power to you, Tarah. I agree, we have to be careful how we phrase things here, especially to our most fragile members.

Hang in there Jera, we are praying for you and Natalie.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Tori_s mom
09-28-2005, 05:47 AM
Go Miss Natalie! I hope that things continue to go well. Still praying for you, baby girl.

Tasha

amp
09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
I continue to pray for Natalie, Jera and her family. What a family of fighters!

And I would be interested in contributing to food for Jera's family. If you decide to start a yahoo group, please start a new thread for us to see. Thanks!