PDA

View Full Version : How much time do you spend playing with your kids each day?

jadamom
09-29-2005, 08:35 AM
DD is always asking me to play with her. Between making breakfast, lunch, and dinner, getting them dressed, eating, doing the dishes, doing laundry, cleaning up, driving to preschool and other classes, running errands, going shopping, computer time, TV time, naptime, bathtime, and bedtime, there seems to be little time left over for just playing together. DD spends most of her time playing on her own. Just wondering, how much time do you spend actively playing with your kids?

katerinasmom
09-29-2005, 08:44 AM
I work full time. So during the workweek I probably only get to spend about 1/2 hour a day actually playing with DD. I do try to devote a couple of hours a day on the weekends to playing with her. It is usually spread out in 15 minute increments over the course of the day. No matter how much time I actually spend it never feels enough.

brigmaman
09-29-2005, 08:54 AM
I didn't participate in the poll because each day varies widely. Brig seems happiest when one of us is playing with him, so I try to accomodate him if he asks. I know in a few short years he won't even want to be seen with his mom, so I'm taking advantage while I can!

cmdunn1972
09-29-2005, 08:56 AM
DS is so active right now, and I'm a SAHM. What else am I going to do? ;)

redhookmom
09-29-2005, 08:57 AM
I play with my SAHDaughter about 3 hours a day. I play with my son (who goes to school) about 1 1/2 hours. I included reading time. No matter what we are outside for about an hour every afternnoon.

barbarhow
09-29-2005, 09:28 AM
I said 3 hours which is what it is on the days that I am home with im. I work every other day and on the days we are home together and the weekends I try to give him little blocks of time throughout the day. It is so hard, though. On the days that I don't give him that much time I feel guilty. I have had many discussions sith friends about this topic. He is learning how to play alone now which has been a huge help. He will sit with his playdough for an hour making waffles and berries, etc. This recent change has been really helpful.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

psophia17
09-29-2005, 09:38 AM
I didn't vote, because I have no idea.

I try and make everything I do with DS some kind of play - well, except for naptime and bedtime, that is.

When he gets up in the morning, we get dressed in a playful way, with me being silly while I try to put his shirt over my head and him laughing maniacally. Same thing goes for the rest of the day - even my cooking and cleaning turns into playtime, with DS helping me as best he can. Even to the degree that he's put one potato peel at a time into the garbage. I don't think he knows I'm setting him up to do chores at a young age ;)

But I also don't have a lot of real work to do in the house, since it's MIL's and my list of things to do is small...we'll see how it goes after we move.

JulieL
09-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I didn't vote either cause it really does vary. And my son would most the time rather play around you than with you. He does do pretend play that involves us, or we'll play hungry hungry hippos, we do read at least one book every day as well. But our son, he'd rather just pull you around and make you sit where he wants to play. When I was not on bedrest we would go to the park or out several times a week (play dates).

Judegirl
09-29-2005, 10:58 AM
On the four days a week that I have her (not working) i try to spend all day playing. I let the house completely fall apart and take care of everything when she's asleep.

On the days when dh has her, I come home to a clean house because dh can't enjoy her with a chaotic house - I think he probably would have voted 2 hours a day.

I do what Petra does, though - if stuff can't wait, I turn it into a game. Since we started packing, we've been playing "Let's see how many things we can throw into the garbage!" or I have her run all over the house to grab specific things for me to box up. I count that as playing. :)

Jude

kath68
09-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I voted an hour, but it is hard to say, and depends on how you define "play" (spoken like a lawyer, right? :) )

I usually play about 15 minutes in the am before work, and at least 1/2 an hour after work. But there is lots of running around and goofiness associated with bathtime, mealtime and other activities. Plus there is some interraction while watching his shows. Then DH plays with him, and there is reading before bed, too.

On weekends there is more play time, of course, but we are usually out and about, with family, etc -- so *my* playtime is not necessarily that much more. It depends on the day.

Short answer: not enough. But here's my confession: I get bored with playing with him for long stretches, so it is probably good at this point that I am left wanting more during the week.

wagner36
09-29-2005, 01:55 PM
>I voted an hour, but it is hard to say, and depends on how
>you define "play" (spoken like a lawyer, right? :) )

LOL, that was my first thought too!

ribbit1019
09-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Really depends A LOT on if it is the weekend or not. I chose one hour, Mon-Fri we spend about an hour playing and then we go directly into the bedtime routine.

On the weekends, it far exceeds an hour a day, but varies greatly on if we have plans for the day or not.

Life does get away from us very easily.

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png