PDA

View Full Version : OT: Home Theater Systems

jbowman
09-30-2005, 08:51 AM
Does anyone have a home theater system? A system that you would recommend?

DH and I are considering a simple Bose system, mostly so I can listen to NPR in our house, LOL, but also for its small size, DVD, sound quality, and ease of use. TIA!

lizamann
09-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Ours is a crazy hodgepodge of vintage tubes and newer stuff that is so NOT easy, so a unified system definitely sounds appealing!

I just wanted to recommend that you give a good listen to the Bose to see if you actually like the sound. I don't like it personally, and I am so not an audiophile or anything (audiophiles don't like Bose, either, according to dh.) Not to mention that it's overpriced. I really like Henry Kloss and Boston Acoustic stuff, but I don't know if they offer a simple system. Good luck!

AngelaS
09-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Ours is a mix of Harmon Kardon and Technics and LG and Sony. It's a PITA to use and rarely turn that tv on unless dh is home to do it! I've told him if he dies, I'm selling it, 'cause it frustrates me to no end.

I will admit tho...watching a movie on it is better than in a theater!

zuzu
09-30-2005, 11:43 AM
We got one of the Bose 3-2-1 systems last year, and love it. (It may be last year's model of this one: http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=321gsx_dvd_index) It's for our small family room, so we didn't want to have anything too large, and best of all, it's very easy to use. We still kept our 6 CD Harmon Kardon player, but use the Bose most of the time. We mounted the speakers and the sound is great. It's also very easy to hook up to DH's iPod, so that's another plus. Bose has outlet stores, so you may be able to save a bit if you have access to one.

ETA: Not sure how large your room is, but I'm not sure how well it would work in a larger space - friends of ours have one in their great room and the sound gets a bit garbled when loud. Luckily though, we haven't had that problem with ours.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

DebbieJ
09-30-2005, 11:50 AM
My DH is a sound editor. He hates Bose.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

jbowman
09-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Melissa,

Thank you for your response

This is exactly what we are thinking of buying (the newer generation, a Series II). I am glad to hear that someone has/likes it! We've gotten a good deal at a local appliance store (poor salesman quoted us the wrong, uh, lower price, and they said that they'd honor that price since they accidentally quoted us that!).

Honestly I want something easy--so I'll actually use it. We have a 5-disc DVD player that DH and I despise--and it is a royal pain to get the thing to work (when our babysitter watches Ellie in the evening, we have to load everything for her--easier than explaining it, LOL)--and forget about listening to music in our house! I could go on and on...

Oh, and I have an iPod, so that's great to hear!

jbowman
09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Beth. I am with you on the Kloss/BA, and of course DH and I would love a Mark Levinson system ;)! LOL, my DH keeps saying the same thing that your DH does about audiophiles and Bose! That said, I have liked the sound of the Bose (and my sister and BIL have a Bose system which I've admired for awhile), so I think it is worth a try! Fortunately I think we got a good deal on a Bose system, so we'll see.

jbowman
09-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Wow, Angela, that is exactly how I feel about our current system! I'm like, "do I need a Ph.D. to work this thing?"..then I realize that I do have one and still can't use it, LOL!

jbowman
09-30-2005, 12:01 PM
LOL, Deb. My DH warned me about posting a question about Bose b/c he said that many audiophiles hate it (see my response to Beth)! And your DH is an expert, so I appreciate your response.

DebbieJ
09-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Yes, many audiophiles despise Bose. But I don't know if the end result is worth it!

We have a Toshiba TV with Dish Network, a Sony DVD player, a Yahama 5-disc CD player, a Denon receiver, and Paradigm speakers. DH chose each of them individually and put them together to create his own system.

While it is great quality, it's a big PITA! One remote to change channels, another remote for volume, another for the CD player, another for the DVD player. You have to change the receiver setting everytime to you want to do something different (TV vs DVD vs CD vs radio). Then you also have the change the tv input using yet another remote to switch between TV and DVD. It is quite difficult for others to understand.

There are days when I wish we just got a system out of the box!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

ellies mom
09-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Our problem with our old Bose system (not a home theater set-up), was that when the powered subwoofer went out, we could not just replace it. We would have to buy an entire new system. So, when the time came, DH assembled all the pieces on his own. We have a Denon receiver and Paradigm speakers. He actually has it set up so it is pretty easy to use. Although he did spend $100 on a remote that you can program to do everything automatically depending on wheather you are watching TV, a DVD, or listening to music. Of course, he's never programed it. We keep the receiver set up for the DVD player so when I want to listen to music, I just throw in a CD and it's all set.

I have to say that I feel a little bad for him, because after all the work he did getting it all together. He rarely gets to enjoy it because DD's room is right over the living room, and it wakes her up. I must say though when he does actually get to "show it off", it sounds great.