PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to ship clothing?

s_gosney
09-30-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm new to this selling clothes business, but I have a bunch of things listed right now on swap, and I'm wondering what the most cost effective way to ship it is. Just playing around with the online calculators of USPS, UPS, and fedex, it seems like USPS is the best, but I thought I'd ask the other more experienced sellers for input. TIA!

starrynight
09-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Depends, if it's a very large lot of clothing and in a box sometimes ups or fedex is cheaper. If it's a few small items or a single item USPS is the cheapest, just get DC on it.

searchdog
09-30-2005, 10:32 AM
I always ship USPS. I did end up buying a bunch of polymailers from a coop to ship stuff in since they are very durable but also light weight. If I am shipping priority I use the envelopes the post office provides, but if it is light enough to go first class I use a polymailer to save the buyer some shipping cost. Does that make sense?

FYI: If you want polymailers you can get them from a coop (will take a little while to get) or I have also seen them on ebay, I haven't really compared prices though. I couldn't find polymailers locally that is why I had to order them.

AngelaS
09-30-2005, 10:54 AM
USPS is the best way to go, unless it's over three lbs. and then I've heard that FedEx is cheaper. I put all my stuff in poly mailers (bought from coriejen on eBay), use the link thru PayPal shipping to print my postage, tape the label on and stick it in my mailbox!

If you're mailing something heavy, parcel post is cheaper than Priority. They also have flat rate boxes for $7.70, no matter how heavy they are. Things UNDER 13 oz can go first class mail which is far cheaper than Priority. :D