PDA

View Full Version : Travel suggestions from the MidAtlantic?

SASM
10-01-2005, 07:31 AM
We have a 5-day weekend around Columbus Day and are now trying to plan a last-minute getaway. We were planning on going to New Orleans but, unfortunately, that is out of the question. :( So...now were are trying to find someplace where the weather would be mild and the flight would be around 2 hours or less. We were thinking WDW BUT had second thoughts when the lines came into play ~ 2yo Ian wouldn't understand the concept of 45-minute (or longer) lines. :( So...any ideas?? We haven't been on a REAL vacation in a while so any suggestions would be great!!

Just to give you an idea...Places that we've considered and VETO'D d/t DISTANCE: Las Vegas, Puerto Rico (hurricane factor, as well), Montreal/Quebec City, Europe (DH has expired passport and kids do not have any), West Coast.

TIA!!

jamsmu
10-01-2005, 08:30 AM
what about somewhere else in Fla? Or Hilton Head Island?

Momof3Labs
10-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Chicago? ;-) It's wonderful here in October, and under a 2 hr flight!

jbowman
10-01-2005, 09:20 AM
My guess is the flight might be around 2 or so hours, but I LOVE San Antonio! So fun, so pretty, so much culture, and so much fantastic food! The weather would also be nice & warm.

Some friends of ours just stayed at the Hill Country Hyatt hotel/resort/spa and raved about it:

http://www.hillcountry.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

Close to Sea World, not far from downtown (and the Alamo), and has activities for kids. HTH!

kristenk
10-01-2005, 12:16 PM
I know that you and your Ellie have stayed in SA before. We'll be going down there in a few weeks and still haven't picked a hotel. Do you mind sharing which hotels you've stayed at and if you'd recommend them?

(Sorry for the partial hi-jack, but I think it's still relevant to the OP!)

jbowman
10-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Kristen,

We were in the area in March--we stayed in New Braunfels (since we were visiting SA, Austin, and the outlet malls in San Marcos) at a Comfort Inn or something like that, which I wouldn't recommend. My sister stayed in SA a week later and loved the hotel where she stayed. E-mail me/PM me and I'll find out what she recommends!

FWIW, we just walked around the River Walk, went out to eat, saw the Alamo, visited the McNay and walked around the gardens there (beautiful place to walk and take pictures--my avatar of Ellie was taken at the McNay :)). Here is the website:

http://www.mcnayart.org/

Lydia (babymama) knows a TON about SA, so she would be a great source for info. There is a nice zoo there, Sea World, etc.

SASM
10-01-2005, 10:37 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH, Ladies!! Didn't think of any of those places so I am off to research!! Any more ideas out there? :) I am actually starting to think that having someone watch the kids overnight and going into the city for one night might be an idea (nice hotel + grown-up restaurant = VERY NICE DATE!!) but it is not a "vacation vacation". :) Definitely cheaper, though! :)