PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Bringing my own lunch to a party

jamsmu
10-01-2005, 08:35 AM
DS2 may have dairy allergies, so I need to go off ALL dairy for a while. So we have a b-day party today at lunch time and I know they'll be serving pizza, cake and ice cream (this is going to be so hard for me-- a true test.)

Is it appropriate for me to BYO? And, if so, what should I bring? (can't just pack a sandwich because I can't eat bread -- though hoagies are okay, but I'm not about to run to the store this morning to get hoagie bread. Plus that's SO fattening, can't eat that for a month straight!) This is so hard for me because my usual lunch for the past few months has been half a turkey sandwich (DS ate the other half) and either yogurt or cottage cheese. I have no idea what to start eating for lunch!!!

Jenn98
10-01-2005, 08:54 AM
I think it's totally appropriate. It's not like you're bringing a different lunch because you don't like what they will be serving. I'd explain the situation briefly to the host, but then not worry about it. It's just like if you were diabetic or had a need for any other kind of restrictive diet.

JMHO
Jenn

Momof3Labs
10-01-2005, 09:11 AM
I'd probably eat before the party and then just pick at what is "safe" (I'm sure that they'll have fruit or veggies or something, or perhaps you can call this AM and offer to bring a veggie plate or fruit salad). Then you can explain your special diet without unpacking a lunchbox of your own food.

amp
10-01-2005, 10:33 AM
I think, like the previous posters noted, it's appropriate for you to either bring your own food or eat ahead of time and then graze on items you can eat. Wish I could help w/ the non-dairy ideas, but all that comes to mind at the moment is meat and veg and fruit, but I don't know how to make a reasonable lunch out of that w/o some thought first.

mamaharsh
10-01-2005, 12:05 PM
I think either taking your own food or eating beforehand and grazing is appropriate.

I was dairy free for almost three years because of Nate's allergies. I may be doing it again for this one, although I'm hoping not.

I ate a lot of pasta salads, regular salads, and soups for lunch. Soy yogurt isn't too bad, especially the soy yogurt drinks. Do you have issues with bread other than the dairy? There are completely dairy free breads out there. When I was nursing, that was a staple for me. I also found that I like things like chimichangas almost as much made without cheese.

PM me if you'd like to discuss it more.

jamsmu
10-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Sara, I just pm'd you. thanks!