PDA

View Full Version : When is the best time of year to go to Disney

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
10-01-2005, 09:04 PM
If school has no impact on your decision.
I am willing to yank Reichen out of school at anytime to go, so with that kind of thought when is the best time to go.

I feel like I have traveled big parts of the world and have never been to Disney, I so want to take the bugs!!!

LD92599
10-01-2005, 09:18 PM
We went several years ago the week before Memorial Day and it was fantastic!!!!! Hardly any lines for rides, etc.

I've also heard that between Thanksgiving and Christmas is usually pretty good.

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

jd11365
10-01-2005, 09:24 PM
September is actually a slow month for tourism because that is when kids go back to school, and many parents are less likely to pull their kids out right at the beginning of the year. We just did Busch Gardens, and while it was hot, it wasn't miserable. Maybe October? It's a little cooler...more like the 80s instead of the 90s, which is much more comfortable for doing the parks. I would NOT recommend going in the summer. It's BROILING hot and you won't enjoy yourself. I did Disney in July...stayed 3 loooong hours and bailed. I'd say June/July/August would be miserable heat wise. March weather is usually lovely, but it's busy here with Spring Break. January/February is our "winter" and yes, it gets cold in Florida. We reach the teens at some point during each winter, if anything just with the wind chill.

I'm thinking this post isn't much help. All I know is you MUST let me know when you come down!!!

tarabenet
10-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Ooooooooooooh!
Get the book "Unofficial Guide to WDW"! It is our bible when we get to go. And it has a chart showing average attendance through the year, so you can really see the peak and off-peak times!

Seriously, we went once when I had barely skimmed the book, and it was not neraly as good as later trips when I had really gone through it! It more than paid for itself in terms of the useful planning I was able to do, and the little tips and tricks are wonderful!

Benet

Lynnie
10-01-2005, 10:05 PM
I too have heard that the few weeks right after thanksgiving and just before Christmas are good - not crowded, but they have all of the holiday decorations up, and a special some kind of holiday party thing you can buy tickets for at night. A friend who has lived in FLA her whole life says that is when she always took her kids, and it was great.

I'm not sure if it'll be warm enough to hit the pools or water parks - some days are hot, some are not, but as wonderful as people say they are, to me Disney is about the magic kingdom, and the rest is just icing on the cake.

gr8danemom
10-01-2005, 10:06 PM
We've been going in the early part of February for the past 3 years since our first trip for our honeymoon. It's still value season so the prices are cheaper and the crowds aren't bad at all. However you do have to pack more because you can go swimming in the water parks one day and have to wear a coat the next.

HTH! And enjoy your trip! We're not going this year because I'm due Feb. 13th! Maybe next year for baby's first trip!

PS....I second the PP recommendation for the Unofficial Guide to WDW, not only does it talk about the best times to go it gives good reviews for restaurants, shows to see, things like that.

Patty

psophia17
10-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I went for the first time the last weekend of August, and there were NO LINES. None. Anywhere.

My best friend, who had been to Disneyworld about 20 times, and I went to celebrate 10 years of friendship, and decided that the long Labor Day weekend was the time to go. We arrived in Orlando on Thursday and flew out the following Tuesday. She said that she had never, in all her years of going to Disney, seen so few people, and was so amazed by it that we took pictures of all the ropes where the lines normally would be.

And that we chose to go that weekend also because the rates were so low for the off-season made it even better - more $ to spend on drinks in Epcot ;)

jesseandgrace
10-01-2005, 10:28 PM
It really is best to go when the crowds are down because the lines do get really long. September, October, and the first two weeks of december are great times. Basically a time when most kids are in school, particularly right when school starts, or as the pp said in between holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas, but not too close to either. You guys will have a great time!

lisa56308
10-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Our favorite time to go is the first or second week in December. The weather is nice (except that it was unusually rainy our last trip) and all the Christmas stuff is going on. Epcot has Christmas around the world, MGM has the Osborne lights and Magic Kingdom has Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Definitely check out the Unofficial Guide To WDW. We've been using it since the first edition came out.

ETA: It was a little cool for swimming. It might not be so bad during the day when it's sunny, but it was pretty chilly in the evening.

Lisa
Jacob 6/95
Tyler 10/03

icunurse
10-01-2005, 10:37 PM
We've gone twice during the first weeks of October and both times there were short wait times and the weather was great. I think that is also the start of their "off season", so prices are a little better, too.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

Tori_s mom
10-02-2005, 08:33 AM
We went the first week of March for our honeymoon. The weather was wonderful, and we didn't have long lines. Definitely check out the book PP recommended, and the travel channel also does a few specials about disney trip planning as well.

Tasha

MelissaTC
10-02-2005, 09:24 AM
The last two years we have gone around Labor Day. It was still hot but very empty. Patrick and I have also gone at the end of January. It was warm (compared to NC). I wore capris and sweaters in the morning & evening. We really enjoyed the weather. The parks were relatively empty and we pretty much walked on to almost all rides & attractions. We are actually planning a January/Feb trip for 2006. I am trying to talk Patrick into going on the Disney cruise again.

Momof3Labs
10-02-2005, 10:03 AM
We just got back, and while the crowds were very thin, it was WAY too hot for us to really enjoy it as much as we would have liked. We normally go in the first two weeks of December, and the crowds are also thin, but the weather is so much milder and the holiday decorations are wonderful!! But it is stressful to smoosh a vacation in between T'giving and Christmas, so we plan to take our next trip in early January (2007).

The rule of thumb is to avoid school holidays, including MLK Day, Presidents Day, Spring Break, etc., since the parks get quite crowded around those times. Another thing is to look at Disney's price schedule - the Value seasons are the slowest times, and also the cheapest times to go. October and November (up to T'giving) are no longer Value season because they have some special events going on that increase crowds a bit. May is supposed to be great, too, from a crowd perspective, but pretty hot also.

I also like the Unofficial Guide for planning a trip.

marcywench
10-02-2005, 12:13 PM
I like going in early March. The weather is pleasant, lines are short (between Feb winter vacation in the north, but you have to get a jump on Spring Break times for the south.)

We have used www.tourguidemike.com for planning our trips. He has updated info on things like the Extra Magic Hours for those who stay on Disney property vs. how to maximize your time if you're not on Disney property. We never wait more than a little while in line using his tips and always have a GREAT time.

We went at Halloween last year for Epcot Food and Wine fest. I thought it was too warm. I've become entirely too intolerant to the heat.

We're taking the wee one with my in laws in the first week of March this next year. I can't wait!

kimbe
10-02-2005, 08:04 PM
We went the week after Easter and the place was dead. I think that most kids have the week before Easter off, so everyone goes then. We also went the third week of October and it was a little busier, but not many lines at all. Check out www.disboards.com for help planning! Anytime would be great to go though. We are planning to go again next October.

My DH is a Disney World FANATIC so if you want any tips on getting deals or fun stuff to do there, please don't hesitate to email me. (DH reads the disboards everynight!)

The last time we went, DH found a great "hidden things at Disney" article. It was like a treasure hunt. It was a list of all the teeney tiny things to search for while you are there. (Like mice in the rafters in the Castle and hidden Mickeys and other fun stuff.) I will ask him where he found it and post back. It was A LOT of fun to do.

ETA: Here is that website....so many cool things to do! http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disscav.htm

Tondi G
10-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Go to these websites

www.mouseplanet.com

www.mousesavers.com

both will have info on thier peak season/times and also any info on good deals!!!!! Have a fabulous time.... we love our Disneyland annual passes and can't wait to take our boys out to WDW one day!!!!

~Tondi