PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay for time when interviewing potential babysitter?

ErinMC
10-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi all, I am interviewing a potential babysitter this afternoon. She is a college student, and is the babysitter for a friend of mine who recommends her highly. I really liked her when we talked on the phone, and unless she really doesn't click with DS, I will probably use her.

This won't be a regular babysitter, just the occasional Saturday night/few hours in an afternoon thing.

My question: Should I pay her for her time today? She lives 15 minutes away, and will probably be here for an half hour or so. Going rate is $10 around here.

Thanks! We usually use MIL, and even though I babysat a lot in high school/college, I can't for the life of me remember what I would have expected in this situation.

Erin

Mom to Chase
Feb. 2004

jd11365
10-03-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't know about babysitting, but I've never been paid for any interview I've been on.

aliceinwonderland
10-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Yea, I have never been paid for any interviews I've ever been on, for babysitting or otherwise.

Expenses only, and that only for second, follow-up interviews in cities far far away :)

shishamo
10-03-2005, 12:39 PM
I always do. $5 is not that much and I tend to pay a bit extra in general so that I have someone when I need them.

kaylinsmommy2
10-03-2005, 12:39 PM
I've interviewed many college student babysitters and never paid them for the interview. Don't worry about it at all. :)
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

HannaAddict
10-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I've never heard of paying for the time for an interview. If you want to do a trial run while you are home and have her over for an extended period of time, then I might pay (for example, playing with your child to see how they interact). But for a half hour interview, I would not pay her. As Eri said, even when flying across country for professional interviews I've never been paid for my time, only expenses. Hope you like her. Maybe if you do like her and you want to be on her "best clients" list right away, you could give her a Starbucks card or something with the "your hired" speech. :)

Kimberly

ErinMC
10-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I agree, I've never been paid for a job interview either, so I guess that's the way to go! :-) I guess I was just panicking at the last minute. But I feel better now. Thanks!

Erin

Mom to Chase
Feb. 2004