PDA

View Full Version : How do I permanently erase info in User Profiles?

KrisM
10-03-2005, 01:07 PM
A few months ago, I deleted my last name from my user profile. It looks gone. However, if I Google, Kris Lastname, I still get that link. My cookies are deleted, my history is deleted, my temp internet files are deleted. I just tried it on my husband's computer, which I never use, and can find it, so it's real. Any idea how to make it "really" gone?

kristenk
10-03-2005, 01:31 PM
I think that it really is erased from your User Profile, but Google is pulling up an old version. Actually, now that I think about it, for that to happen, it seems like Google would show the page in the search results (and in the archived page), but if you clicked on the page, then your last name *wouldn't* be there. I don't suppose that's what's happening, is it? I don't think I'm any help, but hopefully so more internet-literate people will be along any second! :)

Saartje
10-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Most likely, Google has that page cached. If you want to PM me your last name (since you "know" me), I'll give it a try and see what I can figure out, though I suspect the only thing you'll be able to do is wait a while longer until Google's spiders update that page.

KrisM
10-03-2005, 05:32 PM
I'll do that (PM you). But, I think that since it came up on my husband's computer, it will on yours. Maybe sometime I did use his for something and just don't remember.

When I click on the Google link, it doesn't have my name on the page. But, I worry a bit about someone Googling me and ending up with a photo of Andrew, you know?

Saartje
10-03-2005, 06:00 PM
I just PMed you with some details before I read this. Right now, yes, anyone who knows your first and last name (and can spell them correctly) could run a Google search and come up with a photo of Andrew. Are you really that worried about someone who knows you having a photo of Andrew? If you are, you should probably remove his photo from your avatar for a few months, until that no longer comes up as a result when you run a Google search for your name.

And, my goodness! I can't believe I didn't see your good news until just now! Congratulations, Kris. :D

KrisM
10-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Not worried about someone who does actually know us, but I just worry about the weird folks out there who can get my name from a form I fill out or mail or whatever. Paranoid, I am sure!

Thanks for the congrats!