PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk hair...looking for a good leave in conditioner...

jerseygirl07067
10-07-2005, 04:26 PM
My hair is fried. I used to love my hair, but I think this latest pregnancy combined with highlighting my hair over the years, and occasional flat iron use has fried it.

These days I let it air dry, and always use a good shampoo and conditioner. I even use a protein treatment or deep condition once in a while. I wash it infrequently and if I flat iron, which is like once a month, I use a really good heat protectant. I've even tried clarifying it to get rid of the buildup. It is still a frizzy, disgusting mess.

Short of shaving it all off, I think I may go back to virgin hair. (At least I'll save the money on the highlights) In the meantime, I need a good leave in that will give it some shine and get rid of the frizz. It used to be that I could wash it, let it air dry, go to sleep, wake up, and alas, sexy bedhead look. Where have those days gone??

Yuck, I want my crowning glory back...

Marcy

MarisaSF
10-07-2005, 04:34 PM
I really like L'anza Urban Elements Daily Leave-in Conditioner. I get it in the big (liter?) bottles at beauty-supply shops. I can take or leave their other products, but I like the leave-in.
I used to use the Paul Mitchell leave-in, but found it too goopy.

I think my hair is all virgin now. It's so tempting to do fun stuff with it, but I like that it's so healthy these days.
Good luck!

jd11365
10-07-2005, 04:49 PM
I worked in a salon for 6 years and would recommend Matrix Conditioning Balm. The stylists would put that on, sit you under the drier and charge $20 bucks. You can do it yourself for the cost of the product. I would glob a bunch on, but a shower cap on and stick the hair drier on to heat it up at home. Worked just the same, imo.

HTH!

wagner36
10-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I can't tell you how much my recent switch to Kerastase products has completely changed the texture of my hair. My hair was also a frizzy disaster, and now it is so soft ans wonderful. They cost an absolute fortune, but are well worth it IMO. Even DH, who is a once-a-week-washer swears by them now - he has long hair (does locks of love every 6 months) and it looks so good all of the time now and it used to be a frizzy mess.

I use the shampoo, a light rinse-out conditioner, a leave-in conditioner and then a 1x a week deep conditioner.

Calmegja2
10-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Do you have curly hair naturally, or straight?

My best friend has wickedly curly hair and she swears by anything Ouidad.

I have straight hair, with a few waves in odd places, and I've tried many different things, but I usually end back up in the Sexy hair line, with their frizz control products.

jerseygirl07067
10-07-2005, 05:08 PM
It's naturally wavy. I've heard of Ouidad too, but didn't know if it works good on wavy vs. curly hair.

Calmegja2
10-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Hopefully someone here knows!

analisa
10-07-2005, 05:20 PM
I really like Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom. After showering, I just run a dab of it through my towel-blotted hair, and it stays soft, shiny, and frizz-free without being weighed down. It's $17 for a 4.2-oz bottle, but you only need to use a small amount, so the bottle lasts a long time. If you have a Kiehl's near you (also, they usually have counters at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus), you can go and ask for a small free sample packet to see how you like it.

ETA: I also have naturally wavy hair.

Rachels
10-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I recently discovered Fekkai's Glossing Cream at Sephora. It's great stuff. You use just a tiny bit before drying, and it makes your hair very smooth and sleek and shiny.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

icunurse
10-07-2005, 08:22 PM
This is going to sound weird, but try Infusium 23 (you know the commercail - the leave-in you'll believe in). It's lightweigth and every stylist I have talked to about leave-in's always say it's the best. I have very thin/fine hair and it doesn't make it too soft or flat, it's cheap, and it's available everywhere.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

aliceinwonderland
10-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Their shea shampoo and conditioner are pretty awesome (and yummy smelling) too. I don't buy them anymore as they are too $$ for me now, but I look back fondly :)

I have used Fekkai finishing creme too and love it. Now I use the Kiehl's.

JMarie
10-08-2005, 09:06 AM
I use the Redken Extreme line. I dyed my hair for the first time a couple of months ago and it was in severe shock and felt terrible. I use the Deep Fuel treatment once a month (I'm a once-maybe-twice-a-week hair washer), Anti-Snap leave-in conditioner, and Heat Treat for when I straighten my hair (I'm also a wavy/curly girl). My hair feels much, much better.

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

lisaE
10-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Me too! I love the Redken anti-snap. DH and I both use it daily and I also converted my mom to it. It's great!

Sarah1
10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Tara--

I use a Kerastase leave-in conditioner too (the one in the red tube). It is AMAZING. I could not live without it!

Toba
10-08-2005, 01:48 PM
I swear by Infusium 23 (extra moisturizing) for my butt length, curly hair.

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Jerseygirl, I just bought the Tourmaline T7 hairdryer at Sephora and it has made a bigger change in my hair than any conditioner I have ever tried. It cuts the drying time in half and I swear you look like you just did deep conditioning. I heard about it somewhere here on the forum and, boy, it does wonders for my fired hair. Also agree with the Kerastase recommendations.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

punk mama
10-08-2005, 11:04 PM
The Garnier Nutrisse Fructis "Sleek & Shine Weightless Anti-Frizz Smoothing Serum" (say that three times fast) rocks the casbah...I prefer to wait until my hair is completely dry before using it to avoid the wet look, but it works miracles either way. Good luck!

-Faith

jerseygirl07067
10-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will definitely give some of those a try!

Marcy