PDA

View Full Version : Sewing machine Qs *long*

kboyle
10-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Hi-

The Lounge gets more activity so I figured I'd post here and Crafts. I know most of you gals are anti-Singer machines, but I am interested in a Singer Quantum Futura CE-200. It seems to be a pretty good quality new Singer machine. The very few reviews I found on it were pretty positive, but I wanted to see if any of you sewing gals on here have any opinion of this particular sewing/embroidery machine.

I am pretty much only using this machine for blanket/burp cloth gifts. Maybe a craft show here or there, but nothing too elaborate. That is why I don't want to spend the big bucks for a Viking/Bernina/Janome. I looked at the Viking 300 and 400s today and as much as I liked them, I like that the Singer can be hooked up directly to my computer, but have not seen one IRL. With the Viking I would have to purchase a reader/writer? box and lots of different programs. I am only looking to embroider names and/or dates, that's it. And sew straight lines.

Sooo...if anyone has anymore info on this machine I would love to hear any input, or any input on other lower priced (under $1000) embroidery machines. I've also searched the Brother Disney embroidery machines, any info on that one?

Sorry so long & Thanks for any info,

Bethann31
10-09-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm not anti-Singer at all. I have a Singer XL-1000 that I still use a lot. I want one of those new Futura ones too, but it isn't happening right now. I've heard good things about them and bad things about them. I know several people who have the Disney machines and LOVE them. I admit being a bit jealous sometimes that they can get the Disney disks and they are not available to other model owners.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

muskiesusan
10-09-2005, 11:23 AM
dp

muskiesusan
10-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Let me first say that I don't know a lot about it, but Bernina has a new line of embriodery machines they are marketing with Marie Osmond (apparently this is a hobby of hers).

http://www.berninausa.com/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444186 8424&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302132476&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181831&bmUID=1128874501803

I think my sister said QVC has them for about $500.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

kboyle
10-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Susan-

Thanks, the Bernina looks really nice, and if it is $500 even better, I wonder if they sell it in stores, or if they only have it thru online dealers.

Beth-

So those people you know with the Disney are generally happy with it? No major problems so far? Did they purchase online, or in-store?

Hopefully anyone with more input can chime in!! PLEASE :)

mskitty
10-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Have you looked into used machines? Two of the ladies in my quilting group who've bought the $500+ machines ended up trading them in for a $1000+ machine within a year because the machines don't perform as well as they want them to. (They have also burnt motors out of the $200 new lightweight machines in 3-4 months.) I know a large regional quilt show buys new machines for their three day weekend here and then they are sold for a third to a half off in the affliated store afterward. You might want to check into something like that in your area.

One of my friends and my aunt both have a Brother embroidery machine. Both use it just for embroidery, preferring to use their basic older machines for straight stitching.

My aunt gave me her 1960s Viking Husqvarna machine when she bought her fancy machine. It works just fine for the quilting I do... and I'm to return it to her if I ever upgrade because the new machines just do not handle denim/leather like the old metal machines do. I've looked at machines.. and will stick with what I have now because the machines with the features I want are over $1200.

Good luck on your machine search and stock up on tear away stabilizer for your embroidery!

MsKitty

sarasmom
10-10-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi, I was the other person asking about sewing/embroidery machines on the crafts page. I was looking at the Viking Scandinavia 300. I did get a response on a sewing forum where I had also posted the same question. I heard from 1 person that had the machine and said she "loved" it. The only con she had was you can only embroider 4"x4". There is a longer hoop, but is really only good for long names. It is really hard to compare brands, since each store only usually carries one brand. Let me know if you get any more good info. It looks like we are looking for the same thing.
Carol
Mom to Stephen 7/1/95
Alyssa 4/15/97
Sara 9/2/03

kboyle
10-10-2005, 02:06 PM
I talked to a SA at our local sewing machine shop and he recommended the Brother pc6500. It has larger field (5x7) and it can do many things out of box. He's got one used for $700 that I'm taking a look at towards the end of the week. I'll post after I try it out!