PDA

View Full Version : baby cousin born 6 weeks early

darby24
10-09-2005, 01:06 AM
An early Thanksgiving (Canadian Thanksgiving that is!) surprise arrived tonight in the shape of a 5lbs-even baby boy!

My cousin who was due in mid November had a hard pregnancy, but still no one ever thought the baby would come this early!

Apparently both mom and baby are fine and that's roughly all the details I know. Since he was just born, we're not sure on how long he'll have to stay in hospital, staying until his due date has been mentioned though.

Anyone with experience with an early birth, any suggestions? I realize food once she's out, but anything different or things we could do that would be appreciated by the new mom would be nice to know. She never even had her shower - that will now have to be rescheduled!

jk3
10-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Congratulations! I doubt the baby will have to endure a long hospital stay if he is breathing on his own. My DS was 4 weeks early and weighed 5 pounds and we left the hospital in under 2 days. As long as he is breathing on his own, he can go home!

As for suggestions, I would treat your cousin and the baby thhe same way you would any other birth in the family. Definitely buy some cute preemie outfits since he'll be wearing them for many weeks!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

JulieL
10-09-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm so glad mama and son are doing well! Maybe you could some breastfeeding accessories as she might have been unprepared - Lanolin, pads, offer to pick up a bra. Oh and preemie outfits is a good sugestion as well, best places I've found are: Carters (Target and Wal-Mart), Gymboree, and Little Me - Macys.

daniele_ut
10-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Well, there are several reasons that he might have to stay, even if he is breathing on his own. DS had Respiratory Distress Syndrome that cleared up immediately following a dose of surfactant, but his early arrival left him pretty worn out and he just didn't have the energy to nurse, so it took 3 weeks for him to be gaining consistently enough to come home (he was 3.5 weeks early).

I've seen some really cute preemie clothes this season that might be a good gift. Logan was around 5lbs 10 oz when he came home and he swam in 0-3 month stuff!

Piglet
10-09-2005, 06:07 PM
No advice on premies, but I wanted to wish you a happy Thanksgiving and congratulations on your new cousin!

darby24
10-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Got to see the little bitty baby today. He's small, but not that small - if you understand what I mean! He looked healthy, opened his eyes and tried to look out his little isolate chamber through the window to all the gawking relatives. :-) He's still suppose to be there for roughly 4 weeks now.

Picked up an under 7lbs hat from babygap today. Thought it would be nice for mom to have something different and personal when she gets to hold him.

Thanks for your wishes!