PDA

View Full Version : endame beans: why did I buy them?

knaidel
10-10-2005, 07:40 PM
I picked up a bag of frozen endame beans (in the pod) yesterday.
How do you pronounce them?
How do you eat them?

juliasmom05
10-10-2005, 07:51 PM
I have never used the frozen ones, but with the fresh ones, I just steam then in the microwave with a little salt and just eat them directly from the pod. They just slip right out. They are actually very tasty.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/12/05

MarisaSF
10-10-2005, 07:53 PM
ed-ah-MA-may

my fave... prepare just as PP suggested. steamed and salted. yum. especially right before sushi.
mmmmmm..... I'm hungry!

mamalou
10-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Do you get the magazine Parenting? They had a picture of these beans in the most recent issue. I saw them and thought .... what the heck are those and why don't I know this.

spunkybaby
10-10-2005, 08:17 PM
You can boil some water with a little salt. Then pop the frozen edamame in the boiling water, and they'll be ready in about 5 minutes. Then drain the edamame and rinse in cool water to stop the cooking process. To eat, pop the shells open between your fingers so that the pods slip into your mouth. Or put the whole edamame in your mouth and use your teeth to get the pods out.

Hope that made sense!

Not-so-new mom to a spunky baby
March 2004

ykc
10-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Yum!!

In Chinese (and I assume in Japanese too, but maybe not), the name for soybeans is "hairy beans." Traditionally eaten boiled with some salt (and salt sprinkled on top too--I love salt). But microwaving is probably faster, easier and better.

And I agree with Marisa, best eaten before/with a large order of sushi! :)

You can also shell them and put them in salads and such. I think (???) that there may have been a recipe in Real Simple at one point.

caheinz
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Check the package before you cook them. We've been buying them at Trader Joe's, and the packages we've been getting are ready to eat. Just thaw, pop out of the shell, and eat.

For what it's worth, DS loves these things! (And they make the easiest and fastest veggie to go with anything ever!) (DH and I can eat 'em by the handful, too!)

C99
10-10-2005, 09:07 PM
I ask myself this question every time I buy a bag thinking that Nate would like them...

Sarah1
10-10-2005, 09:17 PM
I buy them already shelled. Much easier for me to prepare and for Audrey to eat. We all love them.

kaylinsmommy2
10-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Yum! I take frozen ones and put them in boiling water for 5 min, drain, rinse with cold water if I'm in a hurry, and sprinkle fresh ground pepper on it. Then I pop each bean out individually and eat them. This creates a pile of shells on the side of my plate. :)

DD LOVES edemame. She probably has for a long time. Shelled edemame is easier (and maybe cheaper, since 1 lb is the same cost as 1lb with the shells) becuase ou don't ahve to shell them, but, when I eat them myself, shelling htem is part of the fun. :) And now shelling them is part of the fun for DD, too! She likes me to sligtly open the pod and she pulls out the beans herself. Such a pro.

I think they make a great snack plain on their own, becuase they are high in protein, low in fat & calories. When I purchase the shelled edemame, I can just put them into my stir frys frozen. Other than that, I don't really cook with them or eat them any other ways.
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

wagner36
10-11-2005, 10:58 AM
When we buy the in-pod ones, we thaw them and then roast them in the oven on low heat with lots of salt and pepper.

We normally buy the already shelled kind, though. Charlie loves them!

bostonsmama
10-11-2005, 11:02 AM
DH and I can go through a whole bag in one sitting. We boil them in a pot on the stove (very briefly according to directions), then dip the whole bean in Yoshida's sweet soy sauce (it's like the kind for pot stickers at Costco) and pull the beans out with our teeth.

Love it!

Larissa
who is taking it easy during her 2ww

http://tt.lilypie.com/ZifKm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

lizamann
10-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Mmmmmm, one of my faves.

DD and DH won't eat them, though. Dd does like to play with them, though - sticks the pod in her mouth, shudders, and makes a huge "icky" face followed by spitting. I keep trying, though. Maybe someday she will actually eat a vegetable. Until then, they're ALL FOR ME mwhahahaha.

babymama
10-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I buy them frozen and shelled. So easy to cook up in the microwave. I just put them in a bowl fill with water until beans are covered and turn on the microwave. Usually takes no more than 2-3 minutes. Drain water. Slather w/ butter and serve to DS. He LOVES them!!! I love that he gets so much protein from them.

I pronounce them ed-a-MOM-mee.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

s7714
10-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I buy the shelled frozen ones too. Sooo much easier to make as I don't have time to shell beans! I either pop them in the microwave or cook them in the steamer. I love pairing them up with some plain couscous and salmon--yummy.

The non-shelled kind seem to have a nuttier flavor when cooked and shelled than the pre-shelled version. I like the Trader Joe's brand best of the non-shelled ones I've tried.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo