PDA

View Full Version : Side airbags and kids?

jd11365
10-11-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm considering the Honda CR-V. If I picked up a playmate, that would put another carseat right next to the side...and the side airbag. I thought I read that is not safe. What do you do if your car has side airbags?

Thanks!

daisymommy
10-11-2005, 07:41 PM
The research I did before we bought our minivan (with side CURTAIN airbags)--said that regular side airbags were not safe with children in the back seat, but that side-curtain airbags may become standard in most vehicles soon because they are so safe and reduce the number of deaths and injuries in passengers--including small children.

jd11365
10-11-2005, 07:55 PM
So this would be for a different kind of side airbag?
http://www.drgreene.com/21_711.html

Just makes me nervous, kwim? But all Hondas now are coming with standard side airbags.

Toba
10-11-2005, 10:04 PM
I think you might be mistaken ... we have a brand new Honda Odyssey and it has side CURTAIN airbags, not side airbags.

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

Toba
10-11-2005, 10:07 PM
I just looked up the CR-V and it has front side airbags, and side CURTAIN airbags in the front and rear (the same as the Odyssey). ;) I think you're good. :)

~Kimberly Anne~
*the light of my life*

jd11365
10-12-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks! Just thinking of 3 kiddos in the back, or even one on each side in carseats, and the side airbags bursting out at them...ack!

Is there something that specifically says they are safe?

Toba
10-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Just a really quick search found this: http://www.safercar.gov/airbags/pages/SABFAQs.htm

I know that when I did my research before buying my Odyssey, I found the same thing as the above poster did. Side airbags aren't a good thing for kids, but side curtain airbags have been found to be VERY safe (and reduces a lot of injuries/deaths) for passengers including children. I didn't find the exact article that I read earlier.

BTW, the article I posted above mentioned that a few cars even have a rollover senser that deploys the side curtain airbags to help prevent ejection from a vehicle ... both the Odyssey and CR-V (as well as almost all Hondas I believe) have this feature. ;)

~Kimberly Anne~
*the light of my life*

bostonsmama
10-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi Jamie, car nut here just chiming in to help you feel safe about your decision to be comfortable w/ that car. Side curtain air bags are so important and necessary that I can't imagine they aren't the next standard option in safety features for cars. To me, they're as important as seat belts. My DH is a former fire fighter and he has peeled a bunch of people off the pavement when they were flung out of cars, windshields and open windows with only lap belts on. Also, he has responded to a number of fatal side-impact crashes where monster SUV grills have broken through the windows of lower-lying sedans and wagons, causing life-threatening head trauma to rear-seat passengers. Side air bags (at their worst) could cause minor burns and maybe a little startling shock to the arms and head, but if that's the tradeoff for seeing them the next day vs NOT seeing them the next day...it's small potatoes to me. I just know that my DH was very adamant about our new car (a Toyota 4Runner) having the side curtain airbags...and i know that he can really appreciate its safety advantages in ways I cannot (b/c I haven't seen the neg effects). We have the rollover curtain to help keep us in the car if we God-forbid fall out of our seatbelts and the windows shatter and to protect us if a Mac truck comes barreling towards our side doors.

It was my understanding that ABC World News Tonight came out early last year saying side curtain airbags are the next safety wave of the future and that soon all cars would have them. That makes me rest easy, and I completely agree w/ all the PPs links and helpful hints.

Larissa
who is taking it easy during her 2ww

http://tt.lilypie.com/ZifKm4/.png (http://lilypie.com)

hellosmiletoday
10-12-2005, 02:17 PM
According to CR, stability control is even more important than curtain airbags. I wish I would have known about it when we got our car. Stability control is alot less expensive too!

HTH1

hellosmiletoday
10-12-2005, 02:18 PM
According to CR, stability control is even more important than curtain airbags. I wish I would have known about it when we got our car. Stability control is alot less expensive too!

HTH1

jd11365
10-12-2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks for that, I didn't realize what it was.

The CR-V seems to have that too... I guess it's safe. It's just so much smaller than my TANK of a minivan that I have to be sure of all these things, kwim? I thought the airbags were good until a friend questioned me about them hurting kids and I started researching. I knew I'd get to the bottom of it all here at BBB!

From Edmunds...
Safety:
All CR-Vs include antilock brakes, stability control and side airbags as standard equipment. The Honda CR-V earned five stars from the NHTSA for front and side impacts, the highest rating possible. In addition, the IIHS awarded a "Good" rating, also the highest possible, for the CR-V's performance in the 40-mph frontal offset crash test.

hellosmiletoday
10-12-2005, 07:11 PM
I didn't mean to give you the impression that a CRV was not stable. CR recommends the stability control for all cars...I have an online subscription and can try to find the article if you are interested. I think it may come standard now, but when we purchased our Camry in 2004, we did not even know about it....so we spent $600 for curtain air bags, when we really should have gotten stability control for $300. Ideally you would get both.

jd11365
10-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Oh no, I didn't get that impression at all! I didn't even know about it and just went to check for myself. I have CR too and will go look. Thanks so much! :)