PDA

View Full Version : How did you prep your DC for your first long separation?

luzagirl
10-12-2005, 02:33 PM
I have to be away from DD for 2-3 weeks in December, when she will be 15 months old, and I'm worried about how she will take the disruption in her routine. She will still have DH and SIL to take care of her, but I'm the one who usually gets up with her at night and watches her from 6 am to 1pm. And then there is the BF issue -- she has shown no signs of self weaning and I haven't pushed yet because she has a dairy sensitivity and I don't have access to good sources of calcium for her. Any BTDT suggestions on how to make this work?
Mom to Lina, 8-04

aliceinwonderland
10-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I was separated from my son this summer for a few weeks (not straight), and to be honest with you we did not do any preparation as I was/am not sure what I would do. I did end up weaning him earlier than I intended, at 14 months, for this reason, but, because I am a student-mama with hateful pumping conditions, I had had to supplement for a couple of months before that. So dropping our last two sessions, which we did slowly, was a non event. I missed it more (and re-lapsed after 3 days for one last nurse, LOL) than he did. I think I am still sad over the nursing being over, but that is my issue, not his, once he was weaned he never looked back.

My son spent all his summer going back and forth between his dad and I, and the only "prep" we did was to keep his routine, no matter with the flying, different beds, etc. We were also flexible, and allowed him to "relapse" on some things, as in, he sleeps with one of us now much more than he did as a tiny infant, but I am ok with that :)