PDA

View Full Version : Nuchal Translucency test?

LBW
10-14-2005, 07:34 AM
I need to decide within the next week or so if I want to have this test done, and I'm torn. On one hand, I really want to "see" this baby -- so having the ultrasound at 11-13 weeks instead of just waiting until 20 weeks is very tempting. I'm also a planner, so if there's something I need to be concerned about, I'd rather know now so that I can do whatever I can to give this baby this best chance. (On a side note, I just found out that a friend of a friend's 4 month old was diagnosed with a degenerative, and fatal, neurological condition. The only treatment options available had to be started in utero. So, I feel even more compelled to find out everything I can about my baby before he or she is born.)

On the other hand, I don't want to freak myself out with false results, and I really don't want to wind up doing more invasive tests like amnio or CVS.

Have any of you done the Nuchal Translucency test? Why or why not? What was your experience with the results.

Thanks in advance!

octmom
10-14-2005, 07:54 AM
I've done it with both pregnancies (DS and current) and I think it's great. It's non-invasive and the doctor measures a small pocket of fluid at the back of the baby's neck. There is a normal range and if the thickness of the fluid is beyond that, it is an indicator of a chromosonal problem. I understand that a newer addition to the n.t ultrasound is for the doctor to look for the presence of a nasal bone. Absence of a nasal bone at this time in the pregnancy is another indicator of a chromosonal problem. Based on your age and the results of the n.t ultrasound, your doc/ geentic counselor can give you the odds of having one of several chromonsonal abnormalities. I am pretty certain that they told me the combination of those two pieces of information are at least 85% accurate in predicting problems. If you opt for a blood draw to accompany the n.t ultrasound, they can predict with approx. 95% accuracy. I did not get the blood testing the first time, but I did do it this time for added peace of mind.

Things I like best about the n.t ultrasound:
- you can see your little one!
- the doctor/ technician can read the results right away (note that they must receive sepcialized training to perform this test)
- it's non-invasive

Good luck making your decision!

ETA: here's an interesting site: http://www.diagnosticultrasound.org.uk/nuchal_translucency.htm

ETA another: http://www.mtsinai.on.ca/pdmg/Tests/nuchal.htm

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://bd.lilypie.com/UB6Bm4/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

AdoptChina
10-14-2005, 08:03 AM
Im doing it this time. I feel its a pretty easy test to have done and not invasive at all. If the results are questionable I probably would still not have the amnio...Id only do that if the results looked bad. Im having a second u/s at 18-20 weeks and we can then check again to see how things look

jennifer_r
10-14-2005, 08:12 AM
I had the nuchal test done w/the last two of my pregnancies. I like it since it is non-invasive and MUCH more accurate than the quad or triple screen bloodwork done around 16 weeks. It only tests for two syndromes, however, Down's and chromosomal 17, 18, or 19 (can't remember which one, but I think it might be 19). I believe that w/Down's, it will detect 97% of the cases. There are much fewer false positives with this test too. Ofcourse, if someone gets a positive, the doctors will encourage them to get an amnio.

You probably wouldn't not be doing a CVS IF you got a positive because it is done very early on in the pregnancy, around the time of the nuchal, and it is also much more invasive. A CVS has a much higher risk of miscarriage than an amnio which is why most people do the amnio. People often choose to do the CVS if they want the test done early in the pregnancy.

If you want peace of mind that the baby doesn't have Down's or one of the chromosomal syndromes, I would do it. I would also say, if you were going to get the triple/quad screen bloodwork done, then definitely do this, since this is more accurate than those (by the way, I had one friend who did both and the nuchal came back negative, the bloodwork came back positive and she was worried for weeks until she got her amnio results back and they came back normal). It's a fun test too because you really get to see the whole baby on the screen at once and they are soooo active at that stage.

Good luck.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
And another DD arriving end of October!

juliasmom05
10-14-2005, 08:13 AM
I had the NT and the first trimester blood screening. I was 39 at the time and like you did not want any invasive tests for fear of a miscarriage. Although I am a worrier at heart, I did not hesitate to take the test. I think if I hadn't taken the test and knowing that I wasn't going to do amnio or CVS, I would have worried anyway during my entire pregnancy that something was wrong. I would rather have known something was wrong earlier rather than later and be as prepared as I could have been.

My combined results (NT measure, presence of nasal bone and blood tests) put me at a very low risk for both trisomy 21 and 18. So for me, the rest of my pregnancy was a little less stressful and I did not even have to consider later invasive tests. Also, it was amazing for us (especially DH) to see her.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/12/05

Kidrepair
10-14-2005, 09:10 AM
I had the NT test done at 11 weeks. It was wonderful seeing the baby for the 1st and only time. Not to scare you but we lost our baby at 17 weeks and the NT test was the only time I saw our baby moving on ultrasound. We still have the pictures. My husband now regrets not going because the one ultrasound he went to was to find out the sex and that was the one where there was no heartbeat. So I treasure my few pictures I have and the memory of that little guy moving around. I want to add as an afterthought that in no way was the NT test the cause of our loss, and I was very releived at that time to find out the chances were low for him to have any problems, we will probably never know what went wrong, just one of God's plans I guess.

trumansmom
10-14-2005, 09:10 AM
This was the only pre-natal screening test I did. Thankfully, DD was fine, but I liked the fact that if there was a problem, I would know. Also, the fact that it was non-invasive was a big plus.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

rrosen
10-14-2005, 10:38 AM
I just had my NT on Tuesday. I won't get the blood results until after the weekend, but the u/s was very comforting. I met with a genetic counselor before the test and I found that meeting very imformative and comforting as well.
Of course I am hoping for good results from the blood test but, so far the experience was a very positive one for me.

cbm
10-14-2005, 11:26 AM
I had it done. I never looked at it as giving me false results though. Based on the information I read and the answers I received from my doctor, I understood this test to give results in terms of probability, not definite positives or negatives. The way I understood it is that the test will tell a person whether she is more likely or less likely to have a child with a genetic disorder. There is still a chance of having a child with a genetic disorder regardless of whether the result is more likely or less likely. I received the result of the u/s the same day. I was given the measurement number which was within the range for no problems. Then, when the nurse called me with the results of the blood test, she gave them to me in probability format: 1 chance in number. My 1 chance in number indicated that I probably wouldn't have a baby with a genetic disorder. My choice was to be comfortable with the results. My doctor still offered the triple screening and an amnio. I declined both. I should add that my approach to pregnancy was to prepare myself for every eventuality. Yes, I considered the what ifs and how I would deal with them. I know I made the right decision and I would do it again if pregnant. Besides, I wanted to see my baby :-).
I hope this helps.

Claudia

DS 12/18/04

kath68
10-14-2005, 11:33 AM
I did it, despite the fact that it wasn't covered by insurance. I was worried about doing amnio for fear of m.c., so NT put my mind at ease A LOT. And a lot earlier. I didn't go to a genetic counselor, but DH and I did our own informal assessment of our families' genetic histories, and decidied that we were ok with forgoing the wide spectrum of genetic testing you get through amnio. Our biggest concerns were the conditions detected by the NT.

I was glad I did it the way that I did it. I am all about data, and having the data (esp. the extra ultrasound) was soooo worth it.

Ultimately, the question you have to ask yourself is: what am I going to do with the information -- good or bad -- when I get the results. Some women understandably decide that having the information won't change anything for them so they don't get the tests -- NT or amnio. Others need it for peace of mind or planning purposes. I guess you need to know what kind of "data" person you are to decide if it is worth it to you.

Good luck!

Edited for spelling

Sarah1
10-14-2005, 11:34 AM
My experience was the same as Marci's. It was great. I definitely recommend doing it. I was 34 when I had Oscar, by the way.

Sarah1
10-14-2005, 11:34 AM
My experience was the same as Marci's. It was great. I definitely recommend doing it. I was 34 when I had Oscar, by the way.

Sillygirl
10-14-2005, 12:11 PM
One thing that's important to know is that the test requires a fair amount of experience and technical "know-how" to be interpreted correctly. Ideally you want to go to the OB in town who's been doing this for years and makes this a specialty of his or her practice. It's reasonable to ask your doc about their length of experience, number of tests performed, and any special training they may have. Reading ultrasounds is a bit of an art.

octmom
10-14-2005, 12:18 PM
That's why I love my OB. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

pb&j
10-14-2005, 12:25 PM
I've done it with both pg's. The first pg, I had very, very bad results, and opted for an amnio. Though she was chromosomally normal, she had some very serious birth defects that were discovered later.

For the second baby, everything was great, and he's healthy and active, and growing like a weed! No need for amnio this time.

I'm a huge believer in being informed. This test is widely used in Europe and becoming more popular in the US, and is more accurate than the quad screen bloodwork alone. I wouldn't avoid it just because you're worried about false positive results. You don't HAVE to have an amnio, though FWIW, my amnio was a breeze (I had a very experienced doc).

I plan on doing it for any future pregnancies as well.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

KrisM
10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
I need to decide on this test, too. I'm generally against any invasive testing. An ultrasound is an invasive test, so I'm having a tough time deciding.

With DS, I had no screening tests done. I know what I worry about and I worry more about having a test come back with a possible something wrong than something actually being wrong. I don't think we'd do an amnio, so I feel like if I do the nt, and I get a screen positive, I'll just spend another 30 weeks worrying about it. If I skip it, I won't worry as much.

But, I'm 35 now, so my odds of a Down Syndrome baby are greater, so I am considering it.

If you're sure you won't get an amnio, you have to figure out what you'd do with a screen positive result. That's the tough part.

I wouldn't do the test just to "see" the baby. If you need that piece of mind, maybe your OB can give you an ultrasound without doing the actual testing.

I'm not sure I helped at all. I just wanted to let you know I'm deciding the same thing right now.

Sillygirl
10-14-2005, 12:36 PM
We all love your OB! ;)

pb&j
10-14-2005, 01:15 PM
I love your OB, too!

-Ry,

octmom
10-14-2005, 01:18 PM
:) Katie- are you a T patient too???

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

pb&j
10-14-2005, 01:21 PM
I disagree that an ultrasound is an invasive test. I'm pretty sure that the definition of invasive is that the body be entered in some way, through needle, tube, or incision. It is possible that there may be some health concerns associated with ultrasound, but that does not make it an invasive test.

-Ry,

octmom
10-14-2005, 01:28 PM
I wondered about that too, but I wasn't sure if some considered the sound waves of an ultrasound to be invasive. I added a couple of links about n.t screening to my post above and I noticed that one refers to invasive tests after the n.t screening, if someone wishes to pursue further testing.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

Sillygirl
10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Sure was! (Emphasizing WAS - there's nothing cooking now!)

octmom
10-14-2005, 01:46 PM
Just give it time. ;)

We were at Carter Mountain Orchard with some friends a couple of weeks ago and ran into Dr. Wills and his family. We ended up on the hayride together. I felt a little strange, knowing that he has seen so much of me and I have an appointment with him next week. T might have been more entertaining. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

cbm
10-14-2005, 01:47 PM
That's what I thought too.

Claudia

DS 12/18/04

newbelly2002
10-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Sigh, heavens I miss that man.

And do you know? I called him last week in a desperate effort to get some twin info. Not only did he take my call, spend a ton of time with me on the phone, give me the answers I wanted and needed to hear, but also encouraged me to call back. Now that is a doctor worth holding on to!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02
And 2 sweet peas in an April pod

amp
10-14-2005, 01:52 PM
We don't even have this available yet in our neck of the woods! But if we did, I'd seriously consider it, as it's much less invasive than, say, CVS or Amnio! All I could do was get a Level 2 u/s, which we did, and/or the quad screen and amnio, both of which we refused.

KrisM
10-14-2005, 01:56 PM
I guess I don't know the definition of invasive. Oops. What I meant was that it is not without potential negative side-effects to the baby. Many people believe they are completely without consequence.

The ultrasound heats the fluid and can cause cavitation. While these aren't hugely harmful, there are some concerns that multiple ultrasounds can contribute to low birth weight, left handedness in boys that occurs more than normal, speech and hearing problems. As I understand, these studies were mostly small, so are possibly less than accurate, but it still makes me think twice before agreeing to any ultrasound.

octmom
10-14-2005, 02:00 PM
What a guy! I swear that I feel like starting a fan club for Dr. T some days. ;) How are you feeling anyway, Paula?

Jerilyn (Starting to feel guilty for taking this thread off on a tangent)

DS, Sean 10/03

octmom
10-14-2005, 02:02 PM
That is interesting. I wouldn't have minded if the ultrasounds shaved a few ounces off my 10 pound, 5.5 ounce DS! Maybe then he could have fit and I could have avoided a C/S last time! ;)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

KrisM
10-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Funny. DS was only 9 lbs 6 oz and I really want to have the VBAC this time, so maybe I should agree to the test too :).

pb&j
10-14-2005, 02:28 PM
>The ultrasound heats the fluid and can cause cavitation.
>While these aren't hugely harmful, there are some concerns
>that multiple ultrasounds can contribute to low birth weight,
>left handedness in boys that occurs more than normal, speech
>and hearing problems. As I understand, these studies were
>mostly small, so are possibly less than accurate, but it still
>makes me think twice before agreeing to any ultrasound.
>
>

Wait till I tell DH - he is hoping for a left-handed pitcher! ;)

I agree, though, there aren't many studies done about the possible negative effects of u/s. By now it's so ubiquitous, I wonder how that could even be accomplished.

-Ry,

HannaAddict
10-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I agree completely. It is so non-invasive and you get the initial results right away. We did it in combination with the blood tests, but the initial nuchal fold test part of the equation was reassuring and immediate.

Kimberly