PDA

View Full Version : OT: Arch window treatments (pic)...

muskiesusan
10-14-2005, 08:02 AM
We have this huge arch window in our master bedroom that needs some sort of window treatment. The house faces east and we roast with the morning sun, not to mention all the fading going on in the room!

The only treatments I have found are fan like blinds, but they aren't really my style and I hate to spend the $$$ on something I don't love. Do you know of any other options?

Here's a pic of the window. I know it isn't the best, but with all the light coming in, it's what I ended up with. The walls are chocolate brown.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29843.jpg

Thanks!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

LaurelC
10-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Susan,

What a gorgeous window! We have some arched windows in our house, but they are not as large as yours and not in our bedroom - so we just leave arched part open. I can see why you wouldn't want to do that in your case, though!

I don't like those fan like blinds or shades either. I found these on the Hunter Douglas website http://www.hunterdouglas.com/product_options_shade_duette_easyview_arch.jsp

If the link doesn't work, it is the duette easyview arch

I like that you can raise and lower them, unlike the fan shaped ones. They also don't have that "fan" look. There are some better pictures of them in the Duette photo gallery too.

ctmom
10-14-2005, 08:40 AM
you might be able to get some inspiration from the smithandnoble.com website...

Momof3Labs
10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
No answers here, as we have the same window (well, three of them) in our new house! One is in the baby's room, so I *have* to figure out how to cover it! All three of ours face south - the second is in our room and the third in the entryway. Our windows and baby's windows already have dark wood shutters, so I don't know if a custom fabric treatment would look better than honeycomb type shades, but the fan-like honeycombs are the only widely available treatment I've found so far.

jbowman
10-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Hi Susan,

We also have a large arched window in our bedroom. We had white shutters put on the window, and IMO it looks fabulous! It was a little pricey, but worth it since it keeps the sun out and looks summer-y year round. :)

bunnisa
10-14-2005, 02:25 PM
We have three arched windows about the size of yours. Like the PP, we have shutters, and I think they look very nice. Plus they never go out of style!

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

karolyp
10-14-2005, 05:43 PM
I had a window like that which faced due east. Needless to say, that room roasted in the morning! Here's what I did (and it was cheap). First I went to Home Depot and got a piece of flimsy PVC that I could bend to fit in the window (but strong enough that it would stay arched). Then I got two curtains and ran the PVC through them and saftey pinned the two curtains together at the top. Then I fitted in the window and gathered the other end of the curtains up in the middle, tied them together, and let them hang down. I'm sorry I don't have any pics, and I hope I'm making sense!!

muskiesusan
10-14-2005, 08:25 PM
for the responses. I will check out the links and ideas. I'm not the most creative, so I am thinking about going to a window treatment designer. I am thinking that I would prefer something made of fabric.

Thanks!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

hez
10-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Email me if you want the name of my friend who's an interior designer. She was part of the group that just took a bunch of firsts at the Lifestyles Homearama last month. She's helped me with 4 rooms of window treatments so far (designs for the 5th!).