PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping - turning over related issues

yhtking
10-17-2005, 11:33 PM
DD is about four and half months old now. She started to turn over at night and ended up on her tummy and waking herself up. Ugh, very frustrating trying to calm her down at night. The wedge doesn't work because she turns over them. Any suggestions???

Mommy to Tyler (6-6-3) and baby Hailey (6-4-5)

juliasmom05
10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
I am not sure I can offer you any great advice but we just recently went through this with DD. She started rolling over from back to tummy at 3 months. She would wake up crying because she hated to be on her tummy. I was terrified to have her tummy, so I would immediately roll her back over. It was hard to get her back to sleep so I ended up nursing her. She rolled over several times a night for a couple of days and then stopped.

We tried to give her more tummy time during the day so that she would be more comfortable on her tummy and strength her muscles. She hated to be flat on the ground and would cry as soon as we put her on her tummy, so we propped her on the boppy pillow which she tolerated much more. We also did tummy time in the morning when she was less cranky.

Our ped told us not to worry about her flipping over onto her stomach at night, because if she was strong enough to do it, she was strong enough to lift her head up off the bed. Several weeks later she started rolling over again, but by this time she had begun to roll back the other way. Although she hadn't mastered this yet, it made me feel a little better because I knew she could :). At this point, even if we put her on her back she would immediately roll onto her stomach. I think once they start rolling over it is impossible to keep them from doing it. We tried for a few days, and then just decided to let her sleep on her stomach. She is 6 months now and prefers to sleep on her stomach. I have ALMOST stopped worrying that something will she is sleeping her tummy.

Just really wanted to let you know that a lot of babies go though this stage. For some it takes a couple of days to learn to roll the other way, and for some, like DD, it may take longer.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions or reassurances because I know alot of the other mamas here have gone through this as well. If you do a search (maybe rolling over and sleep) you will find several past threads on this topic.

Hang in there

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/12/05

almostamom
10-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Oh, I have so been there. In fact, here's a link to my post of a few months ago about almost the exact same thing:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=205286&mesg_id=205286&listing_type=search

As I recall, it lasted a few days or maybe a week until he figured out how to roll the other way. It was a long few days without much sleep for either of us, but the issue did resolve itself. Now the problem is he hates to be on his back - especially for diaper changes!

Hang in there, this too shall pass.

:)
~Linda~
DS 11/04

yhtking
10-18-2005, 10:31 PM
My DS never had this problem. DD is much strong than him at this age. She is four months and two weeks today. Anyway, I finally gave up and put her in the swing to sleep. We will see how long it will last. She is okay on her tummy, except when she is trying to go to sleep and flipping onto her tummy. Is your son sleeping on her tummy now? It's hard b/c our hands are full with our 28 mos. old as well. Hopefully this is just a phase. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Mommy to Tyler (6-6-3) and baby Hailey (6-4-5)