PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Phoenix

morgan47
10-19-2005, 12:12 PM
My husband and I are considering moving to Phoenix at some point to be closer to my family and for other reasons. I grew up in Tucson, which is where my entire immediate family still resides. Although we would prefer to move to Tucson, DH would have to leave his company, but he might be able to get a transfer to Phoenix instead. But I don't know much about Phoenix, and as a Tucsonian, I'm obviously biased toward the Old Pueblo.

How are the schools in Phoenix? Is good daycare easy to find? I've heard that Phoenix is more humid than Tucson -- is this true? And does it really seem that much hotter than Tucson? How is traffic, the job market, the cost and quality of living?

If we did move, we would want to be as close to Tucson as possible, since we'd be going there quite a bit to see the family. It looks like Chandler would be a good location. Does anyone have any info on living in Chandler?

We're going to check out the area when we're in Tucson for Christmas, but I'd love to hear from people who live in or around Phoenix. Even better if you have lived in the SF Bay Area (where we are now) so you can do a comparison.

Thanks!!

Zansu
10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm in Tucson, but lived in Phoenix for a summer (only one, thank goodness!).

Phoenix *is* hotter and more humid than Tucson. Tucson is higher in elevation, has less concrete and asphalt, and most people have desert-friendly landscaping.

Phoenix is closer to sea level, has lots of heat-retaining surfaces, and still allows flood irrigation of lawns.

There was a long thread on moving to Phoenix, which I will try to find.

Here it is: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=37&topic_id=205669&mesg_id=205669&listing_type=search

saschalicks
10-19-2005, 04:28 PM
UofA is my Alma Mater and my ex-boyfriend's parents lived in Scottsdale, so we visited there often. The monsoons don't affect Phoenix as much as they do Tucson. Tucson has no real freeway/highway system, however Phoenix is getting better. Traffic downtown as I recall can be difficult during commuter hours, but what town isn't. I found Phoenix to have more greenery as far as vegetation where Tucson has the true desert look (as you know). I wish I could give you more info. I know DH's closest friend just moved there and they found a gorgeous home (twice what we could get here in Los Angeles). Good luck!

Think of me when you go home. I sometimes long for my college days in Tucson. :)

lisams
10-19-2005, 04:46 PM
I live in Chandler. It is hotter than Tuscon, and pretty dry year round (except during the monsoon season). Chandler schools are okay - we don't plan on putting DD in the district but luckily there are some good alternatives. Housing cost is going up. For a 1700-2000 square foot house you're looking at about 200,000 at least. The job market is looking good, Google is considering building a plant here, and there are some major fortune 500 companies. There are a lot of nice parks, and the parks and rec. program is really nice - lots of classes for little ones. Shopping is good, plenty of restaurants. There is tons of road construction as there are a lot of new homes being built so traffic is hit or miss depending on where you live, once they are done it will be nice though!

I really like Chandler, it seems to be a nice place to raise a family. Just don't breastfeed here (kidding, I'll post later about that!) Let me know if you have any other questions!

morgan47
10-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I just have laugh at the $200,000 figure for a house. A house of that size in my area would go for close to $700,000, more closer to San Francisco. With the equity in our house, we could buy a house in Phoenix with no mortgage, and have money left over (something to think about!).

I think I saw part of the thread about BFing in Chandler. I'll be sure to be discreet...NOT!

I'd really much rather move to Tucson, mostly to be right where my family is. And I love the desert vs. the irrigated lawn look. Phoenix always seemed to me to be an L.A. wannabe, but that could just be what Tucsonians say. I just wish DH could be easily transferred to Tucson. And that I wouldn't have to give up my job to move.

lisams
10-19-2005, 07:39 PM
In that case housing is cheap here :-)! Holy cows, I can't imagine having to spend that much on a smallish size house. No mortgage sounds really nice!

At least Tucson isn't that far of a drive if you decide to move out to the East Valley.

Good luck!!

slknight
10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
There are a few more threads about Phoenix.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=37&topic_id=189970&mesg_id=189970&listing_type=search

This one also has some info:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=37&topic_id=175777&mesg_id=175777&listing_type=search

MarisaSF
10-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Phoenicians-
I'm not sure if I ever posted my news to the Lounge, though I have been in touch with some of you via e-mail. Thanks for all your help. Those threads really helped us.

The BIG news here is that Jazz, DH and I are moving to the Phoenix area in June '06. DH will work in Snottsdale (hee hee, isn't that what the locals call it?). We'll look for a home this winter.

Unfortunately, the rent we've paid in SF generated no equity. ;)

We love SF, but just really wanted hot weather.... uh, I mean, to buy a house.

I'm looking forward to changing my user name and meeting y'all. BBB party at our place! :)

C99
10-19-2005, 08:51 PM
> Google is considering building a plant here,

Really? Some friends of ours are in process of moving from Phoenix back to the SF Bay Area...to go work for Google.

lisams
10-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Yup! Here's a link to a recent article in the paper: http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/1014ev-googleZ6.html

Maybe they won't have to move, although it's so early in the game it could be a while.

almostamom
10-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Marisa,
I finally sent you a long owed email last week, but my computer is acting rather "wonky" when it comes to sending/receiving emails. Just wondering if you received it or if I should resend it. I'm so looking forward to you living here! :)
~Linda~
DS 11/04

C99
10-19-2005, 10:11 PM
How ironic! They are moving, though.

I wish Google would open an engineering campus in Chicago.

MarisaSF
10-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Linda! I got it, and started a reply to you. It's in my drafts... and I forgot about it (blush). I'll write back soon. THANK YOU for the great info!

morgan47
10-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Well if there's gonna be a big BBB party then we might just have to move there! :)

Thanks for all the comments. We'll just have to check it out and see if it's worth pursuing. I'm just getting so tired of the cost of living and traffic in the Bay Area, not to mention my 90 minute commute and not a single family member around to help with DS. I think the only reason we're staying here right now is for our jobs.

But it's a tough decision in many ways. If we leave here, we'll probably never be able to afford to come back if we change our minds.

MarisaSF
10-20-2005, 11:07 AM
Where are you in the bay area?
We will always consider SF one of our "homes." We keep the option open of retiring there someday -- a cozy little condo downtown perhaps? It just wasn't where we imagined rasing our kids. And, for us, the jobs were better in AZ.

morgan47
10-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Funny, the jobs are better for us here, which is the problem! We live in Martinez, but I work in San Francisco. My office recently moved from right near the Montgomery BART station to next to SBC park. So it has become an even more horrible commute for me. Hubby is in sales and drives all over, but at least a lot of it is on work time.

I'm not so sure about raising kids here. It seems OK in my area and the schools here are pretty good (can't say the same for other areas). But with my commute I have little time for my DS during the week. That's not good for anyone.

If we do move to Phoenix, it might not be until next summer too, so we'd be joining you then.